This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth cinema guy View Post
    One reason I have heard was that SUVs are the safest cars to transport a toddler (or anybody) in.
    And the most likely to kill someone else's toddler (or your own) when the kid runs across the road.

Okay, that was snarky and not necessarily accurate. However, last time I was researching cars to choose one for us, I noticed that my local car club not only rates cars on the safety of its passengers, it also rates cars on 'aggressiveness' to other cars and is working on rating 'aggressiveness' to pedestrians, cyclists, and other more vulnerable road users.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I was watching Jeff Dunham's recent special on Comedy Central last week, and he starts out with a bit of stand-up (without the puppets - he's a ventriloquist if you're not familiar) and he talks about how he and his wife bought a Prius, but his baby is his Hummer H1. Then he says how he went to fill it up, and it cost him 128 bucks or something like that. So he "pushed it home" and called his kids out of the house, and said "hey girls, check out our new lawn ornament!"

Personally I feel safer in my Hyundai Elantra (at least as far as my own driving goes)...the few times I drove my dad's old Astrovan (years ago), I did not feel all that in control driving a giant rectangular box. Even my mom's Sonata feels big to me, but then I'm used to my Elantra, and before that a Chevy Prizm (which is the same as a Toyota Corolla) and before that Cavalier, all of which are about the same size. When I need to borrow one of my parents' cars, I usually take my dad's Prizm. (Yes, of course, that's it: because I feel more comfortable driving it, not because my mom's car is brand new (well, since April) with satellite radio and they want it for themselves...)
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Perfect example of leaving in a huff inconveniencing the customer more than the store: There was a bit of a queue, so I jumped on the middle till to help. A rude woman pushed in to ask my colleague a question. Just as I was calling 'who's next please', the man at the front of the queue- who I could have served- threw his bax of dried fruit down and stormed off.

Yeah.

Rather than be served by a staff member who was free to serve him, he decided to wait in a queue for 5 minutes just to storm off.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          I was watching Jeff Dunham's recent special on Comedy Central last week, and he starts out with a bit of stand-up (without the puppets - he's a ventriloquist if you're not familiar) and he talks about how he and his wife bought a Prius, but his baby is his Hummer H1.
          Is it "on a stiiick"?

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Is it "on a stiiick"?

^-.-^

-Don't close dee door!
            -Why not?
            -The cock-a-roaches...
            -You have cockroaches in there?
            -One beeeg one! ...
            -...On a steeck!

He has a new character: Achmed the dead terrorist. He's a skeleton in a head wrap thing (apparently he is was a Halloween decoration). "I will keel you!!"

On A Stick: The World of Jeff Dunham
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Pre-pays

When I used to manage a Murphy Oil Station, I'd get the angry people that would tell me they didn't know how much their car was going to take to fill up. Sometimes I'd just look at them and tell them their car would take $32.49 to fill up, or some other random (pulled out of the arse) number. Other times I'd ask them how many gallons their tank held and at what position it was at, empty, 1/4, 1/2, etc. I would then tell them that it would take (price of gas) x (number of gallons) = amount of money to pre-pay. Of course, to either response, I'd hear the muttered, under the breath, 'smart ass!'. We also had lots of people (always in a pickup) that would be on empty, and only put $5 - $10 in. Then complain that they didn't get any gas, because their needle didn't move. Of course, I knew they got fuel, but did not know why it did not register on their gauge, until I started driving a company truck for my new employer. I've noticed that when I only put a few dollars in when that low, to make it back to the cheapest fuel price station, that the needle won't move for a few minutes, after I start driving it. Now, did any of the (ahem) customers ever return to apologize? Nope, not a one of them.

Comment

I have seen a lady argue with the cashier at a gas station that gas was too expensive. She really believed that the cashier mad up the prices as she felt. Of course this lady had a Esclade(sp?), so she could afford the gas.

I drive a Jeep and I know I will have to pay more at the pump, but I love my Jeep too much to give it up because of gas prices.

Comment

Quoth kdruboen View Post
                  When I used to manage a Murphy Oil Station, I'd get the angry people that would tell me they didn't know how much their car was going to take to fill up.
                  And that's why I strongly support pay-at-the-pump with cash. Kind of like self-scan checkouts. Stick your money in, and if you don't use it all, you get your change there instead of having to walk back inside to collect the change.

Comment

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I paid for gas with cash. I usually swing by either the Shell or Mobile near me, after work (so after midnight) and pay at the pump with a CC, then wander inside if I need cigs/beverages/trashy magazines and pay for that in cash. I usually run my car til she's almost empty, then fill her up, so I always know it'll be about the same amount of gas.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

[QUOTE=Gurndigarn;196123]And that's why I strongly support pay-at-the-pump with cash.QUOTE]

The only place I've seen P@P w/cash has been on the Navy base I was stationed at. You could put cash in, but it would not give change, with a really big sign posted on it to that effect. I got out in 1997, so I'm sure there could be some in the public domain. Are there any franchise stations that do the P@P w/cash? I can only imagine, depending on how they are built on the island, that if there were, someone, somewhere has tried to drag it home with them.

Comment

I LOVE Pay at the Pump! Dunno what I'd do without it!

Off topic but every day I fear for my life when I see women driving these obnoxious huge SVUs. My Neon is no match for them. One wrong move and you would have a FUBAR'd Neon and a dead blas.

And the men that drive them! Their need to make up for their lack of height because it's so unmanly to be 5 feet tall, or their need to drive like Dale Jr because he's their idol...

They will be the reason I die someday
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I used to live in NJ where it was illegal for a person to pump their own gas. Then I moved to the midwest and have to pump my own gas. It was a riot the first time I had to pump my own gas. But now I always pay at the pump. Just more convient for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=kdruboen;196174]
                            Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                            And that's why I strongly support pay-at-the-pump with cash.QUOTE]

The only place I've seen P@P w/cash has been on the Navy base I was stationed at. You could put cash in, but it would not give change, with a really big sign posted on it to that effect. I got out in 1997, so I'm sure there could be some in the public domain. Are there any franchise stations that do the P@P w/cash?
                            No, I've never seen it... but I work with the tools that could do it every day. It would not be difficult or costly... so I keep wondering why nobody else has tried to do it.

Comment

To derail my own thread just a little, I'm pretty sure you've never seen a real Humvee, aka the M-998 or M-1114 HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle), on the streets in Vancouver.
                              Gravekeeper is quite likely not wrong. I have seen at least two M-1114s here in town. One on Denman street and one on Burrard, that I remember. Quite a stretch from the Hummers with leather seats and GPS that I'm used to seeing :-)

-Mango

Comment

Almost every gas station I've ever been to has been pre-pay or pay at the pump. It's ridiculous to assume that everyone will pay AFTER they have pumped. It's this thing called the honor system that we just can't use anymore.
                                "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                                X