This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Scammer

Woman calls claiming she left a bag a couple hours ago,with her shopping (which she'd paid for) at the register. This happens occasionally. I asked what the bag contained. She named off several very expensive cookbooks, and that was the only bag she had. Okay, can someone really be stupid enough to leave their ONLY bag of merchandise at the register? Sadly, I believe they can, so I went to the register to look for the bag. Nowhere. I ask the employees working the register for the past couple hours if they remember her. Nope.

Suspicious. I get back on the phone and tell the lady I can't find her bag, but if she wants to leave her contact info we will call her if it turns up (no way am I going to offer to give her free books because she was too dumb to keep an eye on her stuff..IF that's what happened at all).

Stupid Scammer: Can't you compensate me? I need those books!

Me: Do you have your receipt?

SS: No, it was in the bag. (of course)

Me: I'm afraid we can't compensate you, but as I said we can call you if it turns up.

SS: I was on the phone (mmm-hmm) and didn't realize I was missing the bag until I got to the car.

Me: So...why didn't you come back inside then to retrieve the bag instead of waiting a couple hours to call us about it?

SS: >click<

Seriously, if you want to scam us be smarter than that...

Anyone else got stupid scammer stories?

PS- I have no idea how the subject line got that way...it should be 'stupid scammer'.
    Last edited by AnaKhouri; 05-26-2008, 10:55 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Wouldn't you have records of what you've sold ? Seems like a very stupid scam.

Victoria J

Comment

Fixed the title for you.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        Fixed the title for you.
        I was going to say, that was extremely confusing, it was one letter away from a local town and I couldn't work out how people were popping over the pond and not letting us know!
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Thank you MadMike!
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            Okay, can someone really be stupid enough to leave their ONLY bag of merchandise at the register?
            this unfortunately true. I've seen it happen so many times I've stopped laughing.
            We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

When I was working for The Children's Place I had a doozie of a scam call.

Women calls, claiming that she lost a bag. It had clothes purchased for a birthday present along with a card for the child. I tell her no one has turned anything in after asking everyone.
              Ok, so I ask for contact info. She gives it.

A half hour to an hour later I get a phone call. A lady claims she found a bag with children's clothes in it and a birthday card. Great! Could she please bring it in?
              Not until Monday, she says. Oh, ok then. (it's Thursday).
              I ask her for contact info just in case. She wont give it to me.
              I start to be suspicious. We end the call and I *69. It's the same number as the one give earlier for the woman who supposedly lost the bag.

I discuss with my boss and we decide to drop it. The scam wont work.
              Who calls 10 minutes later? The first lady asking if we found anything.
              I decide to tell her no.
              She says, are you sure no one called?
              Oh, yeah. I tell her. Someone did call claiming to find the bag. Sorry, I forgot.
              She says great! When can I come get it. I tell her Monday. She starts crying, saying that's no good. The party is Saturday. Can't she just come in and get a replacement outfit since the bag will be returned on Monday?

I told her no. She starts screaming at me.
              I tell her calmly that I would have been willing to work with her if the person who found the bag didn't have the same number as her.

*click*
              "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
              "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth ZumZum View Post
                When I was working for The Children's Place I had a doozie of a scam call.

Women calls, claiming that she lost a bag. It had clothes purchased for a birthday present along with a card for the child. I tell her no one has turned anything in after asking everyone.
                Ok, so I ask for contact info. She gives it.

A half hour to an hour later I get a phone call. A lady claims she found a bag with children's clothes in it and a birthday card. Great! Could she please bring it in?
                Not until Monday, she says. Oh, ok then. (it's Thursday).
                I ask her for contact info just in case. She wont give it to me.
                I start to be suspicious. We end the call and I *69. It's the same number as the one give earlier for the woman who supposedly lost the bag.

I discuss with my boss and we decide to drop it. The scam wont work.
                Who calls 10 minutes later? The first lady asking if we found anything.
                I decide to tell her no.
                She says, are you sure no one called?
                Oh, yeah. I tell her. Someone did call claiming to find the bag. Sorry, I forgot.
                She says great! When can I come get it. I tell her Monday. She starts crying, saying that's no good. The party is Saturday. Can't she just come in and get a replacement outfit since the bag will be returned on Monday?

I told her no. She starts screaming at me.
                I tell her calmly that I would have been willing to work with her if the person who found the bag didn't have the same number as her.

*click*
                Nicely executed!
                This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post
                  this unfortunately true. I've seen it happen so many times I've stopped laughing.
                  My mother once got to call a bookshop to see if anyone had handed in the book she'd bought and left there.... a book about Alzheimers.

She was almost too embarrassed to call - but I think she did get it back. She's forgetful (was ringing round for another lost book the other day - left at customer service while she went to the lavatory and never picked up) but she does know it's her responsibility. If she gets whatever she forgot back she's happy, if not she shrugs and pays again or does without.

(And no she doesn't have Alzheimers - her father did. She's just a loon).

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth ZumZum View Post

*click*
                    Pwned! Awesome!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                    X