This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business card templates in IrfanView?

I'm looking to make myself some business cards, and I pretty much know what I want to use as far as graphics, etc.

The image program I have is IrfanView, and I was wondering if there were an easy way to wrangle a business-card template out of it. OpenOffice has a card template, but I can't see a way to import graphics.

I'm also open to other (free) graphics program suggestions, if there's another one that has what I'm after.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

IrfanView is for viewing image files and basic editing (crop/resize/resample) not really for creating new images.

I would personally go for an art program myself, going probably with GIMP. (actually I'd use Paintshop Pro 8, but I own that) and create an image that matches the size of the card you want to make. Then simply copy and paste on an 8.5"x11" image to make the arrangements.

Now notably, there are programs that are set up for this, but for the cheapest in price, you have to put in the effort.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

OK, I whipped one up in GIMP, but can't find a printer template for the stock I have (Avery 8373 business cards). I did find a plugin but it no work on Windows. M$ Word and OO can't open it at all (I have two jpg files saved; one is image only, and the other image and text).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        OK, I whipped one up in GIMP, but can't find a printer template for the stock I have (Avery 8373 business cards). I did find a plugin but it no work on Windows. M$ Word and OO can't open it at all (I have two jpg files saved; one is image only, and the other image and text).
        Word for Windows should be able to do it without a plugin. Just import the graphic to the card once you've set up your template.

In Word 2003 - Tools -> Letters and Mailings -> Envelopes and Labels.
        Labels tab, then click Options and scroll down to the one you're using (tip: you can click once in the list and type 8373 to get to it quickly). Click OK, and then "New Document" to create a full page of these cards.

In Word 2007 - Mailings Tab, then click Labels. Then Options, Select Avery from the Vendor drop-down and select the template you're using.

One tip I found works on both versions: Insert the image you want on your card and select it BEFORE you go into the Envelopes & Labels options. It will pull what you've selected into the wizard, and apply it to each card on the new page.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Got it! (Word 2003 was missing something ...eeh, this machine must be possessed)
          Ooh, these look neat. Not uber-professional, but...

Comment

Got it! (Word 2003 was missing something ...eeh, this machine must be possessed)
            Ooh, these look neat. Not uber-professional, but...
            Incidentally, we want pics.
            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Or it didn't happen, huh? OK...: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...zcardBLANK.jpg

(identifying info altered for obvious reasons)

Not "truly" professional, but I like it...all I really want is a basic one for now.

Comment

I like it. The font works with the picture well.

I also like how random it is to go "tech service. Tech service. Pet sitting."
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah, I wanted a font that was a bit unusual yet still easy to read (it comes out darker on the glossy card stock...mom saw this as a test on regular paper and griped that the font was unreadable)

I'm nothing if not random ...hey, I taught McGriff to type--well, if by 'typing' one means "plop down on/walk across the keyboard and see what happens"
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-04-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Or it didn't happen, huh?
                    nope, had to do it in high school and just wanted to give some tips when you said it's not really professional.

The artwork is nice. A few things though for mass producing it (as is typical with most business cards later on)

1. clean up the image background. That is going to print with the rest of the card and gives it a sloppy look. put the image into Gnu, and filter out the gray background. It will make a world of improvement.

2. You might want to get permission to remove the signature off the image in exchange for a disclaimer on the bottom or back of the card. You're promoting your services, not the artist's work and logos don't get artist's signatures.

3. I see that card and the first thing that stuck out was the pet services. The logo should cover all bases in a simple matter. Maybe the wolf in a monitor with an antenna broadcasting dollar signs? The logo is your branding and is the first thing people notice. You want that to associate with everything you do, or you will get a lot for pet services and almost nothing for the other work.

4. Reduce the font. Most business cards have a fair bit of blank space for note taking. Keep the name the same size, reduce the services a couple points, and the email probably 3 points. As long as it's visible when printed, it will work.
                    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Or it didn't happen, huh? OK...:
                      Nice work.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Finding clipart that will work for what I want is proving difficult...I can't draw. I did find some free stuff that I can probably play with...I was thinking something simple like a computer monitor with a wolf face on it....or maybe a wolf jumping out of a computer screen?

This one was whipped up in a few hours just as an experiment. I do like the font though, seeing the cards at actual biz-card size it probably can be reduced slightly (a bit worried about legibility with that font).

Comment

The wolf jumping out of a computer screen is pretty detailed. The simpler the logo is, the better.
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                          X