Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where I'm working now, the GED test is administered there. We don't run it, the organization that does just rents space from us. Well, there's these nifty little signs at eye level at both entrance doors says, "GED Room 129" with an arrow pointing which direction to go. Do these geniuses see these signs and not need to ask us at the front desk? Would I be post this if they did? Nine times out of ten they will read the sign (I know they do, I can see their lips moving) and will still come over and ask! Oy!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The other day I stuck some pies in the pie warmer straight from the fridge. I put up a sign saying "PIES NOT READY YET".

I caught an SC trying to look around the sign to see which pies weren't ready yet. At least he didn't take it down.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        , MrDelirious!

You're young...you'll learn, SCs can only read signs when they are in their favor. In other words, if it says SALE, they can read it. But if there are restrictions to said sale, they suddenly become illiterate and/or blind to that part of the sign. And if the sign is completely against their own interests, it may as well not exist.

how true. I can't count how often I've had to point out restrictions on sales we have in my grocery store. Also the express registers are surrounded by signs saying 10 items or less, there's even a little sign over the basket return at the front of the register, yet you still get customers unable to use all of their fingers to determine if they have too much stuff in their cart. But my favorite ones are the people who walk in looking for the restroom and head straight for me instead of looking at the restrooms--> sign hanging just past the door.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          Where I'm working now, the GED test is administered there. We don't run it, the organization that does just rents space from us. Well, there's these nifty little signs at eye level at both entrance doors says, "GED Room 129" with an arrow pointing which direction to go. Do these geniuses see these signs and not need to ask us at the front desk? Would I be post this if they did? Nine times out of ten they will read the sign (I know they do, I can see their lips moving) and will still come over and ask! Oy!
          Please tell me that this counts as an automatic fail.

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
            It always amazes me that that little red lever is so elusive to people. I've even had the mensa members push the button that starts the coffee when trying for hot water. (and then walk away of course leaving a huge mess for me to clean up)
            Yep, they love to do this, lol. When I used to work at JJ's, we introduced an automatic tea brewer, instead of using the soda fountain (takes more effort to clean, but that's a whole 'nother story). Anyway, whenever I'd make the tea in the morning, I'd set up another, clean bag, after cleaning the filter, for when we inevitably ran out that afternoon. Until one day, I had help opening... my coworker sees that there's a fresh bag in the filter, and hits brew... about 15 minutes after it finished filling... we were cleaning tea off the floor for at least half an hour. Ok, fine. I'll just turn off the machine until we run low, let it warm up, and there'll be less risk. Of course, my boss comes in one day and notices the machine's off, and starts griping at me. I tell him the problem with leaving it on, but does he listen? Nope. I start turning it on right before he gets there, and less than a week later, I come in one day to a note apologizing to me, and telling me that it was far more of a pain to clean up the tea off the floor than it would have been to let the machine warm up (apparently a customer couldn't see the spigot at the bottom of the urn, and hit the brew button to pour). I love how you're always wrong in some managers' eyes, until exactly what you told them would happen does... then of course they're usually surprised.
            If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

PAGAN'S GED POST

Pagan:

RE: GED test sign

I would be soooo tempted to say: "Don't bother taking the test today...I can tell already you're going to fail it! Study harder & come back another day perhaps."

Comment

One of the greatest signs I've ever seen, and would like to install in every store that has signs nationwide:

IF YOU CAN READ THIS...
                You can read the rest of the signs in the store.
                If it's posted, it applies. Also, if you are unable
                to read this sign, please inform the management
                and you may be exempted from our sign policy.

Just the right amount of attitude without being too in-your-face. Eye catching "if you can read this..." technology. Classic exit strategy in the word "may" and easy suck-catcher in the "if you can't read this let us know" play. This sign is truly the bane of sucky customers' existence. This example may not be verbatim, but if not it's very close.

Unfortunately I've only seen one place with these, and it was somewhere on vacation (might've been Key West, but I think it was on Cape Cod... Nantucket maybe?). They were printed by a standard printer on letter paper (neon pink and yellow, I believe they were) and posted at the entrance, at the registers, and in assorted easy-to-see places around the store.

Also, hi MrDelirious!
                "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                  One of the greatest signs I've ever seen, and would like to install in every store that has signs nationwide:

IF YOU CAN READ THIS...
                  You can read the rest of the signs in the store.
                  If it's posted, it applies. Also, if you are unable
                  to read this sign, please inform the management
                  and you may be exempted from our sign policy.
                  That. Is. Brilliant.
                  Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
                  {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

Quoth yomiko View Post
                    Please tell me that this counts as an automatic fail.
                    Quoth laundryhater View Post
                    I would be soooo tempted to say: "Don't bother taking the test today...I can tell already you're going to fail it! Study harder & come back another day perhaps."
                    Don't I wish....to both of those! Another bonus is that the test starts at 8am - and they mean 8am. This bunch of geniuses that can't read the *%^@(% sign are the same ones that think they can saunter in at 8:30am and still take the test....or they have their mommy call to check on it.

I know some people have had legitimate reasons for not finishing high school, but unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. Seriously, with our local school system, if you just show up for class, they'll graduate you.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I've worked at 3 bookstores, all which had "book" in the store's name, big signs in bright orange that read books, one store had one whole wall of windows painted to read "book sale" and yet SCs would still come in and be shocked that we only had books to sell.
                      One came in looked around and asked "Is this, like a bookstore?"
                      A fellow employee had to clamp her hand over my mouth so I couldn't shoot back "No sweethreat, it's not, like a bookstore; it is a bookstore, and you just prove you're too stupid to shop here, so leave.
                      Is it insanity to reason with the voices in your head or to ignore them and hope they go away on their own? - Hod from Brat-halla

"You're the nicest evil person I know" one of my managers to me

Comment

Working...
                      X