This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I sucky?

So, on Christmas Eve, around noon, I went to the grocery store to pick up somethings for Christmas dinner that my mom had forgotten on her earlier foray, and to pay the water bill.

Now, I had only taken a certain amount of money, and I wanted to ensure that I had enough so I went and got the groceries first, and then to pay the bill at the Courtesy Counter.

When I got to the counter there were a couple of people ahead of me, and I got in line. When I approached the counter, I set down the items in my arms, reached in my coat pocket for the bill, and promptly dropped it on the ground.

By the time I had picked it up, the lady who runs the Courtesy Counter throughout the week was on the phone. I assumed that the phone had rang and I had missed it, so I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

When she finally said something into the phone, it was clear that she was leaving a voice mail. For a customer that had forgotten/lost their CC. Which means that SHE made the call. I was pretty upset about this, especially as when I worked for this same establishment it would be unacceptable to tend to such a task while there were customers physically waiting.

When my transaction was complete, I sought out the manager, and made it clear that, while I didn't like to make complaints, I did not appreciate being forced to wait while she took care of tasks that could be postponed to a more opportune time.

Then I checked myself out, and went home.

So, was it sucky of me to go to the manager over this?

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

IMO..I think it was sucky and it would be sucky if a manager reprimanded the employee. If it was a personal call, it would be a different story..but I can just imagine the panic of the person who lost/forgot their credit card.

I say good on the employee for acting quick to ease the customer's mind IMO.

Comment

No, it wasn't sucky. It's basic customer service rule: a live customer waiting to be served trumps a phone call that could be made after the customer is dealt with.

Now if you went off on a rampage to the manager and were demanding the cashier's job or something, that would be sucky, but if you just brought to the manager's attention that the cashier should reevaluate their priorities, then it was fine.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
        but I can just imagine the panic of the person who lost/forgot their credit card.
        If you lost/forgot your credit card, you are an idiot if you don't cancel it and get it replaced. The person calling you may be honest, you don't know. But you don't know how many other people will have/have had access to your number.

In all my jobs where I worked customer service for a credit card, when someone reported they found a credit card, our first action was mandatory cancellation of that card. In most we then sent a letter saying the card was cancelled for security as it was reported found, please call us if you wish it replaced.

Comment

To me, this doesn't rise to the level of "complain to a manager" unless I am waiting for an unreasonably long period of time--say 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't want to see somebody get reprimanded for trying to do the right thing.

I agree that in-store customers should get priority over customers calling from home or any other business, but the circumstances make this a tougher call.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Should the cashier get in trouble? No. But this is a learning opportunity that will prevent it from becoming a habit. A good manager won't bring the hammer down on the cashier, but will instruct them on proper customer service. Some people don't "get it" on their own... which is what training is for. No big deal.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
              IMO..I think it was sucky and it would be sucky if a manager reprimanded the employee. If it was a personal call, it would be a different story..but I can just imagine the panic of the person who lost/forgot their credit card.

I say good on the employee for acting quick to ease the customer's mind IMO.
              I agree kibbles. Every call I have made to an individual, (when they left things at my big box store or their photo order was ready) the wait for the voicemail is 39 seconds to 1 minute.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                If you lost/forgot your credit card, you are an idiot if you don't cancel it and get it replaced. The person calling you may be honest, you don't know. But you don't know how many other people will have/have had access to your number.
                Oh I agree..but sometimes by the time you realize it's missing and call to cancel..there got to be panic in thinking what could have happened or been charged in the mean time - I think it was especially thoughtful of the worker to attempt to ease someone's worries IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X