This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Def diagnosis

Okay, I need some help figuring out what the problem is with my LG Super-Multi writer. It's supposed to be able to play either HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. It did so well for a few months. Now, it's stuttering, choking, dropping frames, etc. I took the drive in for service, they say there's nothing wrong with it.

I've tried using PowerDVD Ultra 7 (that it came with) Ultra 8, and Corel WinDVD 9, all of which are supposed to work. I've tried changing process priority, process affinity, which sound card it uses (as one time the picture was okay, but the sound was staticky), I got a new graphics card since the problems started so that's not it. I'm running out of things to try for a diagnosis. Anyone have ideas?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

is it an internal/external? and what interface type is it? i had a dvd drive that did that and i had to replace the ribbon cable. other than that im out of ideas.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Internal SATA. I think I have a spare cable. I'll check that if I can find it.

Comment

I would suspect that the video codec software is a bit broken, or possibly the graphics card's drivers (which can survive the card changing).

Comment

3 different programs, 2 from different makers, shouldn't all be using the same codec batch, and I've installed multiple driver updates since then. However, if you know of a codec batch that should work, I'm all ears to give it a try, especially if it's open-source.

Comment

Sometimes updating the video drivers doesn't fix them. Try uninstalling and reinstalling them instead.

Before that, take a look in your Task Manager and make sure there isn't anything eating all the CPU time.

Finally, uninstall any previous codec packs, and install the K-Lite one instead. That's pretty comprehensive and works well, though tweaking it can get involved.

It doesn't especially matter which front-end program you use, because they will mostly rely on the system codecs, which K-Lite extends. (VLC is an exception, but it decodes entirely in software which doesn't work well for HD.) Media Player Classic comes with K-Lite and is an excellent choice.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
              Before that, take a look in your Task Manager and make sure there isn't anything eating all the CPU time.

Finally, uninstall any previous codec packs, and install the K-Lite one instead. That's pretty comprehensive and works well, though tweaking it can get involved.

It doesn't especially matter which front-end program you use, because they will mostly rely on the system codecs, which K-Lite extends. (VLC is an exception, but it decodes entirely in software which doesn't work well for HD.) Media Player Classic comes with K-Lite and is an excellent choice.
              None of the 4 cores ever goes above 40%, and usually not above 30%.

Installed Full K-Lite, did default everything, tried to open a Blu-Ray disc, and it said "Unable to Render" in MPC.

No previous codecs, unless you're talking about uninstalling system codecs, then you'd need to give me a bit of help. The other programs I have are doing a bit better with the K-Lite pack, but still not perfect.

ETA: I also uninstalled the display drivers from the uninstall program menu, and then installed the latest ones. No help.

ETAYA: Okay, so I've tried running the program in not-full screen, but just manually resized the window. It's been going about 10 minutes without a single hitch. That's basically a record. The window's the same size as full screen, it's just... not full screen mode, you know? That's just weird, imo.
              Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-08-2009, 12:12 AM.

Comment

It is odd - it sounds like the overlay video isn't working properly for rescaling. If you can find the "hardware acceleration" slider for your graphics card, make sure it's all the way up. I don't know whether that's still there on Vista, but it certainly is on XP.

Comment

dxdiag from run line work in Vista? It's usually where I find those sliders on my XP machine
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Working...
                  X