This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Health Problems

My older beagle, Jack, is about 11 years old. Since getting on his diet, he is down to 30 pounds, which is fine for a beagle his size (Nearly 16 inches).

All of a sudden, last month (December), he started throwing up at night. It's just bile so he's no puking up anything abnormal. His diet hasn't changed. He's been begging for food earlier and earlier. I used to feed him dinner at 4pm, but moved it back to 3:15-3:30pm since my stepdad feeds the dogs early, like 6am. He'll start begging for dinner around 2:30pm, even 2pm sometimes. He's always been bad with begging though. Once he hit 30 pounds a few months ago, his weight became static. He's become more energetic once he lost weight. He's also epileptic and takes phenobarbital for it but that's never been a problem.

I googled it and some people just said giving their dog a little food at night before bed solved the problem. I'm now left wondering if he's got acid reflux like I do. I know how rough it can be at night with acid reflux.

My mom is cheap and despite the fact knows we should have taken him to the vet, won't do it or won't give me money to take him. I personally just pop an antacid tablet at night, but I'm always wary of giving a dog human meds.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Maybe try holding back a little bit of food from morning and evening feeds (teaspoon or two from each), and giving him that right before bedtime? This way, if that is the trouble it gets solved without adding more calories to Jack's diet.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Don't give your dog human meds without checking with a vet first. Some human meds are very toxic to dogs and cats.

If it were a cat, I'd think a hairball. Feel his belly; if he is in pain he needs to go to a vet asap.

Otherwise, you might try the other suggestions with food.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

He doesn't seem sick. Not in pain or anything. No changes in behavior.

I'm going to give him a slightly smaller dinner and give him a little food before bed.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
        X