Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect? (Dentist appointment)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They most likely will do some x-rays first to check for cracks and you can see infections in the bones too. (Been their, done that.)
    There is no shame in being a complete wuss when sitting on the dentist's chair. It does hurt a bit after all, but after the wound is healed you'll feel better.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

What will they say/generally do if they find infection in the bone?
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Depending on the size and location, it might mean another round of antibiotics. If it's small they might extract the tooth anyway and to prevent systemic infection another round of antibiotics.

When is the big day? So we all can send good vibes!

Comment

Tuesday! And I'd really appreciate good thoughts.

The infectious bulge isn't wide, but it stretches about three teeth in length. This will be my fifth round of antibiotics if they give me any. I'm also scared of getting some superbug because of all these, or something... Urgh.

Yogurt is on the menu every day to compensate for loss of gut bacteria though.
          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Getting antibiotics for infections is par for the course. Be sure to tell them if you're allergic to anything (this should be a standard question on any forms they have you fill out).

Don't be afraid to tell them you're anxious, believe me, they've heard it many times before. And remember they are there to help you. Just take it slow, breathe in, breathe out, and ask questions if you aren't sure of something. You'll do fine.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I thought it might be trouble that I had been on them so much in the past six months, that it might make me susceptible to worse bugs, was all.

Thankfully I'm not allergic to anything that I know of.

The main thing I am anxious about is that I have to do this by myself. I've never been to the dentist or any doctor thing, really, without SOMEONE there with me.

Yet despite my anxiety there is a little voice telling me that everything will be fine. This thing is a recent addition--I've not been an optimist since childhood, and to have this happen now is extremely weird.
              Last edited by Tama; 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM.
              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                Is there a big risk of the clots coming loose/sticking to the gauze? I've heard that pain of exposed bone is HORRIFYING!
                Dry socket. Yes, it's a risk but if you are careful you can avoid it. No straws, saline rinses, don't dislodge the clot. Your dentist should explain in detail what he wants you to do. I suggest planning on jello, pudding, and so on for a few days until your mouth heals enough to work up to soft foods (bananas, etc) and back to regular food. I'd avoid anything crunchy until your mouth completely heals.

Quoth Tama View Post
                Tuesday! And I'd really appreciate good thoughts.

The infectious bulge isn't wide, but it stretches about three teeth in length. This will be my fifth round of antibiotics if they give me any. I'm also scared of getting some superbug because of all these, or something... Urgh.

Yogurt is on the menu every day to compensate for loss of gut bacteria though.
                If you're completing your courses of antibiotics, this is a low risk. It's understandable why you'd be concerned, but at this point the risks of a systemic infection would outweigh the risk of drug resistance. But certainly raise the point with the dentist and tell him what antibiotics you've been placed on thus far. It may impact his decision on what to put you on for the next go around.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

No worries about crunchy food, I haven't been brave enough to chew down on that stuff in ages.

I have completed all courses of antibiotics but in the case of one (I had one pill left when I went to the hospital, and took the remaining pill a week or so later when the two new prescriptions ran out) a bit late.

Its comforting to know the risk is lower than I thought. Thanks.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Well, here I go, guys...

Wish me luck.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Good luck! Everything will be fine!

Comment

Crossing my fingers, here.

Good luck!
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, good and bad news.

The good news is I didn't have any teeth pulled. I came out with a prescription for an antibiotic and some lortab (which my mother in law tells me isn't that strong--if you're USED to pain pills, which I'm not). Had an xray.

The dentist said basically, he was not comfortable doing any extractions because of the extent of the damage and referred me to an oral surgeon, with instructions to follow up PRONTO.

I did mention my depression and he was worried about losing a lot of teeth causing a depressive episode but he commended me on saying I'd prefer to be alive and have half as many teeth as before. Showed a nice grip on reality, he thought.

So probably what will happen is I will see the oral surgeon, and get a bunch of teeth removed and be laid up eating jello for awhile. The cost kind of scares me (no way surgery like this will be cheap) but I gotta do something. The one he wants me to go with accepts medicaid, but I can't get it because I don't have a kid. (Will stop there and take this to fratching)

I have dental insurance (Al can thankfully afford the gold plated dental insurance for both of us for $16 a pay period) so I HOPE the surgeon takes it.
                          Last edited by Tama; 04-21-2015, 11:05 PM.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

If that surgeon doesn't take your insurance, ask the dentist for another recommendation and explain why. He'll have it heard it all before, and if he wants you to get this done, he'll help you find someone. If he doesn't know any other names, you might try asking at the closest medical/dental school.

In fact, you could probably Google dental surgeons in your area. A lot of practices have websites now and will indicate what, if any, insurance they accept. That's how I found the orthopedist and the physical therapists for my shoulder.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Or call the insurance company to find out which surgeons take your plan. I've worked in medical/dental insurance call centers, and that's a routine call for the agents.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Ooooh excellent dentist, knowing what he can do and what he can't do. And listening, too! Keep him! And clone him for the rest of the world!
                                With an oral surgeon you don't have to worry about dry sockets, you'll most likely get stitches. Most of them are equipped for general anaesthesia, which might be a good idea with your anxiety issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X