X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh

A pretty short tutoring one.

background: I tutor essay writing, among other things. Sometimes I get someone who wants me to proofread a short story they're doing. I'm a writer myself, so I know I am going to be very hard on them, and thus deliberately hold back.

I ask the customer, once I see that it is a short story, if they want me to just proofread it, or do they want me to make comments on the story as well.

They confirm they want me to make comments on the story.

It's very reminiscent of Divergent so far, with everyone being split into groups and that sort of thing. I point out that "Death camps" might not be the greatest name for a government to deliberately give to something, that they might use a more PC name, and then I guess the student decided I was too harsh as they logged off.

I'm sure it could have possibly been internet problems, but the timing was suspicious. First comment I make and they're gone?

Maybe they read the mention of "PC" and they misinterpreted it to mean you were oversensitive by the terms? That's really the best I can come up with. Although with some people, I wouldn't even put it past them to reply with, "Um, no I'm using a Mac."
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I haven't gotten too many stories myself, but that sort of behavior is why I don't pull my punches. I'm politely blunt

Still, students signing off because we don't give them exactly what they want is frustrating
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

When they asked for comments on the story, what they meant was, "Tell me how awesome it is."

Reality bites
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've never understood that attitude. I'm a writer myself, and I've constantly looked for someone to read my stories with that kind of perspective.

I might not agree with their findings, but I want to hear them, and I would happily discuss them so I can make a better product.
          The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Well, I do this because the two stories I've gotten so far were clearly written by people still in middle school. (Or at least, I assume. The service very rarely gives indications as to what grade the student is in.) I feel that some coddling is appropriate with a writer--a let them develop their confidence before you rip them to shreds sort of deal.

I know I sucked as a writer as a kid, and it took me a while to gain confidence enough that I could let other people look at my writing, and let them be honest without issues. But somebody is paying for my time (whether it's the child's parents or their school) and I did deliberately ask if they wanted comments on the story.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
              I'm a writer myself, and I've constantly looked for someone to read my stories with that kind of perspective.

I might not agree with their findings, but I want to hear them, and I would happily discuss them so I can make a better product.
              I do some freelance editing in my spare time (as long as the person I'm editing for has no immediate deadlines). When I'm given a creative piece to edit, I always ask the same kind of question Cooper asks--whether I should check for technical accuracy only or provide commentary on the content as well. And I warn that, when I edit content, I will be blunt and thorough.

I have one friend who refuses to let me see her writing at all anymore. I have another who really likes my comments and often asks for my specific brand of feedback, even though his wife (who knows me only by my comments on his stories) thinks I'm an arrogant jerk.

Asking for editing is not the same as asking for encouragement.
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

That's exactly my attitude. And I've seen far too many professional writers who've gotten big enough that they can cow (or even do away with) editors except for proofreading.

In almost every case, they should've stuck with full on edits.
                The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                X