Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spider-man Fans, How Are You Holding Up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-man Fans, How Are You Holding Up?

So Spidey fans, how are you handling the latest deveopment?

I honestly don't know much about Doc Ock (only what I have read in my son's Spider-man books and what my husband has told me; in my son's books you always get the feeling Doc Ock might be able to win if he'd stop being so arrogant) as my comics tastes don't really run to Spider-man, but when my husband told me about issue 700 I was pretty shocked.

Among my friends it seems they are not happy but interested enough to keep reading and see what they do with it. It seems to me that if Doc Ock is somehow seeking redemption he's not starting out on the right foot.

So how do you guys feel about it? And feel free to educate me on Doc Ock if you wish while you're at it.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    So Spidey fans, how are you handling the latest deveopment?

I honestly don't know much about Doc Ock (only what I have read in my son's Spider-man books and what my husband has told me; in my son's books you always get the feeling Doc Ock might be able to win if he'd stop being so arrogant) as my comics tastes don't really run to Spider-man, but when my husband told me about issue 700 I was pretty shocked.

Among my friends it seems they are not happy but interested enough to keep reading and see what they do with it. It seems to me that if Doc Ock is somehow seeking redemption he's not starting out on the right foot.

So how do you guys feel about it? And feel free to educate me on Doc Ock if you wish while you're at it.
    The most interesting stories in comics tend to be about villains. The villains are almost always more interesting than the hero (Peter Parker being an exception, but quite frankly they ran out of things to say about him). Villains who try to go good can sometimes make for great story telling. There's a real opportunity to tell a great story here. Doc is going to have to quash his baser instinct (which stem mostly from his pride, the greatest of all sins) to keep his cover intact. Can he do it?

My guess is he can't but he'll make a good go of it. Should be a good ride. I haven't followed Spider Man in years, but I may just have to add the book to my subscription list and see what happens.

I haven't been reading Marvel much lately (just Thor at the moment, which rocks), so I don't know how Spidey's go with the FF worked out and if he's still on the team. Isn't Johnny Storm back?

Anyway, we all know death isn't permanent in the comics. My guess is Peter will be back at some point.

Heck, they couldn't even keep Barry Allen dead (and how I do wish they had--and I'm a huge Flash fan).

Doctor Octopus (aka Dr. Otto Octavius, aka Doc Ock) was a brilliant physician/scientist who experimented with prosthetic arms, which got grafted permanently onto his body. He wasn't a very nice guy to begin with, and became a criminal after his accident, but Spidey kept getting in his way and became one of his most recognizable villains. There've been some variations to his origin stories but he's always brilliant, cranky, and overly impressed with his own intelligence and abilities (he thinks everyone else is beneath him). His arrogance is often his undoing.
    Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 12-30-2012, 05:43 AM.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I read the issue through....other....means, and I'm thoroughly disgusted. Not just because of the outcome, but also at how out of character MJ was. How could she not notice Peter not acting like Peter, let alone her doing an impression of a doormat?

This won't last more than a couple of years at most. For those who think otherwise, I have two words:

Ben Reilly.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
        I read the issue through....other....means, and I'm thoroughly disgusted. Not just because of the outcome, but also at how out of character MJ was. How could she not notice Peter not acting like Peter, let alone her doing an impression of a doormat?
        One More Day reduced her to being a bit character than Peter's primary love interest.

Personally? It's an interesting twist but it won't last. Predictions are putting it at 6 months before it gets ret-conned.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The whole Doc Ock making a move on MJ is more than a little creepy.

Thankfully, it won't last. Nobody is happy with this Dan Slott story.

Comment

Of all the Spidey villains, Doc Ock was the most appropriate to do this with. After all, spiders and octopi (octopodae?) have something in common - 8 legs.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

it won't last; until Peter is back, though, I won't be reading Spider-man.

Comment

I kind of expect that since Doc is a super-genius, they froze his brain for study (with Peter inside) so when Doc Ock's true evil nature overcomes his flimsy conditioning he'll do something terrible and the public will refuse to take it, and somehow Peter will get switched back into his old body. Not sure what will happen to the good doctor though- maybe he'll get lucky and they'll put his brain into the body of an Adonis or something.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  I kind of expect that since Doc is a super-genius, they froze his brain for study (with Peter inside) so when Doc Ock's true evil nature overcomes his flimsy conditioning he'll do something terrible and the public will refuse to take it, and somehow Peter will get switched back into his old body. Not sure what will happen to the good doctor though- maybe he'll get lucky and they'll put his brain into the body of an Adonis or something.
                  Oh god, THAT's the plan! They're going to stick Parker's brain into that Twilight knockoff version from the latest movie and use it to explain why he's still considered a geek despite being one of the most popular kids in school. Then they'll do the whole modified spider genes again and start from scratch!

Sad part is I get the odd feeling I'm spot on with that.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I'm not sure how much Marvel's editors actually care about fans, to be honest. Dan Slott said in an interview somewhere that 700 would anger fans- if so, why do it?

Comment

Meh, it's the comic book industry. "Bat-shit insane" is the usual answer and it's still the most accurate.
                      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                      X