This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is going to be FUN

So I'm back at work after my weekend. Numbers predict a slow day, but I think getting through this one with a smile on my face might be hard. I'm already super-irritable merely as a result of being in possession of a female reproductive system. Well today at 1am my eyes popped open and I felt wide awake, for no reason I could identify. Even snuggling with my doggie wasn't enough to put me out.

I read for a while, listened to music, and after what seemed like forever I felt my eyes getting heavy, but as soon as my head hit the pillow and I started to drift off, the alarm rang and it was time to get up. So far I'm doing ok but I'm glad there's pretty much unlimited coffee available in the hotel lobby. Today I'm going to need it.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I'm in a similar boat. I didn't sleep well the past two nights due to stress. I've got music going at my desk, and I'm chewing gum (something that usually helps me stay awake), but I still find myself blinking heavily. I even found myself nodding off a few minutes ago.

So I commiserate.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I had something similar to that last week.

I had started taking my vitamins again and for some reason no matter how early I went to bed, I just couldn't fall asleep. I'd head to bed at 9am and just lie there all night, staring at the ceiling.

And then I had stuff to do all day. :/
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Today may be a repeat. Awakened at 2am by hubby snoring and roomie gaming. Did get back to sleep. At least there a nice view on the train today (young transit security officer...yummy ).
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I've been having insomnia problems lately myself. Sinus headaches do not help.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Seanette, try using a humidifier and doing a sinus rinse with one of those squeeze bottles (just don't forget to use the mix...plain water hurts! Also make sure the water you use is either distilled or has been boiled at some point --we just use what's in the tea kettle that's cooled to room temp. If you don't use boiled you can introduce microscopic nastiness to the inside of your head).

I swear by Melatonin, and the Natrol brand extended release doesn't give me bonkers dreams like the other brands do. My main issue with sleep isn't me, it's either the lovely men I live with (one of whom I'm married to) making noise or my neighbors slamming doors. Every once in a while the dog gets a bug up his butt too.

Comment

I have a pesky cat sharing the bed, plus a husband with chronic sinus issues of his own. I've also had insomnia problems since childhood.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I like it dark and quiet when I'm sleeping. I've found that earplugs work wonders when it comes to snoring husbands, noisy neighbors, traffic noises, etc. They won't block all the noise but they'll at least help.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

My worry about using earplugs is my fear of not hearing the alarm.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    I am partially deaf and in the habit of using earplugs due to years of noisy radiators and the colony of birds in the trees at the bottom of the garden where I used to live.

Despite this my old-fashioned alarm clock with the metal bells can get me sat upright and reaching for it in panic in less than a second.

Alternatively if one of the irritants is hubby, would it be possible for you to sleep in separate rooms? It is becoming more common nowadays when people have room, and hopefully if you explain that it's a survival thing as you can't get enough sleep there shouldn't be too many hurt feelings.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Don't really have space for that solution.

Comment

Insert earplugs into hubby/cat as needed.Problem solved.
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                          Four words: Sonic Bomb alarm clock.

I'm deaf so I need it. It comes with a vibrating disc. I bought it two years ago to replace my aging alarm clock that wasn't waking me up on time anymore.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15707865?w...459152&veh=sem

Very effective at waking me up! I have vibrate/buzz enabled when I set my alarm. The orange lights on it really help me to wake up.

Comment

113db? Isn't that in the "may potentially damage your hearing" range?? o_O;>
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              113db? Isn't that in the "may potentially damage your hearing" range?? o_O;>
                              There's an adjustable volume knob on it (you can see it in the pic, red thing sticking out a bit on the top right side). I have the volume on mine shut off :-) so it only does the lights and vibrate. That's the nice thing about it, gives you a few different options for waking up!

Comment

Working...
                              X