Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I already sold my Immortal Soul. For a lifetime XBox Live! subscription, a XBox 360, a T3 connection and a copy of Halo 3."
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Sounds like a sweet deal! Can I get in on that?
      "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
      "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
      --Dilbert

Comment

Happened to a friend of mine, B:

*B helps take some furniture to a woman's car, and loads it in*
        B: There you are ma'am.
        Woman: Thank you, young man. You've been very nice and helpful. You know, I'll just bet you're a Christian, aren't you?
        B (who is not a Christian): Yep.
        Woman: I just knew it! Thank you!

I mean, come on, lady. There are nice people that aren't religious. I know it seems foreign to you, but it's totally possible.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Back when non-travellers were allowed in the airport concourses, I'd tell the various missionaries that I was a Satanist. Christian, Mormon, Hare Krishna, didn't care who ... although, I did take the Hare Krishnas little cakes, they were yummy.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
            Sounds like a sweet deal! Can I get in on that?
            Of course, just call 1-666-LUCIFER and say "Damnation".
            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
              "I'm sorry but I am not permitted to discuss this topic while working. Is there anything else about your purchase that I can help you with?"
              PERFECT RESPONSE!

I never have understood why people on this board become so worked up over anyone wanting to share a religious belief. It is not as if the religious person's motives are evil. The person is trying to share with you something that person has found that he/she feels is good and would be good for you as well. What is so wrong with that? I get the feeling there may be a little guilt behind the fury and bravado given as replies to these people.

If you do not wish to discuss or hear whatever the person has to say, simply say a polite "No Thank You," "I do not discuss my religious beliefs," "I am fine, thank you," "I am not permitted to have such a discussion on the job" etc. and be done with it. If some pamphlet is thrust into your hand, you can always throw it away when the person leaves if you do not want to look at it.

If the person persists in trying to speak with you, state a firm, "As I just said, I cannot/do not wish to discuss this, now what else can I do for you?" The person may look hurt, but will get the point that you mean what you are saying.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                If you do not wish to discuss or hear whatever the person has to say, simply say a polite "No Thank You," "I do not discuss my religious beliefs," "I am fine, thank you," "I am not permitted to have such a discussion on the job" etc. and be done with it. If some pamphlet is thrust into your hand, you can always throw it away when the person leaves if you do not want to look at it.

If the person persists in trying to speak with you, state a firm, "As I just said, I cannot/do not wish to discuss this, now what else can I do for you?" The person may look hurt, but will get the point that you mean what you are saying.
                The reason people get so worked up about it is, at least in my personal experience, they don't respond to politeness. The ones I have dealt with will completely ignore "No, thank you"s and "I don't discuss my religious beliefs"s. I say I can't discuss it because I'm at work, I get the answer "This is more important then your job, you have to listen to me and be saved." And they also try to touch or grab me by the arm.

That's why I get worked up about them. I've never had one of them come up to me and be polite, or respectful of me.
                Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

The reason most of us get so worked up about people trying to share religious beliefs is because there are appropriate places to do so and one's workplace isn't such a place. Moreover, most such people won't take the hint that their sharing of religious beliefs is not welcome. Short of telling them to piss off, some will insist in sharing whatever they believe, no matter how many times you tell them that you are NOT interested.

However, some will get the hint the first time and some will even have the decency not to bother. But we will always remember of those who annoyed the hell out of you, because they were a nuisance.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                    I say I can't discuss it because I'm at work, I get the answer "This is more important then your job, you have to listen to me and be saved." And they also try to touch or grab me by the arm.
                    If the person does that, then they have gone too far and a ruder response is merited. That person obviously does not understand that a captive audience is not going to respond favorably to whatever the person has to offer. If they are Christian, then they have not learned from the examples shown by Jesus in the first four books of the New Testament for how to get people to listen.

My post was in response to the original post that labeled the two women as "religious nuts" simply because they wanted to talk about their beliefs. Note that the older woman backed away when AKWalMartCartGuy told her he did not want to talk with her, and the younger woman stopped when he got firmer. I do not understand why those two were called "nuts" and the story put here for them to be laughed at. What did those two do that was so wrong?
                    Last edited by South Texan; 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM.
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't have called them religious nuts. These two seem rather tame compared to the nutters I've had to deal with.
                      This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        But I DO worship Satan!

well he is an ok hockey player but worship.... that's going a bit far
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

so spoketh the Reverand Hagee (and John McCain's good buddy until last week)..
                          You know, by now a moderator has been able to post and mention that many areas of religious threads end up with them closed ... hey, look, Ree did just that!

The above is risking bringing politics (I think) into the mix as well. Please, closed threads are embarrassing.

Rpascallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            You know, by now a moderator has been able to post and mention that many areas of religious threads end up with them closed ... hey, look, Ree did just that!
                            He's right, religious threads never end well no matter how innocent or benign they start. -.-

Comment

If the person does that, then they have gone too far and a ruder response is merited. That person obviously does not understand that a captive audience is not going to respond favorably to whatever the person has to offer.
                              That's the whole point. Most of the people here are a captive audience while at work. And, they are definitely not permitted to give ruder responses. A rude response can get people written up and potentially fired.

As such, I believe the ladies in the OP are way out-of-line. They have put the cashier in a horrible position.
                              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                                I get the obvious referrence to the year in which Jesus-Christ is assumed to have died, ...
                                Ahh...thank you. Was raised Catholic and have studied some history of World Civilization and never recall that year being brought up. I guess I was asleep those lessons! Which is entirely possible.

Religion and politics - bad first date topics and bad board topics...it hardly ever turns out well...

So, how bout them Yankees?
                                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X