Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to go to the movies a lot, because the theater near Store2 is $5 on Tuesdays. We always checked what was playing first, though. Usually the same woman was working the ticket counter, and if there was no line my friend would chat with her about what was playing and ask what was coming the next week. But we weren't trying to figure out what to see (usually he asked when we were waiting for other people to show up), we were just chatting because we saw the woman every week. To the point that when I got there early one day, she asked where my friend was

I always hated it when little kids had to pay for their books separately. If there was no line, I didn't mind but if there was a line, for the love of dog, just put them all together! A variation on the theme was when all the kids had to hold their own books and give them to me to scan, get their own bag, and then mom would pay all together. Worse was when little kid would be paying with the contents of their piggy bank, and count it all out on the counter. I'm all for teaching the kiddies about using money, but teach them to count at home and change it for bigger bills before you go shopping!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have a quick question about the Tensa barriers, when i arrive and theres no queue, i duck under the barriers rather than walk around, is this considered annoying to workers or is it only when there is a queue?

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
        I have a quick question about the Tensa barriers, when i arrive and theres no queue, i duck under the barriers rather than walk around, is this considered annoying to workers or is it only when there is a queue?
        If there's a way around the set up, that doesn't require going through, I always disliked it when people ducked under. For this reason: at least 75% of people didn't stay ducked down long enough, releasing the Tensa barrier, letting it whip back, clang, clash, clatter, sometimes whipping someone with it, and people would always look annoyed at me for having it happen to them, or try to bi*** to me about getting hit by it. So every time I see someone duck under, I tense up, waiting for the barrier to get nudged enough to be released. It's kinda stressful.

Now, if you never have that happen to you, then kudos to you, and have fun. Just watch for a pained look when you duck under.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

About the tensa-barriers, wouldn't it be the person's fault for getting hit by it if they're ducking under it rather than walking around? I'm clumsy by nature, so I'd rather walk around than risk making a fool of myself by stumbling around as I climb through it. Maybe that's just me, though.....

As for people paying separately on multiple orders, it doesn't bother me unless it's a busy time of day or you wait until after I've started ringing up merchandise to tell me. When I have a line of customers waiting, I'm probably going to rush you every step of the way that I can so I can keep the line moving. If you don't tell me ahead of time, I'm likely to get a little pissy about having to void a transaction and start over.

As for people paying with excessive amounts of change, it really doesn't bother me unless it's a busy time of day or you expect me to accept it without first verifying it myself. Definitely don't tell me you can't be bothered to wait while I count it myself because you are in a hurry. It will probably result in a negative comment you won't like at the very least, and may even result in me pulling the item from the counter or not turning on the gas pump until I'm done verifying that the money is correct. Otherwise, it seems we can always use the extra change. Even so, I still would be embarrassed to carry a Ziploc baggie full of pennies into the store to pay for $5 worth of gas. I'd rather buy some coin rolls first and at least roll them if I couldn't take them to the bank. That is one advantage to working retail, we save our coin wraps. So, I stuff some in a shopping bag every so often to keep at home, then cash in a few rolls of change at a time as they build up.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
            . That is one advantage to working retail, we save our coin wraps. So, I stuff some in a shopping bag every so often to keep at home, then cash in a few rolls of change at a time as they build up.
            I just let my coins collect and then take them to the coin counter at the bank. I just opened an account at Commerce and when I took my coins in it came to over $71 (one of those medium-sized candle jars from Yankee Candle). Then I do something fun with the money (actually it's sitting in my account waiting for me to get around to doing something fun ).

Having worked in a store that employs tensa barriers, I am very careful if I am going to duck under, which I only do if there is no line. Or else I will just slip the end out, go through, and put it back on. I have seen what happens when you accidentally let go of it.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
              About the tensa-barriers, wouldn't it be the person's fault for getting hit by it if they're ducking under it rather than walking around? I'm clumsy by nature, so I'd rather walk around than risk making a fool of myself by stumbling around as I climb through it. Maybe that's just me, though.....
              Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Having worked in a store that employs tensa barriers, I am very careful if I am going to duck under, which I only do if there is no line. Or else I will just slip the end out, go through, and put it back on. I have seen what happens when you accidentally let go of it.
              BSE knows what I'm talking about. It's not the person ducking that really has to be worried, it's anyone in a 5-6 ft. radius that need look out. I saw a kid get tagged by the flying end, once...
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I haven't ducked under a tensa line since I was about 14. I don't see the point when it's just so easy to unhook it, walk through, then re-hook it. And I only do that when there's a huge loop around and it's totally deserted.

Then again, most SCs aren't terribly bright or mechanically inclined.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

PHP Code:
                  7. If you’re not the one buying ticketsthen keep your mouth shut. Do not order your tickets and then say“Well my wife/husband is coming with the money.” This includes children
                  When I worked at the theater, I HATED when people did that. It slows down the line. It was worse when they decide they want another movie instead and you already rang up the tickets.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    You know, I've never understood why people do this! You've had to at least seen a commercial for it. What, do people just say to themselves, "Hey, I have no idea what the hell the movies at the theatre are about, but what the hell, let's go and pick one at random!"
                    Done that a few times, actually. Cinema Roulette, I called it. Drive off to the local multiscreen cinema, see the next film on offer - no matter what it was. Saw some good stuff, saw some stuff twice, was seen chomping popcorn in a children's movie once...

I didn't waste a cinema attendant's time with it, though.

Quoth Sparkticus View Post
                    Not sure about pound coins though, although I HAVE had someone give me around £50 worth of those...

That was a fun transaction
                    Um, I may have had something to do with that. The Boss had just gone to the bank with the bulk of the day's takings, and an occasional customer graced us with his presence and his £50 note. These are pretty rare in the UK - we got perhaps three or four a year in our small village store. Could we make change for a £10 sale? Could we chuff.

Well, we could once I remembered some spare bags of pound coins of mine in the back. He ended up with two bank bags, each of them holding twenty pound coins, and was complaining that it wasn't very convenient for him. The irony of the situation apparently missed him.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Well, we could once I remembered some spare bags of pound coins of mine in the back. He ended up with two bank bags, each of them holding twenty pound coins, and was complaining that it wasn't very convenient for him. The irony of the situation apparently missed him.
                      How big are these bank bags? The ones I'm accustomed to will hold a couple thousand coins, so either these are much smaller, or you have some honkin' big coins, there.

Comment

These are the small plastic ones - they state a maximum of £20 in them.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          If there's a way around the set up, that doesn't require going through, I always disliked it when people ducked under. For this reason: at least 75% of people didn't stay ducked down long enough, releasing the Tensa barrier, letting it whip back, clang, clash, clatter, sometimes whipping someone with it, and people would always look annoyed at me for having it happen to them, or try to bi*** to me about getting hit by it. So every time I see someone duck under, I tense up, waiting for the barrier to get nudged enough to be released. It's kinda stressful.

Now, if you never have that happen to you, then kudos to you, and have fun. Just watch for a pained look when you duck under.
                          Yeah, I don't mind if they go around, when I set them up I always leave a spot open where they could squeeze through. It does bug me when people duck under because half they time they come apart and we have to call an usher to fix it quick otherwise the line will possibly back up flow out into the parking lot, because everyone follows everyone else LOL. But yeah I don't care so much if they go around it.

Comment

well the quids came in handy. Meant I didn't have to bug my manager for more change for the rest of the day

I think this guy was a coin horder though... he insisted on keeping the change bags after emptying 'em, and they looked well used... Not sucky really... took a bit of time but was quite pleasant...

Doubt it was your customer Raps. Unless he drove a couple of hundred miles
                            "Ah, he's not the first psycho to hire us, nor the last. You think that's a commentary on us?"

Comment

He didn't have one of those Leslie Phillips voices, a rather obvious hair transplant (four hairs in each pile - fascinating!), and was a retired dentist with shedloads of dosh by any chance?

Rapscallion

Comment

Noooo...

...Although I WISH he did!

"Ah, he's not the first psycho to hire us, nor the last. You think that's a commentary on us?"

Comment

Working...
                                X