Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donate an insane amount of product and we'll talk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donate an insane amount of product and we'll talk!

I'm in a LARP group. Not as active as I once was, but I get to go now and again. A friend (not in the group) does costuming, leather and embroidery, and asked me to bring some samples and business cards to an event. I did. There are a few people who already sell their own wares in the group, so I can see that there would be that sense of loyalty to 'buy local,' but sometimes nobody you know makes what you want. My friend was contacted by the head of props from one of the group chapters. He said he LOVED her stuff, and if she donated 100 (ONE HUNDRED!!!) embroidered tabards he'd be MORE than happy to tell everyone where they came from and try and drum up some business for her.

Nah, thanks. We'll just keep handing out business cards!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Wow...he has some big....nerve.

Comment

That's like promising exposure if an entertainer performs for free.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

"Why, sure! I'll donate them for my cost plus 20% each..."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One HUNDRED??? Are they fucking kidding???? Sorry, but being married to someone that does embroidery as a sideline, that's beyond ridiculous. Hell, that's even beyond insulting.

Let me think here. Something simple, say a 3"x3" shield, solid color. Machine embroidered decently, I'd estimate at about 8,000 - 10,000 stitches, conservatively. On her machine, figure about 600 stitches per minute, say 500 for the sake of argument. So that's 20 minutes per piece.

Tack onto that setup and cleanup time for each, and you're looking at say 30 minutes for each one. They want 50 HOURS worth of work for free? And that's not counting additional time for custom digitizing if the design doesn't already exist. If there's color/thread changes and/or design changes, kick that way up. And we're not even including material costs.

For a friend's wedding, my wife embroidered 100 yards of trim, and it took her months to do. It came out beautiful, and the wedding was amazing, but that was their wedding gift from us.

I would have slapped him if he made that offer to my wife.
          Last edited by Crossbow; 12-07-2013, 03:09 AM. Reason: My pathetic math skills at 5:15PM on a Friday night...
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

At the next tourney I would have him dubbed "Sir Pells".
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ya, I will donate those tabards when you donate some money to my worthy cause.
              "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                That's like promising exposure if an entertainer performs for free.
                That probably isn't the best example, because a lot of performers do exactly that (I had a coworker that was/is in a local indie band and they perform for free all the time just to get people exposed to them and buying their CDs).

Now, if he wanted one or two samples, that would probably be reasonable... 100, yeah, he's just trying to get free props and probably would have shafted the artist in the long run anyway.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Wow, that is not even remotely a good offer! WTF was that guy thinking? That's about a full work week worth of time, not to mention materials, for free? No way!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    He said he LOVED her stuff, and if she donated 100 (ONE HUNDRED!!!) embroidered tabards he'd be MORE than happy to tell everyone where they came from and try and drum up some business for her.

Nah, thanks. We'll just keep handing out business cards!
                    Why do they always demand an absurd amount of freebies of goods you have to make by hand?! It's not like you can just run those tabards on your printer. You would think that someone who was in a LARP group would have some inkling of the amount of work required for these things.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Why do they always demand an absurd amount of freebies of goods you have to make by hand?! It's not like you can just run those tabards on your printer. You would think that someone who was in a LARP group would have some inkling of the amount of work required for these things.
                      I once worked overnight as a security guard in a Bank Operations Center and they didn't care what I did as long as I stayed awake and walked my rounds once an hour until it was 7 am and people started coming in to work. So I used to make costuming and such like little busywork projects. I had a roomie who wanted me to make him a wizards robe based on a really lovely thick velvety bathrobe with a hood, so I grabbed my copy of the Key of Solomon and started embroidering the little demon rondels and the summoning chant along the plackard and sleeve ends that where a different color from the robe itself [they were in burgundy, and the robe body was in black.] A hundred or so hours later when it was effectively finished [and he had actually moved out on me, with absolutely no notice just before rent was due...] I called him to let him know it was almost done, just another weekend of stitching. He was going to pay me when he picked it up ... was $50US ok ... So then he offered to pay minimum wage and wanted to know how much that would be ... until he found out that would be multiple hundred $$US. Needless to say, he didn't get the robe, I found someone else to buy it. And it featured in a few dreams of me wearing it at the con, and someone starting to read the summoning and a demon popping in in response
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        So then he offered to pay minimum wage and wanted to know how much that would be ... until he found out that would be multiple hundred $$US.
                        Yeah, know what you mean. I'm doing a Celtic rope in red with Herne symbols on a hood for a very good friend. That's not even anywhere near robe length and its going to be about 30 hrs of hand sewing. I'm doing it as a gift but an offer of $50 (or the UK equivalent) would be an insult even for that.
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Damn....it makes my boyfriend's LARP group look like they're wearing rags by comparison.

Their tabards are just simple red/blue ones with no braiding whatsoever.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Wow, I hope her reply was dripping with sarcasm.
                            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Working...
                            X