This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches

I've been experiencing headaches bordering on migraine regularly for almost 2 mos.
    My Dr isn't much help, and out of desperation I turned to a friend who uses essential oils for treating such things and asked for help.

She suggested a brand name that she likes.

One drop rubbed on each temple and... it's manageable, almost all gone.

Totally worth the $20 for the oil and shipping.
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-06-2015, 03:19 AM. Reason: edited out brand name

Just googled it and that actually looks like it would smell nice. Might try to mix it myself.

On a side note, have you added anything to your diet or life in the last few months? It may be that you are near or ingesting something that is triggering the migraines. It could be as simple as a change in laundry detergent or someone at work wearing a new perfume.

Most of my family suffer from migraines that are caused by everything from plants to food additives to perfumes to cleaning products and chemicals. It can be really difficult to pin down the cause for us and most doctors struggle to diagnose migraines because the triggers/causes can be so different from person to person.

Keep trying with your doctor. One of the things my doc and I found that helped was keeping a journal of everything that I ate, drank or was near. It's a pain, but eventually it helps narrow down the possibilities.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Things to list in a migraine diary are: Food, sleep, fluid intake, meds, weather, and for the ladies, the time of month. I did this years ago by myself (because migraines were less understood 20 years ago) and found that my triggers were too much sleep for my age, had to increase my fluid intake for the night, reduce/avoid certain foods, wish for menopause and that the barometer didn't do the jig. Take the diary to your doctor and discuss what might help for those migraines you can't avoid, like my PMS and weather related ones.

I have to say, I'm very glad that the 'triptan class drugs were discovered. One of the low dosage ones usually can knock out a migraine for me.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Note that "migraine" is a type of headache, not relating to the intensity.

Comment

If they are migraine headaches, and they are keeping you awake at night, speak to your doctor about maybe trying some over-the-counter codeine painkillers (just to be on the safe side - Latekin is not a doctor and can only speak from migraine experience). I've had to take them since I was very young due to migraines, and while I have built up a tolerance to the drowsiness effects, but they tend to knock my 6'7" partner out long enough for him to sleep the pain off.
          Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
            over-the-counter codeine painkillers
            Just a reminder that people here are from a variety of jurisdictions. You're in Australia, I'm in Canada (where up to 8 mg of codeine, provided it's combined with at least 2 other ingredients, is available OTC). OP doesn't say where she's from, but my understanding is that in the U.S. ANY quantity of codeine is a CII - the most strictly regulated category of prescription drugs.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My bad. Never really thought of that. My brain's a little off at the moment.
              Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Just a reminder that people here are from a variety of jurisdictions. You're in Australia, I'm in Canada (where up to 8 mg of codeine, provided it's combined with at least 2 other ingredients, is available OTC). OP doesn't say where she's from, but my understanding is that in the U.S. ANY quantity of codeine is a CII - the most strictly regulated category of prescription drugs.
                Yes, you need a prescription for that in the U.S. When I was a kid you could buy it over the counter, but not anymore.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I do know the difference between headache and migraine.

I have to be burrowed under the covers in a dark and quiet room with a migraine... where I pray to sleep it off. I can be in a lit room with a headache.

Comment

Working...
                  X