This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lottery idiots

Now, I play the lottery. I'm not one who spends hundreds on scratchers, but I put in a few bucks in a week hoping to come out with something. However, I've had 2 instances where I was stuck in line because of some of these morons who probably spend hundreds a week on lotto tickets.

The first one was at a convienience store in a mall I frequent. I just wanted to buy 2 scratchers, but was behind this woman who was playing the daily games (pick 3 and pick 4). She must have been using some kind of system because she had 40 dollars worth of combos. Fine, if she wants to spend that much, be my guest, but lady please use the PLAYSLIPS to fill out your numbers before you make us wait an eternity. It not only makes it quicker, but I'm sure it makes it easier for the cashier who has type in the numbers individually on the computer system. I'm pretty sure the computer system is there in case a slip won't go through, but I have a hard time beleiving that out of 8+ playslips, none of them would go through.

The second one was at a grocery store. I'm pretty sure I only wanted a mega millions easy pick, but the elderly woman in front of me wanted her tickets checked. Fine, she had some scratchers and they were checked. I think she won 10 bucks on one of them because she wanted some more tickets afterwards. After getting those tickets, she proceeds to scratch them off at the counter! I mean, this must have been taking 10 minutes. The woman behind me was rolling her eyes at me, rightfully annoyed that this broad couldn't just scratch her tickets elsewhere and then come back to pick up her winnings (if any at all) No, she had to hold up everyone else, and waste the clerks time.

Uh, that reminds me of one of the regular customers at my local drugstore.

This guy always has to get his MANY lottery tickets verified by the cashier - one by one, very slowly and very loudly. And he does that twice a week - on Saturdays, when he renews his tickets, and on Tuesday when he has to check whether there were winnings on the tickets.

It has become a rule of thumb that if/when you enter the drugstore and spot "Slo-Mo" standing in line, then exit again and run your other errands first - it may take up to half an hour before he's finished.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Half an hour? Jeez!

And I bet as a result, the many customers waiting in line become cranky, the store clerks become stressed out, more SCs emerge, and a fun time is had by none.

Jackasses.

Comment

I have no qualms about asking someone scratching tickets at the counter to move aside so other people can play.

The times when someone turns on me to snap about waiting are usually the times I look most pitiful with my walker and my dog. People usually think twice about making a "cripple" stand around while they play lotto.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Arrrghhhh!

That drives me BATSHIT insane!!! Especially when I'm purchasing coffee or some other caffienated beverage, and the idiot lotto-scratcher is keeping me from my 'fix'!

I was in a similar line recently, and when I got up to the counter I commiserated with the clerk a bit. She actually *apologized* for it and said that they 'weren't allowed' to ask them to move!! WTF? Are you kidding me? Keep the idiot lotto-scratcher happy while 5 other people are getting annoyed and impatient, having to wait around on some EW.

I sooooo wish a manager had been there that morning. I would have given him/her a piece of my mind for not allowing the clerks to put the kibosh on that horseshit.

Damn, hit a nerve. Didn't mean to thread-jack - sorry.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            I was in a similar line recently, and when I got up to the counter I commiserated with the clerk a bit. She actually *apologized* for it and said that they 'weren't allowed' to ask them to move!! WTF? Are you kidding me? Keep the idiot lotto-scratcher happy while 5 other people are getting annoyed and impatient, having to wait around on some EW.
            Sure... if the addict is not interrupted then they will continue to play until they sate themselves. That means more money is spent. Now, the store doesn't get much off lotto sales in my state, except if they happen to get a big winner, in which case they get a huge kick-back for having sold the winning ticket.

Not interrupting the gamblers may be your store owner/manager's way of playing the lotto, gambling that one of the regulars will win to counter what they lose from pissing off the "just stopping in for a soda" customers like yourself.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I don't miss the lottery junkies at all. There were quite a few of them when I worked at the grocery store.

But the worst wasn't one of the regulars. It was a guy that came in with his three kids and his paycheck. He cashed his paycheck and then proceeded to spend all but $50 of it on tickets for the $100 million lottery drawing.

After I reluctantly gave him the 400+ tickets, he told his kids 'Better hope we win because that's the only way we can afford to buy food for you guys.' He then proceeded to go spend his $50 on beer.

The next day he came back to cash in his tickets. His total winnings: $117.00 If it wasn't for the poor kids with him, I'd have laughed in his face. F***ing jackass.

Comment

Fun lottery story:

Mt father's friend owned a packie (liquor store) which had lottery. The lil ol' lady was going to be next to buy a ticket when the jerk behind her pushed ahead and bough one (he bought what would have been hers) He got a losing ticket. SHe bought what would have been his, and won like $100.

Karma's a bitch
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                  Fun lottery story:

Mt father's friend owned a packie (liquor store) which had lottery. The lil ol' lady was going to be next to buy a ticket when the jerk behind her pushed ahead and bough one (he bought what would have been hers) He got a losing ticket. SHe bought what would have been his, and won like $100.

Karma's a bitch
                  HAHA! That's awesome!

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                    I don't miss the lottery junkies at all. There were quite a few of them when I worked at the grocery store.

But the worst wasn't one of the regulars. It was a guy that came in with his three kids and his paycheck. He cashed his paycheck and then proceeded to spend all but $50 of it on tickets for the $100 million lottery drawing.

After I reluctantly gave him the 400+ tickets, he told his kids 'Better hope we win because that's the only way we can afford to buy food for you guys.' He then proceeded to go spend his $50 on beer.

The next day he came back to cash in his tickets. His total winnings: $117.00 If it wasn't for the poor kids with him, I'd have laughed in his face. F***ing jackass.
                    And that's why I never spend more than 10 dollars a transaction in lottery (now I only do one wager, considering that's all you need to win). Some people shouldn't have kids.

Comment

My lottery rule:

If I'd get better entertainment value per dollar buying a book, renting a DVD, having a slice of good cake at the cafe, or something else like that: I do the whatever-else.

If I'd get better entertainment value daydreaming about what I'll do 'when' I win, I'll buy the ticket.

I buy about two tickets a year.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                      X