This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make a polite request?

This goes for a lot of posts on CS - not all of us are familiar with the jargon used and it sometimes spoils the story. Could someone please explain what a bolt, notion and tulle are?

Thanks,
    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Ugh, coupons. -.- I hate the damn things; whenever there's petrol coupons around, SCs seem to crawl out of the woodwork all the time.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I thought a bolt was something that screwed with threads...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And the tulle gets really annoying because everyone now is making no-sew tutus... It takes more tulle than people expect, and they ALWAYS make a beeline for the expensive ($5.99) sparkly kind, instead of the cheaper ($1.49) kind. So it's either about $36, or $9 for a 5 yard cut. Guess which they want? Then they want me to cut it up for them. Not happening.

This right here is a big problem in my opinion. I don't cut pieces of fabric unless told to by my manager. I can never get a straight answer on if special cutting is allowed by policy or not. It's like the coupon issue. There's always so many exceptions. For example, we never used to have coupons in the store (which were valid that day, we sometimes had coupons for the next week) but now we have them all the time! So people just come in and ask where to find the coupons. And we definitely don't take expired coupons... Except. Sometimes Canadians get theirs in the mail late. Which is fine. But then the other people in line hear that and think that's a normal thing.

Sorry, small rant is over. I'm actually in a super great mood because today is inventory day and I have it off! Wooooo!
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            Bolt = a bolt of fabric; basically a length of fabric wrapped around an inner core of cardboard, usually has several yards/metres of fabric wrapped around it.
            Looks like these:
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Nemesis44UK View Post
              Can I make a polite request?

This goes for a lot of posts on CS - not all of us are familiar with the jargon used and it sometimes spoils the story. Could someone please explain what a bolt, notion and tulle are?

Thanks,
              Ah, sorry for not explaining that in the original post! And thanks patiokitty for giving definitions

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Then they want me to cut it up for them. Not happening.

This right here is a big problem in my opinion. I don't cut pieces of fabric unless told to by my manager.
              My store made a policy that we NEVER cut fabric up for people. If they want five yards off one bolt, they're getting a five yard piece.

I'm actually the reason the policy got put into writing, when I was new I didn't know that this was a thing (older employees just knew about it and it never got mentioned to me) so I was working one night and these two ladies come up with about 15 bolts of fleece to make no-sew throws. 29 yards of fabric total, they wanted it cut into 1-yard sections. And of course they told me that they "always" get it cut that way, my manager is no where to be found... so I start cutting.

I finish up and after I'm done my manager takes me aside and tells me that, for the future, not to do that and they're going to make it an official store policy going forward because with that amount of fabric it becomes a problem with shrink and accuracy. Oops.

Comment

XCashier how did you get a picture of my sewing room?
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Willowe View Post
                  I finish up and after I'm done my manager takes me aside and tells me that, for the future, not to do that and they're going to make it an official store policy going forward because with that amount of fabric it becomes a problem with shrink and accuracy. Oops.
                  Sorry they pulled one over on you. That's the policy at our store, too, though the customers try to finagle their way.

"The Nexttown store gives me special cuts!" Um, no. No, they don't. I've shopped at the Nexttown store, and asked them, and they do no such thing. It's a company-wide policy.

"The other girl did it for me!" No she didn't. See above.

"You used to do it at your old store!" Lather, rinse, repeat. See above.

"I promise I won't tell your manager." That's nice of you. Still not going to do it.

"If I was buying different fabrics, you'd have to." Well, no kidding, Sherlock. I can't magically join several fabrics together, can I? But you're not buying different fabrics, you're buying one. You're getting one cut.

"I can't cut it myself!" Then why the are you working with fabric in the first place if you can't cut?!

"But I neeeeedddd it done that way!" Well, tell you what. You go around and ask those dozen customers standing around waiting for you to finish if they don't mind waiting longer so you can have a special cut. If each and every one is okay with it...well, I still won't do it. Buy a pair of scissors and a cutting mat and do your own work!
                  Last edited by XCashier; 08-15-2014, 03:44 PM.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Willowe View Post

I'm actually the reason the policy got put into writing, when I was new I didn't know that this was a thing (older employees just knew about it and it never got mentioned to me) so I was working one night and these two ladies come up with about 15 bolts of fleece to make no-sew throws. 29 yards of fabric total, they wanted it cut into 1-yard sections. And of course they told me that they "always" get it cut that way, my manager is no where to be found... so I start cutting.
                    When there was a new employee at my store a customer wanted this and it was slow so I was letting the new girl do it, but I let her and the customer know that we don't always have time... I was nice, and she was getting what she wanted, but OMG she started yelling at me. I don't mean talking loudly, I mean the whole store could hear her. I didn't grovel at her feet, begging her to keep shopping here, so I pretty much just had to walk away.

"I have been doing this for YEARS and I've NEVER had anyone tell me no, and I will NOT shop here anymore if you won't. I'll just order it online!" Yeah, good luck getting online stores to cut it for you.

There is a lady who all the cutters hate with a passion. She comes in, asks for 2 yards. Then, after you cut it, she wants 2 more. She will try to do this with a whole cart of fabric. She hates me, too, because after she did this once, I told her if she did that again, I was not going to sell her the 2 yards, I was going to cut a 4 yard piece and sell the 2 yards to someone who actually wanted that amount. I could only do this because the manager who will back me up was on duty that day.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ahhhh

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                      Bolt = a bolt of fabric; basically a length of fabric wrapped around an inner core of cardboard, usually has several yards/metres of fabric wrapped around it.

Notion = things like thread, buttons, needles, zippers, hooks, bobbins, packaged lace/bias tape/ribbon, etc. All the fiddly bits that go into making and finishing a sewn item.

Tulle = a fine mesh netting-type of fabric, think of tutus or wedding veils and you've got it.
                      Many thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.
                      There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        I thought a bolt was something that screwed with threads...
                        In fabric stores, a bolt is something the SCs use to screw the clerks.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X