X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well. Happy holidays to me.

My 26 year old niece had a stroke.

During major surgery to repair damage from a staph infection. Spleenectomy and double-heart-valve replacement.

She has an 18 month old son, and recently separated from her husband - her dad (my older brother) thinks that the stress may have contributed to her condition when she was finally admitted to the hospital in mid-December.

The damage was mostly to the left hemisphere - speech centers were damaged and mobility is severely impaired. She finally passed her swallow test yesterday, which is a major improvement, and hopefully a major indication that the damage is healing at least a little. It appears as though her personality, knowledge, and self is intact, but her communication is limited to sounds and gestures.

This is difficult for me. My brother has lived in Florida for most of my life, and although we were closer to his kids than to my other brother's kids, we still didn't see them as much as we wanted. Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with her shortly before she became pregnant, and we talked a lot during her pregnancy. I was working on planning a trip down there this January to finally meet her son. I'd still like to go, but now it'll come with a hospital visit instead of trips to coffeehouses and playgrounds.

Please keep her, and my family, in your thoughts. We're hoping her youth works for her, and that she recovers at least some of her previous ability.

*hugs* we're here for you, and she's in our thoughts, you know that.

Comment

Prayers and good thoughts going to her and you Lupo. Hope she recovers soon and fully.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this! Sending prayers and good thoughts her way for a full recovery.

Comment

Keeping her, her son and you, too, in my thoughts.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh, hell. She and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Goshdarnit....will keep her and the fam in my prayers. /hugs
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Sending good vibes!
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

You're all in my thoughts, KiaKat - her, her son and all your family
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                  X