This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement... *language and a bit long*

Entire sentence: Entitlement whores who are pregnant = entitlement babies? Or maybe entitlement child support? My twisted mind wants to somehow personify entitlement so it can be the babies' daddy.

I'm reading over the really old posts out of amusement, and came across one where people who are pregnant feel like they are special, to quote it...

chainedbarista said:
    "pregnancy doesn't mean special; it means you reproduced, something almost all species can do. sorry dear, but you're definitely NOT a unique snowflake."

This reminded me of sooo many woman who are calling in to get their electric reconnected or to stop the disconnection because they have "babies" or are 9 months pregnant. (You have to wonder how many of them are actually 9 months, or if they WISH they were!)

I do understand the worry about their darlings being in the dark, but one of my calls today, in which the lady said she is due tomorrow and needs her electric back on, can't we just waive the security deposit and reconnection fees? I spoke with THREE different supervisors, one of who gave me an iffy answer, hence asking the second, then asking the third because he supposedly spoke with her personally about this the previous day, but never did... why it was noted he did, not sure. Anyway... ALL THREE said no. She has to pay the fees. She had already had assistance with the past due amount we were insisting she pay to get reconnected, but she needs to pay the fees too...

She ended up getting information for a medical hold, which basically is a doctor signing off on paper that she needs electric for medical reasons, which will place a thirty day hold or reconnection and hold on the account. We won't refuse it if a doctor does sign it, but it's their arse on the line if someone calls them on it and it's a stupid reason.

My whole point to this ramble is that my supervisor said something that made me ... "The baby's in the dark now, what difference does it make if it's still that way after it's born?"

People just assume because they're pregnant or have "babies" (which usually means children of any age as far as I understand.. one person even stated that her "babies" were 4 months, 18 months, 3 years, 8 years and 11 years. I'm sorry, after they can use the bathroom on their own and can feed and clothe themselves, they're NOT BABIES!) they're special. I have news for them...

Same woman even stated that it's illegal for us to disconnect her if she has children. If that were the case, then NO one would be disconnected except for people who haven't yet or have never procreated. That would suck for the company, but would be good for lawyers I suppose.

Something I've noticed... I'm almost incapable of writing a post that's not long. So, just assume that if I post a new thread... it's long.
    Confirmed altoholic.

Oh there have been longer posts! No worries! We all love a good read! We all love a good excuse to laugh and accidently spit our beverages at our computer screens!

I've never worked for an electric company or anything that deals with bills or collections or reconnecting....but I feel for you. I truly do!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Perhaps she shouldn't be having kids if she can't afford to pay something as simple as her electric bill.

And hey, if she said it's supposedly illegal for you to cut off her power if she had kids, then maybe you won't cut off my power since I have a kid. Ok, ok, I admit it, my kid is actually a 10 year old cat named Courtney, but she's so spoiled that she lives better than her human owners (or should I say the humans she owns).

And don't worry, I pay my electric bill on time and in full every month. I'm a good customer. The power company even hooked me up and cut down a tree that was threatening a power line for free! I know, it's usual business for them, but it's still really nice!
      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

There are instances where someone would need their electricity to take care of a new baby...my daughter had Jaundice and required a special lamp to help clear it up. She would have been in serious trouble (or would have needed to be hospitalized) had our power been shut off.

Now...in that instance, I would get the medical waiver to you ASAP.

Of course, I've always paid my bills on-time and in full, so it wouldn't be an issue for me....but I thought you should know that sometimes power is necessary for new babies.

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
          The power company even hooked me up and cut down a tree that was threatening a power line for free! I know, it's usual business for them, but it's still really nice!
          That reminds me! *threadjacks her own thread*

Had a lady call in once, a limb from a tree fell off and knocked her gutter off her house. Since apparently, it was tangled in the power lines, it's our responsibility to come out and trim the tree, which we do offer as a free service out of COURTESY, not required to, and she kept insisting we repair her gutter.

Problems with this...

A: We don't do house repair, we are an electric company.
          B: It's not OUR tree, so it wouldn't be our responsibility anyway.
          C: Even if we did fix it, most likely wouldn't be free.

We told her that it's the responsibility of the person whose property the tree is on to fix her gutter, most likely the land owner or landlord. She stated that because the tree is on the other side of her fence, right next to the road, it would be on OUR property... so, so wrong... she was advised that it would be the state's property at that point, not the electric company, and we wouldn't be fixing her gutter now even if we could, because she had been ranting about how we need to do it NOWNOWNOW cause it's all our fault the windstorm knocked a tree limb off.
          Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
            chainedbarista said:
            "pregnancy doesn't mean special; it means you reproduced, something almost all species can do. sorry dear, but you're definitely NOT a unique snowflake."
            Or as I've always said, "Congratulations! You figured out how to put tab A in slot B!"
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Damn, why didn't anybody ever tell me I was entitled to all kinds of stuff just because I was pregnant?

Seriously, what law book do these people read that says everything that doesn't go their way is illegal? Is there an SC handbook floating around?
              MySpace

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                She stated that because the tree is on the other side of her fence, right next to the road, it would be on OUR property.:
                um, unless the tree is growing ON the power lines...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's a power line tree! It is planted by those tiny fuses used in the boxes attached to the pole, and it grows into a tree that has the lines extend from its branches to fuse with nearby lines!
                  Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

** threadjack **

New Zealand: Woman dies after Mercury cut off her power
                    http://intercontinentalcry.org/new-z...off-her-power/
                    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10442627

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Or as I've always said, "Congratulations! You figured out how to put tab A in slot B!"
                      <horrible Peter Griffin imitation>
                      "That's what she said!"
                      </Peter>
                      <horrible Brian imitation>
                      "If you say, 'That's what she said' one more time, I'm going to pop you!"
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth sbandliz View Post
                        ** threadjack **

New Zealand: Woman dies after Mercury cut off her power
                        http://intercontinentalcry.org/new-z...off-her-power/
                        http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10442627
                        Unfortunately... it is possible, and obviously does happen. I do know that the company I work for goes out of their way to make sure this DOESN'T happen, and provides all the options available. Though, ultimately it comes down to, it's the customer's responsibility to notify the electric company of the need for electricity due to medical reasons, and once the company KNOWS about it, they can take action. I'm not saying they didn't, not knowing the details of this particular company under the spotlight, but also... the woman could have gone somewhere WITH electricity, such as a friend's house or even the hospital, since it's stated several times she died two hours after her electric got cut off, and once that she told her son NOT to call the ambulance.

I'm not saying she was at fault.. but it wasn't ENTIRELY the company's fault either in my opinion.

Also not trying to sound like an ice cube either... I think it's horrible to have happened. Just trying to shed a bit of light on procedure from at least my company's viewpoint.

I feel bad for her son though, to have been there when it happened...
                        Last edited by ShadedWings; 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM. Reason: typo'd
                        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Law? What Law?

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
                          Damn, why didn't anybody ever tell me I was entitled to all kinds of stuff just because I was pregnant?

Seriously, what law book do these people read that says everything that doesn't go their way is illegal? Is there an SC handbook floating around?
                          And that is where it gets interesting. Ask for the citation number of the law and listen to the excuses. If they know it is the law then they should be able to give me the info to find a copy of it. No citation, no law.

More fun if they insist on calling the police, and you get extra points if they do it by dialing 911.

Comment

to the dead woman- it didnt sound like it was entirely the power companys fault, if she had gone to the hospital she would have been ok.

but pregnant women aren't likely to die without power (not with standing the rarecases where they where being monitored...)

Comment

Re: Threadjack about the oxygen lady...

This was more the family's fault than anyone else's. There is no way a power company is going to knowingly cut power to someone who needs it for their health. No amount of money in the world is worth the bad press (and possible criminal charges) due to someone dying over lack of power.

Both articles say, specifically, that the son told the contractor that went to the house to cut the power about the need for the oxygen, and one of them disputes even that (in fact, the contractor was not charged as the police investigation determined that he was not aware of the issue). There is no mention at all that they made any attempt to alert the power company of their need. The disconnect process takes over a month. The family had more than enough time to make the proper arrangements.

Also, the health board made a statement that the woman would not even have been sent home if they believed she needed to rely on the machine to live, so it should not have put her at risk of death. They are "very shocked" that she died due to not having the machine. And the fact that she would not have an ambulance called just puts further responsibility on her own shoulders.

There are numerous contingencies in place for any utility company when faced with a customer's health issues. It is up to the customer to take the proper steps to make sure those contingencies are active, not the utility company.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X