This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with school project on pain

In my pathology/pharmacology class we are currently studying the concept of pain. I need to get information from 3 people about any pain they experience in their life (each one is supposed to be different, so not all headaches or backaches).

If you can take the time to help, all you need to do is reply with the answers to the questions below. It's anonymous, so I don't need any of your biographical information.

Thanks! I really appreciate anyone who replies!

1) Describe the pain. What does it feel like? Below are some common descriptors:
    Aching
    Burning
    Crawling
    Crushing
    Heaviness
    Icy coldness
    Intermittent
    Numbing
    Piercing
    Pounding
    Pressure
    Sharp
    Shooting
    Sore
    Stabbing
    Tearing
    Tenderness
    Throbbing
    Tightness
    Tingling

2) When did you first experience the pain?

3) Where, as specifically as possible, is the pain?

4) When you experience the pain, how long does it last?

5) On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain of your life, what is the severity of the pain?

6) Is there any pattern to the pain? For example, does it radiate out? Is it constant or intermittent? Does it occur cyclically?

7) Is there anything that makes the pain worse (aggravates it)?

8) Is there anything that provides you relief from the pain (alleviates it)?

9) How are you attempting to deal with the pain and how affective is what you are doing?

10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it?
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

1) Describe the pain. What does it feel like? Below are some common descriptors:
    Aching in joints and stomach
    Sharp stabbing pain intermittently in the stomach
    Shooting pains in mussels and joints
    Tenderness in skin and a feeling of shattering when touched
    Throbbing joints and headaches

Since I was 8 years old

3) Where, as specifically as possible, is the pain? Stomach, skin, joints.

4) When you experience the pain, how long does it last? Stabbing pain lasts for 1 -2 after eating wheat, skin and joint issues last 20-25 days after consumption of wheat.

5) On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain of your life, what is the severity of the pain?
    Skin pain is about a 4 stomach pains can be up to a 7 joints are 4-5 intermittently.

6) Is there any pattern to the pain? For example, does it radiate out? Is it constant or intermittent? Does it occur cyclically?
    Occurs in conjunction with intentional or accidental consumption of gluten, increasing in severity and length depending on quantity consumed.
    Lack of sleep, other allergies
    Avoiding wheat and drinking water.

9) How are you attempting to deal with the pain and how affective is what you are doing?
    Avoiding wheat, healthy lifestyle choices. Lots of water.
    10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it? Yes and celiacs.

Comment

Malformed left shoulder joint where the head of the humorous sits to far into the shoulder joint restricting a full swinging movement. (that good enough?)

Aching
      Piercing
      Pressure
      Sharp
      Shooting
      Sore
      Stabbing
      Tenderness
      Throbbing
      Tightness

2) When did you first experience the pain? after leaving the high school swim team in my freshman year, and had tried out for the tennis team.

3) Where, as specifically as possible, is the pain? the deltoid muscles closest to the head of the humorous.

4) When you experience the pain, how long does it last? It normally only flairs up when a storm front move through or I over extend myself on swimming. When affected by the weather, normally not till the storm hits. When affected by swimming, a few hours after I stop.

5) On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain of your life, what is the severity of the pain? varies, again depends on several factors. a light rain will be a 1, a hurricane will make it an 11 with almost no movement. over extending on swimming, a 4 at worst

6) Is there any pattern to the pain? For example, does it radiate out? Is it constant or intermittent? Does it occur cyclically? Its pretty much a central pain, most times feels like a iron spike is being shoved through the collar bone through the humorous, out the shoulder blade.

7) Is there anything that makes the pain worse (aggravates it)? Weather

8) Is there anything that provides you relief from the pain (alleviates it)? Hot water soak (hot tub), ibprophen, touch therapy (like reiki)

9) How are you attempting to deal with the pain and how affective is what you are doing? Since it seems to be a mild beginning stage of arthritis I handle it with the methods described above, which help me handle it on a day to day basis.

10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it? I did physical therapy to help break the shoulder out of to much scar tissue, and still do the exercises when I feel it starting to seize up. Its been more officially diagnosed as Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis.

Hope this helps ^^
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Misaligned Spine

Sharp
        Stabbing
        Piercing
        Tenderness

10 days ago

Lower-left quadrant of back, close to spine.

It never stops.

8, at its worst. 6 when I'm at rest.

It's constant, and centralized to the same location.

Sitting/standing for extended periods of time, laying in the same position for several hours, standing up/sitting down, going up/down steps, bending.

Prescription painkillers and muscle-relaxers offer minor relief. They make me sleep, and I feel less pain when sleeping.

9) How are you attempting to deal with the pain and how effective is what you are doing?

I've been more or less bedridden. It's not very effective but there isn't much else I can do thanks to my loss of mobility.

10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it?

I saw my doctor, who is also a D.O. twice in the last week. I've had an ultrasound massage and manipulation of my back. Both provided only temporary lessening of pain. I am currently seeking physical therapy under my physician's recommendation. I forgot to ask about the diagnosis.
        Last edited by Kara; 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM.
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
          In my pathology/pharmacology class we are currently studying the concept of pain. I need to get information from 3 people about any pain they experience in their life (each one is supposed to be different, so not all headaches or backaches).

If you can take the time to help, all you need to do is reply with the answers to the questions below. It's anonymous, so I don't need any of your biographical information.

Thanks! I really appreciate anyone who replies!
          Pseudogout in both feet
          during an attack: when the feet are not being touched - throbbing, pressuree - both due to the 2 to 3 cm edema both top and bottom of foot involved. [it doesn't normally hit both feet at the same time]
          when the feet are being touched - imagine a 20 ton triphammer landing on your foot. Worse than labor or kidney stones being passed.

Not during an attack - a light throbbing, occasional sharp pain if I step wrong.

1 week post parathyroidectomy, oct 2005
          distal ends 4th and 5th metatarsals both feet though it can hit any of the joints in the feet
          varies - a flare can run anything from 2 days to 3 weeks.
          not in flare 1, in flare 6 when not touched, 10 when touched
          as it is based on inflammation, when the flare is fully engaged it is a base throbbing, with a feeling of 'fully inflated mast trousers' sort of pressure if I flex the ankle [mainly IMHO from the edema stretching the skin and not allowing it to move normally] that is constant until the edema resolves. When the foot that is involved is touched, it is immediate and sharp and decreases unless the touching continues.
          allowing myself to get dehydrated, walking on the foot when not in flare, high stress levels.
          colchicine and indomethicin.
          I have discovered that there is a a prticular sensation associated with nonstress related flares, if I immediately take a prophylactic dose of colchicine it can head off an active flare.
          10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it? yes. Chondrocalcinosis.

[I can do a similar ones for osteoarthritis of the knees, femoralacitabular impingement of the hip, impingement of the sacrum and spinal stenosis if you want.]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Aching
            Sharp
            Shooting
            Sore
            Stabbing

2) When did you first experience the pain? Following an injury in early 2012.

3) Where, as specifically as possible, is the pain? Mainly across the top of my foot, concentrated along my arch.

4) When you experience the pain, how long does it last? The dull ache is pretty constant. The shooting, stabbing pain comes and goes and may last minutes or hours.

5) On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain of your life, what is the severity of the pain? Lately it has been between 3 to 5, although sometimes with rest it does get down to a 1 or 2.

6) Is there any pattern to the pain? For example, does it radiate out? Is it constant or intermittent? Does it occur cyclically? When I have "flare ups," the pain radiates out into my toes and up towards my ankle. Otherwise it is pretty constant, although if I rest and keep it elevated there are times when it's hardly noticeable.

7) Is there anything that makes the pain worse (aggravates it)? Walking too much, wearing shoes that don't offer enough support, and the rain. Humidity definitely makes it worse.

8) Is there anything that provides you relief from the pain (alleviates it)? Rest, elevation, and percocet.

9) How are you attempting to deal with the pain and how affective is what you are doing? I take my pain medication as prescribed and rest when I need to. I wear sneakers a lot; heels are physically out of the question. I don't put weight on my foot if I don't need to. For example if I need to do dishes, I'll put a chair in front of the sink and kneel on it. It's moderately effective.

10) Have you sought medical attention for your pain? Do you have a formal diagnosis? If so, what is it? Yes, chronic pain due to traumatic injury.
            Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Aching
              Burning
              Numbing
              Piercing
              Tenderness

(It depends on the day and my activity level.)

After my car accident in 2003. It spread after my jaw surgery in 2011.

My lower left leg, ankle, inside. It spreads upward, and to the other leg, when I'm stressed.

As for my jaw, my front chin (in-between lips and chin). My temples when I'm stressed, and the hinges of my jaw.

A few hours. It really depends on my level of activity.

Varies from 0-7, depending on the day. 7 is when it feels like my bones are actually shrinking from the pressure of stepping down.

Intermittent. Usually if I rest, the pain goes away, but not always.

Long walks, stress.

Beta-blockers to prevent stress from exacerbating it. The chin pain is nerve pain, so no, but the leg, from mild-to-moderate, is effectively treated by icyhot.

Dealing with stress, preventing lip and cheek chewing, resting a lot.

Yes. Nerve pain, all of it, sometimes exacerbated by stress.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone!
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Probably too late for this, but here it is anyhow.

Piercing
                  Sharp
                  Shooting
                  Stabbing
                  Throbbing
                  Tingling

About a year ago. Roughly.

From mid calf to tips of toes.

Unending. 24/7

It varies from 5 to me curled up in a fetal position crying (10)

Constant

No.

Just medication.

Getting professional assistance, and it helps .. a lot.

Yes, yes, and Diabetic Neuropathy (spelling)

Note : About the crying part. I've taken the hardest hit from a 6'4" football player and laughed at him. So if something makes me cry (besides sad songs and the like) it is pretty serious.
                  Last edited by Mytical; 06-13-2013, 05:41 AM.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Aching
                    Pressure
                    Sore
                    Tenderness
                    Throbbing
                    Tightness

After my car accident in mid-April.

Along the dorsum of my right foot, and sometimes up into my anterior ankle

It never really goes away completely, but when it flares up I'd say it's an average of 3 hours or so before it tempers down again.

Usualy 1-2. Can go up to a 4 if I'm on my feet a lot, but mostly it's quite mild.

Constant, but varies in intensity. It will sometimes radiate up my ankle.

Walking, squatting, anything weight-bearing on my feet. High-impact activities and going up/down inclines are the worst.

Ice and massage, ibuprofen, staying off my foot

I take ibuprofen as needed. The pain is mild enough that I can manage it that way.

I am currently in physical therapy where they have been doing the Graston Technique on my foot/ankle. It's a soft-tissue injury most likely caused by my talus jamming too far up into the joint capsule during the accident.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think I now have a very apt way of describing the pain of diabetic neuropathy (spelling). Take some cacti...set them on fire, then roll around on them.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X