Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruined someone's birthday surprise. Oops.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruined someone's birthday surprise. Oops.

This morning my AM got an angry customer calling to demand that we refund a charge on his credit card placed Monday that he saw on his statement. He had been in on Sunday and bought something though.

So when I get in for the day, AM goes through what happened, and shows me reprints of the transactions in question.

I giggle a little.

The transaction on Monday was actually his wife buying him a birthday present, obviously on a joint account credit card. I'd personally served him on Sunday, and his wife Monday so I knew the whole story.

Guess who had to call up and ruin a birthday surprise?

Oh...oops.

I did something similar once. A guest's wife called to confirm a couple reservation dates at the Resort. I was like, "I see one for December XX, one for January XX, and one for February 14th...."

I realized it as soon as I said it that I probably shouldn't have mentioned Feb 14th. It was a Valentine's Day surprise by the husband. She laughed it off and said she would act surprised when he announced it. I think I also sent them a bottle of wine or something to try and make up for blowing it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

And who here gets the blame for not using better judgement than to charge it on a JOINT account?

Comment

Hubz and I have joint accounts, but we also each have a credit card that's separate. I forget what we use his for, but mine pays for our cellphones. Since Hubz can actually add, he keeps track of the budget and expenses. If I need to get him a gift I want to stay a surprise, it goes on my separate card.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

At least you didn't ruin the birthday itself.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Erk, I've ruined a surprise before. I used to work in a hotel restaurant that took reservations for holidays, because we always got booked solid. And since space was so limited, we'd call the week before to confirm reservations and make sure they still needed the reservation. A couple customers became very irate when I ruined their Valentine's/Mother's Day/Whatever surprise.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Erk, I've ruined a surprise before. I used to work in a hotel restaurant that took reservations for holidays, because we always got booked solid. And since space was so limited, we'd call the week before to confirm reservations and make sure they still needed the reservation. A couple customers became very irate when I ruined their Valentine's/Mother's Day/Whatever surprise.
              If they really wanted these reservations to be a surprise, they should have provided their personal cell phone number, so any follow-up calls would be routed directly to them and not the house phone where anyone could pick it up.

Comment

You're expecting them to think. Since we're discussing SCs, the flaw there should be apparent.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm sure I ruined a surprise present several times last Christmas season thanks to seasonal help. With phone orders if there was an issue with the cc info, there would be a pop up asking if one wished to proceed. Of course, the "no" option should be selected so the info could be corrected or the order voided out. However, the seasonals tended to just hit a random button to dismiss the pop up. The order would be entered but since we couldn't authorize the card, the order would be on hold and me or one of the other fully trained agents would have to call and get the cc info again. Since people tend to be leery of random people calling asking for credit card info (and rightfully so), my messages left on machines tended to have details about the order so they would know it was legit. I am positive at least one child found out they were getting X by checking the message on the land line.

Comment

This reminds me of the married guy a few years ago who bought his mistress some expensive roses, and the florist sent the "thank you" card to his residence, which his wife opened first. The bastard tried to sue the florist. Not sure what became of that, but how dare the florist ruin his double life.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                      This reminds me of the married guy a few years ago who bought his mistress some expensive roses, and the florist sent the "thank you" card to his residence, which his wife opened first. The bastard tried to sue the florist. Not sure what became of that, but how dare the florist ruin his double life.
                      Everyone say it with me now...

Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                      X