Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I awake or is this a nightmare?? (extremely long, some language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I awake or is this a nightmare?? (extremely long, some language)

I have a bunch of stories saved up but this one deserves a thread of its own, and honestly I'm in no mood to rant about anyone but her... forewarned, huge rant and probably some language, though I'm trying to remember more details.

I just got off work about an hour and a half ago, takes me about half an hour to drive home, and between fifteen minutes (just after this call, my last of the day) before I was done with my shift, and about 15 minutes ago, I have been crying my eyes out because of how upset this ... woman... made me.

Now, I'm not an easy one to get upset. Yell and scream and swear at me because of your bill, your life sucks, my company sucks, I suck cause I can't help you as a rep of my company, I'll be sympathetic and do what I can for you, and endure it because I do understand... but start to insult me personally... I have two modes. Pissed off and upset to the point of being sick. Today, mostly the latter, with a little of the former.

One thing I am glad of, is that this woman was the last call I did of the day, because I was so close to being done, and I didn't have to deal with any more customers after her. Correction, two things... I also love my supervisors, sometimes.

Now, down to the story.

DW: Embodiment of spiteful, hate-encrusted, worm writhing in her own excrement until she can make her way down to Hell... we'll shorten it to Demon Woman. (Yes, a little vengeful, bear with me.)
    Me:
    Sup1: Wonderful sup who recently started being so.
    Sup2: My own sup, who is also great.

(Again, warning, this is very long.. as if it isn't already!)

Me: Good evening, my name is ShadedWings, may I have your account number please?
    DW: *give account number*
    Me: Thank you, and your name?
    DW: *mumbles something short and that sounds similar to last name*
    Me: *letting it go for the moment* Thank you, just one moment while I load up the account please... *after a moment of my computer being slow as frozen slugs riding on turtles in hell* ... I'm sorry, could you repeat your name for me?
    DW: *spits out the last name on the account*
    Me: *looking at a male name on account, no contacts listed* And your relationship to the account holder?
    DW: Good.
    Me: ... I'm sorry, could you repeat that for me?
    DW: Good!
    Me: ... I'm.. sorry, I do need your relationship to the account holder, please? *thinking she just didn't hear me right*
    DW: I said, it's good. We're okay.
    Me: Um... okay, but I need your relationship.
    DW: What do you mean?
    (note, this lady has absolutely no accent whatsoever, nothing to give me the impression she might not understand the definition... but I give the benefit of the doubt... ha)
    Me: How are you related to *first name on account*?
    DW: I'm Mrs. Lastname.
    Me: And what relation are you to him?
    DW: What possible answers would there be, for me to be Mrs. Lastname.
    Me: Well, without any contact notes on this account, Mrs. Lastname could be sister, mother, grandmother, aunt... I really do need to know your relation to him, or I will not be able to discuss the account with you.
    DW: What if I'm his grandmother, then?
    Me: Then I would not be able to discuss this account with you without his permission.
    DW: *gives me the run around for a few more minutes.. then finally gives me an answer!* Spouse!
    Me: Thank you, and what can I do for you today?
    DW: I already SAID that, now I want an ANSWER for my question.
    (honestly, she did say something toward the start of the call, but after arguing with her for ten minutes over who she friggin was, I had forgotten it... bah)
    Me: I do apologize, but we've discussed a lot since asked, and to be honest, I have forgotten what you did ask. If you could please repeat it for me, I would be grateful.
    DW: I SAID, since you have memory problems, that I got a call on my answering machine, giving a number, and I called that number and it was out of service. I want to know why would you be calling me anyway, and why would the number be out of service.
    Me: I'm not sure why the number would be out of service on the message, but I can see maybe why --
    DW: I can GIVE you the number, and you can look it up and tell me what it's for.
    Me: Okay, what's the number?
    DW: *rustling, then gives number*
    Me: I don't see that number on my contact list, I'm honestly not sure why that number would be given out, or what its for.
    (thinking, it's probably that she wrote it down wrong, or the message, which was most likely automated, was garbled...)
    DW: You're not sure of A LOT of things, it seems. Well, look it up and tell me what it was for.
    Me: I do not have that number on my contact list, I wouldn't be able to tell you what it's for.
    DW: Who WOULD have it on their list, and could tell me?
    Me: *getting a bit frustrated* Well, a supervisor might, but again, I'm not certain if they would, since we generally have the same contact lists...
    DW: I can play the message FOR you and you can listen yourself, do you want that? THEN maybe you could tell me.
    Me: *fighting to keep calm tone* If you want me to listen to it, I can, but as I've said, I'm not sure about the phone number (attempting to get to a different topic) but as for the reason we called you, I do see that you have a disconnection notice for 331.01...
    DW: I MADE a payment.
    Me: ... Yess, I do see that, we did receive a payment of 250.00, but the disconnection notice was for 331.01.
    DW: And?
    Me: *getting more irritated and flustered* .... and that leaves a remaining disconnection amount of 181.01 (yes I know it's wrong, I'll get to that in a second).
    DW: What?
    Me: There is a remaining disconnection amount --
    DW: I heard you, and you need to think again.
    Me: I'm sorry?
    DW: You obviously can't do even basic math, if you think that's right.
    Me: *uses a calculator instead of head-math this time* Oh, I see, I do apologize, it's 81.01, I'm sorry about that.
    DW: Yes, that's right, you got it this time. Where did you even go to school if you can't do basic math.
    Me: Texas. *being impertinent at this point, very annoyed, but still managing a professional tone*
    DW: And they can't do basic math in Texas?
    Me: Most likely. *smartass*
    DW: Most likely.. uh huh. Obviously. Well, then, what do I need to do?
    Me: To stop the disconnection we need another payment of 81.01.
    DW: No you don't. I spoke with ... Brian. And HE told me I wouldn't be disconnected.
    Me: Hmm, well let me look over the notes on the account and see what I have here...
    DW: OH my GOD, haven't you even done THAT YET?? You're entirely too slow and obviously incompetent at your job!
    Me: *decides not to reply to that one, as she's really starting to piss me off* I see that you spoke with a supervisor a few days ago --
    DW: A few days ago. Can't you narrow it down?
    Me: Um. The 11th. *growl*
    DW: uh huh....
    Me: And he noted that you had paid the 250.00 and that we couldn't guarantee service with that payment.
    (also, looking over said notes, Brian wasn't even the sup's name and she's had every single call on her account noted that she pulls crap like this and is entirely abusive, and has three notes on the account alerted and placed indefinitely at the top of the list about her behavior)
    DW: Well, I'm not going to pay it.
    Me: I'm sorry, but we would need that payment to stop the disconnection.
    DW: Okay, and what's YOUR ID number?
    Me: *give number*
    DW: And your last name?
    Me: I do not give that information out.
    DW: Oh, so I have to give you personal information but you can't give it to me?
    Me: That's not something we give out, and that's not the issue here. I needed to verify your info --
    DW: Okay, where are you located?
    Me: Western Pennsylvania.
    DW: Where's that?
    Me: *being smartass again* Western Pennsylvania?
    DW: Yes.
    Me: It's a state.
    (Ha, insult my intelligence and I'll do the same to you, even if it's in a nice tone of voice)
    DW: I meant what CITY.
    Me: Oh, near Pittsburgh.
    DW: Ah, now we're getting somewhere. What city.
    Me: Uhh.. *didn't I just answer that??* Pittsburgh.
    DW: And your supervisor's name?
    Me: *thinking oh my god please let me be able to give her to a supervisor and off my phone!* I have several supervisors here that I can get you to directly.
    DW: No, I want YOUR personal supervisor's name.
    Me: Ah, okay. Sup2.
    DW: Okay, Sup2. Good. This way I can have this info when I lodge a complaint against you.
    Me: Alright, I can get you directly to a supervisor so that you can speak with one.
    DW: No. *damn!* So you're telling me that I have to make a payment again.
    Me: Yes, we need another payment to stop the disconnection --
    DW: I'm not going to pay it.
    Me: Well, I'm not sure what else I can do for you, I have agency numbers --
    DW: I don't want those.
    Me: Then I'm sorry, but I can't help you in any other way, we would need a payment or I can get you those numbers. Is there anything else that I might be able to do for you tonight?
    DW: So you're saying you're not going to do anything else for me tonight!? (something along the lines of being incompetent again and telling me I don't know my job, or don't know customer service... I really don't remember as at this point it was taking all my control to remain polite and calm-voiced, I was shaking I was so upset at all the personal insults)
    Me: Ma'am, I'm willing to see if I can do anything else for you tonight, if you'd tell me what you want me to see about doing. I'm not sure what else I COULD do for you, but I'm willing to try.
    DW: *something about a supervisor, not asking for one, but argh I cannot remember honestly, my brain was being clouded at this point*
    Me: *latching onto that comment!* Do you want me to get you one??
    DW: Yes.

(singing choir of angels praising the heavens)

Me: Just one moment! *puts on hold, immediately releases (a little) frustration by throwing headset against the wall... then regretting that and picking up headset again, making sure it isn't broken, and puts it on*
    Sup1: Hello? Hello??!
    Me: Ugh! I'm sorry.. it's ShadedWings.. I've got... a woman for you... sorry, I threw my headset... who is this?
    Sup1: Sup1, and you threw it? Are you okay?
    Me: No... *at this point, not having to bottle it anymore, just burst out crying because I cannot handle personal insults that much* Just.. this lady.. is so... expletive, expletive!!
    (and yes, I did say expletive, because the calls are recorded...)
    Sup1: Oh dear... take a breath, calm down, give me an account number when you're ready...
    Me: Okay... *give account number, strangled by tears and between breaths*
    Sup1: Okay.. hold on, I'll be right back...
    (I take off headset because I'm crying nonstop now, maybe it was because it was the end of the day, or because this lady is a foul pit demon or something, but she just had it down to an art on how to turn everything I said into a personal, vile insult, and said it exactly in a nasty manner)
    Sup1: Hello??
    Me: *puts back on headset* Yeah... sorry.
    Sup1: Sup2 is coming over in a minute, transfer the call to me and I'll take care of her.
    Me: Okay.. but... this is what happened... *sums up the call, a bit of how nasty she is, and tells her the basics of what I told the woman as pertaining to her account status*
    Sup1: Yeah, I see she has tons! of notes on her account, and a lot of them supervisors or alerts... she's a piece of work alright. Just transfer her to me and I'll take care of her.
    Me: Okay, thanks. Incoming. *transfers*

Sup2: *comes over* Take a break, go for a walk, calm down. It'll be okay, just forget her.
    Me: Thanks...

At that point, I go off to the bathroom to get it out of my system, rant to a few people through tears, who ask what happened... after about five minutes, Sup1 finds me in the bathroom.

Sup1: You okay?
    Me: Yeah.. mostly. Not right now, but I will be. She... was just... nasty. Ugh.
    Sup1: Yeah. Well, guess what. She paid me the 81.01.
    Me: Heh, good.
    Sup1: And at one point she had asked me if went to the same customer service school that the "previous rep" went to, I told her that that comment was entirely inappropriate.
    Me: Good. It was. *grumble*
    Sup1: AND, I asked her if she honestly got any satisfaction from upsetting people that much. Seriously. She didn't say anything, in reply, just said something else nasty.
    Me: *nods*
    Sup1: Also, I got a little bit of revenge!
    Me: Oh yeah?
    Sup1: I deactivated her payment plan. I asked Sup2 if I should, he said go ahead. She was lucky it wasn't deactivated as it is, since she wasn't paying her full balance, it should have deactivated two months ago. AND I didn't put any holds on her accounts, so she should be back up for disconnection for even more money than she paid today.
    Me: and at the same time... ugh.
    Sup1: So, she only gets what she deserves. You sure you'll be okay?
    Me: Yeah, I'll be okay. Just ... ugh.

Okay.. /rant.

But, as I said, I was still upset by it enough to cry all the way home, and more when I related the story to my boyfriend. I just.. don't understand what the point is of being personally insulting to that level. All it gets you is the hatred of the customer service people, and the supervisors , and it's not like she really was vying for anything, just... chose to be vicious and nasty. It makes you wonder exactly what happened to her in her life that makes her want to slam someone else so entirely as to make them that upset. It wasn't just me, either, it happens every single time she calls.

Sometimes I wish there WERE a nice big button we could push to turn someone off or on. I'd definitely turn her electric off and then destroy the button. I hope someone gives her as good as she gives to others one day and she understands what she does is WRONG.

... I feel better. I honestly do. *sigh* Now to go find something to eat, since my stomach is not roiling anymore. Sorry if my novel is too long for some.
    Confirmed altoholic.

Totally understand

I'm sorry that witch ruined your day...cyber hug.

I'm just glad you have a good boss who's understanding of your feelings and helped you get revenge at that mean b**ch.

I totally understand how you feel. I work for the government and people love to hate on government employees. Mostly I can brush it off as their hating the "big bad government" but when it gets personal like that it's really hard to just brush off.

In my 9 years' career here I've had two customers get so personal & get me so pissed off that it brought me to tears. The first time I was so shaken up that my co-worker friend & I took the rest of the day off and she bought me a couple round of drinks at the bar and told me cooky jokes til I was laughing instead of crying and cursing.

The 2nd time I cried a little but sought cover in the atrium until I could re-gain my composure and go back to work.

Like you I have a very understanding boss.

Comment

Cripes. Sorry that you (or anyone, really) had to deal with that psycho hosebeast.

People like that do that because they're petty, useless things that are so pathetic that the only way they can feel any good about themselves is to belittle someone else who doesn't have the ability to fight back.

At the end of the day you've got a pair of great supervisors and a boyfriend, and all she's got is some fleeting feeling of superiority and phone service.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Shadedwings-

I am so sorry you had to deal w/this evil harridan.People like that-who make every comment out of their nasty mouths a personal insult deserve to be struck speechless for the rest of their miserable lives.
        I feel its's not only what they say,but how they say it as well-its's a double-barrelled attack.

Take Care

Altana

P.S-my very first post & I'm nervous!

Comment

Ugg I HATE people like that! What gives them the right to yell at someone like that?? I just don't understand it.

So sorry you had to go through that with that b*tch.

Comment

Quoth altana View Post
            P.S-my very first post & I'm nervous!
            Welcome, don't be nervous. We're nice and don't bite unless asked.

Thanks for the support, guys. I do appreciate it, it's nice to know that other people think she's a hosebeast too. (I like that one, I think I'll keep it. ) Now to just get rid of my headache from crying too much and to get my boyfriend to stop muttering about eating her face. Or maybe not...
            Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

o_o

Holy cow! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that! That's just about the rudest customer I've seen on the SITE so far!
              (I've been reading a LOT of threads for the past four or so days)

Seriously, some people just have problems with putting themselves in the employee's shoes. I can't get over how horrible she was to you. I'm really glad that it all ended well though >D

I could go on a huge rant just on the fact that she didn't seem to understand the concept that you have to pay your bills to get any sort of service. I honestly wonder how she grew up as a kid!

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better now. -hugs- Sup1 looks like a lifesaver of a friend. :3

Comment

Part of the reason people like that get away with things is that they wear down people just trying to do their job. It's also the reason people in service positions get jaded and nasty to people who have done them no wrong. Don't let her win. Learn to dis-associate yourself from aggression.

The SC's don't think of you as human, return the favor. Be yourself until someone becomes abusive. Then pull out the rulebook and quote from it. Bring out a monotone voice and PLAY with the idiots. BECOMING the "nasty person" at the other end of the line only lessens you. Crying because some jackass thinks they are entitled to get away with breaking rules and nonpayment is just letting them win. Turn the tables, remain positive and helpful to the nice people, and you'll last a LOT longer in customer service.

Comment

I'm terribly sorry you got to put up with that witch, Shaded Wings. Yes, I did read all of it.

My only disagreements are that "witch" and "hosebeast" are words which are entirely too kind for the likes of her. And the right string of words to describe her would probably get me a warning, at the least. Along with a mod edit to remove them.

Virtual hugs to you. Here's to hoping you never have to deal with her again.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                    get my boyfriend to stop muttering about eating her face.
                    Oh, tell him not to do that. I'm sure it must be very bitter and nasty.
                    It would probably give him indigestion or food poisoning.

Comment

Sup1: And at one point she had asked me if went to the same customer service school that the "previous rep" went to, I told her that that comment was entirely inappropriate.
                      Me: Good. It was. *grumble*
                      Sup1: AND, I asked her if she honestly got any satisfaction from upsetting people that much. Seriously. She didn't say anything, in reply, just said something else nasty.
                      Woohoo! You go, Sup1! Kudos to your supervisors for supporting you in your ordeal with that Demon Woman.

It's sickening, how some folks feel it's perfectly acceptable to treat their fellow human beings like garbage. Demon Woman must have such a horrible, pathetic, no-friends life if the only way she can be happy is by verbally abusing a phone center rep.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                        Part of the reason people like that get away with things is that they wear down people just trying to do their job. It's also the reason people in service positions get jaded and nasty to people who have done them no wrong. Don't let her win. Learn to dis-associate yourself from aggression.

The SC's don't think of you as human, return the favor. Be yourself until someone becomes abusive. Then pull out the rulebook and quote from it. Bring out a monotone voice and PLAY with the idiots. BECOMING the "nasty person" at the other end of the line only lessens you. Crying because some jackass thinks they are entitled to get away with breaking rules and nonpayment is just letting them win. Turn the tables, remain positive and helpful to the nice people, and you'll last a LOT longer in customer service.
                        Yeah, I've been in retail/customer service for about five years now.. various jobs. I'm just too "nice" of a person to become the monotone voice... I like playing with the idiots a little (hence the "PA's a state" comment and the like) but, obviously she'd had practice doing this sort of thing and just got to me. I do refuse to be the jaded cynical type, and would never do this type of thing to another person... which is another reason why it got to me. I'm just nice. :P and yeah, I was a cashier for most of the retail jobs, so I know the "you're not a person, you're just a uniform" attitude. Even with all that, I've only gotten personally insulted about three times, and most of that stopped at one comment. This was constant barrage of ammunition.

When I told my bf about the indigestion comment, he laughed and just said maybe he's just a masochist sometimes.
                        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

ShadedWings, sorry you had to put up with that beyotch. Your Sup1 was fantastic, at least. I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall for when Sup1 took the call.

Console yourself with this: people like Demon Woman can dish it out, but they'll fold faster than a mule on stilts in the middle of an earthquake if someone gives it to them back.

Pardon the threadjack, but your call reminds me of one I had to put up with when I had just started working for Bingo-****, the evil tv company. This "woman" got an automated overdue balance reminder call, but she wasn't past due. Her payment history wasn't great, but she was in the green for the moment. The best I could figure was her account had the same phone number as a different past-due account. I changed the incorrect number, problem fixed right?

Beyotch refused to accept my assurances, called me incompetent, demanded to speak to the "president of the company" over this. I ended up passing the call to a sup. I believe that words only hurt you if you let them, but this one definately got through my mental firewall. I mentioned to a college I wished the call center was equipped with a punching bag.

The next time some past-due bimbo got nasty with me, I let her have it. But that's another story.
                          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I do refuse to be the jaded cynical type, and would never do this type of thing to another person... which is another reason why it got to me. I'm just nice. :P
                            A trick I use that works for me sometimes: I think of people like this as poorly disciplined children. I use my parenting skills on them. (I'm not a parent, and never intend to be, but I'm an aunt - both actual and honourary.)

In the case of someone like this, think of her as a teenager trying to get you to let them have the car keys, or cash, or a late curfew.
                            If the teenager chooses to act like an adult about it, you'll consider the request.
                            If the teenager chooses to call you names and try to 'win' by saying you're not cool, or other people's parents let them, or in any other disrespectful way, you'll play the 'brick wall' and may even send them to their room until they choose to ask nicely.

Keeping the mental image of these people as bratty teenagers - or if they're bad enough, tantrum-throwing toddlers - helps me keep my cool. It might help you as well. Imagine this woman in a terry-cloth jumpsuit with an applesauce-stained picture of a clown, throwing her food off the highchair and yelling 'no'.

Besides, it's good practice for parenting.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's good advice, Seshat.

No one's feelings get hurt when a two year-old calls them names. We just sigh and put the child in a corner for a time-out. What can we expect? They don't know any better.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X