Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect? (Dentist appointment)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw an oral surgeon for the first time when I was in sixth grade. I had an impacted tooth and could barely eat or focus. Cold made it feel better until I removed the ice/cold water but my god it hurt. He was awesome and put me out before they did the IV as I had an intense needle phobia at that time. An idiot doctor tried when I was 8 or 9 to draw blood from my little veins with a big bore IV needle and multiple sticks until my mom said ENOUGH. It wasn't until I was grown up that I finally overcame that fear. Anyway the oral surgeon was awesome. I saw him for extractions again when I got braces (I had three adult teeth that didn't exist and they had to even things out and remove babies) and a third time for wisdom teeth removal. An oral surgeon is best and will put you out so the stress is a lot less. They have come a long way with anesthesia so the side effects are minimal. I recommend starting with a half a pain pill and then increasing if needed, this is what I did and still the percoset made me dizzy. The dentist who recommended my oral surgeon and the oral surgeon said the same thing, they could do each other's jobs but that was not their expertise so the best thing is to go with the expert. Plus they knew the only way any teeth were getting pulled is if they knocked me clean out. You are doing the right thing seeking treatment to better your health. It is a process which can be frustrating but in the end you will be better for it. We're here to listen and offer hugs and virtual cookies. Keep us updated.

Comment

That's one thing that had me happy. Being put under and having it all done that way without having to be awake while sharp objects are inserted into my mouth, well...yeah, much easier that way. No dry socket worries would be great!

I mentioned getting gassed and the dentist said, "We don't have any of that here." So I'm glad he suggested the surgeon.

Gonna go and call him. I'll keep updating. Thanks for all the good wishes.
      Last edited by Tama; 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Alrighty. I have an appointment for a consult with the oral surgeon next tuesday. Much faster than I expected to get one! Plus they seem to have a website so I can do patient registration online.
        My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

While you're checking on who takes your insurance, make sure putting you under is covered, as well as normal painkillers -- KO'ing you is normally a good bit more expensive, and you don't want to end up with an unpleasant surprise!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have some lortab right now, I really don't know why I filled it as I control my pain just fine with ibuprofen (though i have to take it frequently) once the swelling is down the pain all but stops. If anything I can use that as I need to after the surgery, if they say I can do it of course. Though I only really have 20 of them, my med tolerance is very low. It probably wouldn't take much for me to be pain free.
            Last edited by Tama; 04-22-2015, 09:02 PM.
            My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Call your dentist's office and ask about that one. They're the experts.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

The biggest thing is I am looking at losing most of my teeth, pretty much all of them side and back (molars) ones. Two front teeth up top (which are SOL anyway) too.

Though the dentist did say that he was more okay with the idea of me losing the front teeth as they are easier to replace.

I'm looking forward to being able to chew again. Certain foods I can sort of separate with my tongue, but I end up nauseated and stop eating them. It's always pasta, for some reason, too....
                Last edited by Tama; 04-23-2015, 04:23 AM.
                My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Maybe our healthcare type peoples can weigh in on that one. o_O
                  Last edited by EricKei; 04-23-2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    The biggest thing is I am looking at losing most of my teeth, pretty much all of them side and back (molars) ones. Two front teeth up top (which are SOL anyway) too.

Though the dentist did say that he was more okay with the idea of me losing the front teeth as they are easier to replace.

I'm looking forward to being able to chew again. Certain foods I can sort of separate with my tongue, but I end up nauseated and stop eating them. It's always pasta, for some reason, too....
                    I suspect the chronic infection is behind this. You may not notice it with other foods, because the flavors overcome it, but pasta is rather tasteless.

I'm glad to hear you've been upgraded to an oral surgeon. It will likely be more expensive but given the complexity of what you have going on, it's the right choice.

Glad to hear you have insurance!
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Ugh. And now a spot on my upper gum above a problem tooth, is a tiny bit swollen and sore, and a bit numb... Panic incoming.

I'm super worried the current med isn't working. The dentist was already worried about drug resistance. And my consult is on Tuesday, too! Ughhh. I don't want to go back to the hospital.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                        Ugh. And now a spot on my upper gum above a problem tooth, is a tiny bit swollen and sore, and a bit numb... Panic incoming.

I'm super worried the current med isn't working. The dentist was already worried about drug resistance. And my consult is on Tuesday, too! Ughhh. I don't want to go back to the hospital.
                        If you start getting a fever, go to the hospital post haste.

Call your dentist. He may have an answering service on the weekends. He might consider a different antibiotic to get you through the weekend.

If it gets worse, head to the ER.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                          They most likely will do some x-rays first to check for cracks and you can see infections in the bones too. (Been their, done that.)
                          There is no shame in being a complete wuss when sitting on the dentist's chair. It does hurt a bit after all, but after the wound is healed you'll feel better.
                          This was my experience at the dentist last month (first time in over a decade since I've been.)

My new dentist did X-rays and went over options for me after we reviewed the pics on the monitor screen (they've come a long way since those bulky bite wing slides that look like slide negatives.)

I'm dealing with a severe periodontal infection that's in the bone. I'm currently using prescription toothpaste for sensitive teeth and an antibaterial rinse (Colgate PerioGard and PreventiDent 5000 toothpaste) until further notice.

My cleaning is scheduled to be done in 2 visits. First cleaning is coming up next week (on Wednesday) and then the 2nd visit the following month (both appointments have already been scheduled) and after that we'll start pulling.

I have one in front that has been bonded 3 times in over 30 years and has broken loose just last fall. It has decayed so fast now that when the dentist looked at it on the X-ray, he said it would have to be pulled - it's too far gone.

We've discussed options such as bridgework, partial plates and implants. As bad as my teeth are in general, I'm leaning toward having all of them pulled out and get full top and bottom plates. Even if I try to save as many of my teeth as I can, I suspect they'll only get worse and it's better to just go ahead and take care of it all at one time (not have all my teeth yanked out at once - that'll have to be done over a period of visits, due to such a low annual maximum on my insurance.)

It'll all work out in the end. Just remember to ask questions. If you have a list of them, go ahead and write those down on a notepad or paper beforehand and take them with you - this will help you to remember what questions you want to ask.

And above all, don't be shy about letting them know you're anxious - I'm sure the dentist has worked with all kinds of patients and they do have to have a certain amount of it themselves.

Some good things to write down to ask include anesthesia options, pain management and what side effects to look for during recovery and who to call if you have an unexpected problem during the recovery period.

Hang in there . . . and if you think of other questions to ask about this, we're here.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I actually got comforted by an older friend who works at this store where they sell gemstones and incense and whatnot--apparently when she was young (60 years ago?) EVERYONE had dentures. She could not remember her dad not having them. Her husband has them too (he also works there) and she was telling me his favorite part of getting the teeth out was--no more pain.

I don't know why that comforts me, but it does. Looking at all this crap and considering all the teeth the dentist marked as needing removal, I will be getting them, one way or another. The pain (which I still haven't taken the lortab for, I'm too scared of the effects and of getting addicted) has gotten more frequent but I am still taking tylenol for it.

Here's hoping I can get this surgery done soon...and recover from it ASAP. If it's done this month I can schedule it for a Friday, all of which Al has off this month. (Yeah, paychecks are going to suuuuuuck)

The appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow, so wish me luck.

Our yearly dental benefit is something like $1,000, a little over, maybe, but I still should be able to get the 3 or 4 worst offenders out this year before going after the rest.

The swelling spot above that one front tooth has started to recede. Phew.
                            Last edited by Tama; 04-28-2015, 12:09 AM.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post

The appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow, so wish me luck.

Our yearly dental benefit is something like $1,000, a little over, maybe, but I still should be able to get the 3 or 4 worst offenders out this year before going after the rest.
                              My dental plan has an annual maximum of $1500 (with a $100 deductible) which really isn't much - you can run up a bill of $1500 or more rather quickly.

But it's better than having to pay for the ENTIRE bill out of pocket, which would be impossible unless I won the lottery.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - and anything else that needs crossing.

Quoth Tama
                              The swelling spot above that one front tooth has started to recede. Phew.
                              That's a good sign, IMO. Hopefully it won't start swelling back up before your visit.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

How much has it cost you to have them removed? Or have you not had it done surgically?
                                My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Working...
                                X