Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Interning? *This* Guy's Interning!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Interning? *This* Guy's Interning!

(Note: I just want to say that I'm posting this in the hope and confidence that CS as we know it will continue even after Raps transfers it to someone else. Let's make it happen, people!)

My first full week of internship concluded on Friday evening, and my but what fun it was! I was taken in by an outfit that, although it is not located in the urban county where I live -- and a county that thinks extremely highly of itself if truth be known -- is a national model for providing the services that it does. It fields calls from across the state and has visitors from across the nation who want to take a look and see how it is that they do what they do. Not to give too much away about the place, but if you've been hurt, we help. Have you been raped? We'll take care of that. Have you been beaten? We'll take care of that too. Need a place to stay after you were raped or beaten? We've got that. Need counseling? We're on top of it. While we're at it, we'll also teach you life skills so you can get a job and won't have to go back to the bastard or your horrible family.

In short, we're one-stop shopping for people whose lives have gone to shit. "Lower standards" indeed.

Being as that we offer so much to so many, through so many different venues, there is a lot going on at any given time and many, many opportunities for chaos. I frankly wish I could tell you about them all, but I don't lest I give the place away. But trust me, you all would absolutely love to get a whiff of the dirty laundry from this place. My first week involved everything from an Elvis impersonator who wanted a restraining order to a woman who was very indignant that her husband kept calling the cops whenever she beat the hell out of him, to a guy who called the rape crisis line five days running to talk dirty, husbands and wives shrieking at each other in open court, to a conviction based on the fact that the hole in the ceiling matched the kid's head.

And so much more.

It was awesome.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I hope the kid's going to be OK!
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm sure some of it would make us sick to read. But it sounds like a great internship to get started on your career.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        I'm sure some of it would make us sick to read. But it sounds like a great internship to get started on your career.
        Honestly, it probably would. I'm to the point that I've forgotten that most people don't, over dinner, talk about the sort of things that nurses and social workers talk about over dinner.

That is to say though, that whenever you get social workers and nurses together, such as when my partner and our friends (most of whom are in the medical field) get together, the conversation is rather lively.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
          a woman who was very indignant that her husband kept calling the cops whenever she beat the hell out of him
          Um, what??

So she was beating up her husband, he called police, and she got indignant?

My head hurts after that one.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            Um, what??

Typical for an abuser. Sexes are just reversed from what you commonly hear about.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              Um, what??

I bet that part of the indignation was that she thought that women weren't subject to the domestic abuser laws.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                I hope the kid's going to be OK!
                Hard to say after a head injury, but if this place ASW is working with has any say in it, he'll be as OK as possible!

ASW: I'm SO glad to hear you've found such an awesome place. I hope you get a permanent job either there, or somewhere similar.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That is to say though, that whenever you get social workers and nurses together, such as when my partner and our friends (most of whom are in the medical field) get together, the conversation is rather lively.
                  My grandfather is retired OB/GYN and he was still practicing when I was younger. Nana is a retired RN. You can imagine the kinds of conversations we would have at Christmas dinner no less. Papa Jedi went back to nursing school around the time Grandfather retired, as did Mama Jedi. I work medical imaging. One aunt is a nurse and one is a PT assistant. Family gatherings are always interesting, lol.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                    I bet that part of the indignation was that she thought that women weren't subject to the domestic abuser laws.
                    Sounds like my psycho ex GF
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My best friend in high school's mom was a labor and delivery nurse....and they liked extra sauce on their pizza...yea, I had to ask her to stahhhhhp on multiple occasions

Comment

Honestly, it probably would. I'm to the point that I've forgotten that most people don't, over dinner, talk about the sort of things that nurses and social workers talk about over dinner.

Not just 'talk' about over dinner...

My mother, who used to be a nurse, would have the TV on autopsy shows, and similar types, over dinner.

I am reasonably sure I can now eat during practically ANYTHING.

Comment

Working...
                        X