This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza tipping...how much?

I know it's probably different depending on where you live, but I've never been sure what's an acceptable tip for pizza delivery folks. I always tip at least 20% when I eat at a restaurant, is that the standard for delivery, too?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

15-20%, yes, although I'd recommend a minimum tip on a low-priced order, and supplement when there's bad weather. (I once tipped a driver $20 for delivering in a snowstorm.)

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      15-20%, yes, although I'd recommend a minimum tip on a low-priced order, and supplement when there's bad weather. (I once tipped a driver $20 for delivering in a snowstorm.)
      I've done that, too. The day my brother moved into his house it was pouring rain (his friend and my dad actually got stuck in the truck for about 10 minutes waiting for a particularly hard downpour to subside) and we ordered pizza. He and my dad were going to do something in the basement so he gave me the money. I forget what he put in for the tip but I added a few dollars because of the weather.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

http://tipthepizzaguy.com/

adjust with weather and such. I will generally do about 20% myself

Comment

Usually I start at 20%. Every 5 minutes early, the tip goes up 5%. If the weather is bad, the tip stays at 20%. If the weather is good, it drops depending on how late it is but never below 10% after tax.

I've had inedible pizza and when I called the store for a remake, I still tipped the guy another 10% as it was the same guy who had delivered the first time and not his fault.

YMMV

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I feel that 20% is far too high but I risk a fratching warning for saying more.

If the pizza is delivered and its really hot or cold out or they go above and beyond then they will get a fairly nice tip from me. I once gace a cab driver a $20 tip for a reason thats a long story and would take forever to type on my kindle. Usually they get a dollar for every ten spent. But only if they did an excellent job. If they do a bad job then I dont give them a tip.

Comment

*sigh*

Tipping threads never end well around here.

Just to head off any potential drama and hurt feelings, lets keep it civil and restrict your responses to giving the OP advice. I don't want to see this devolve into the typical debate about American tipping practices and how much they suck, etc.

Thanks!
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

For a basic order (1-2 pizzas and maybe a soda) I generally give $5 flat instead of figuring out a percent. That amount increases in cases of bad weather and holidays. Highest I ever tipped was $25 for a guy with 4 wheel at my regular shop that was willing to delivery in what shaped up to be a nasty snowstorm and ended up stopping at a 7-11 for me.

Note: I did not ask him to, he called when he got in his vehicle and saw how bad it was getting. Since I was a regular, he knew I had a low slung car and might have trouble.

Comment

When in doubt with tipping, 15% is always a good rule of thumb to start with.

Comment

I typically tip 15-20%. I'll tip more if the road conditions are bad.

I always tip a minimum of $2 if the order is less than $10 (seldom; the order usually has a $10 minimum in my area).

The local guys have gotten to know me (I order out a lot because I often don't have time to cook as I should), so I usually get my orders fast. They treat me right, and I treat them right
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I don't even pay attention to the price, I tip per box (typically my base is $2 per box delivered, which can go up in bad weather or for fast service and down for lower service). My attitude is that it takes the same effort for the delivery driver to deliver a box to me whether it is the $10 special or the $25 deluxe everything including the kitchen sink... I take the same attitude at restaurants, I decide how much I feel they are worth before even looking at the total and then use 15-20% as a check figure for whether or not what I decided was reasonable (again, the special and the filet minion take the same effort from the server).
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

My minimum for delivery is $3. I usually tip at least $5, however, as long as I have it available.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X