This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first SC or three as a newbie cashier

See, I didn't last long as a cashier. Reasoning? I was too cautious. that day a man had gotten upset because my screen asked for his ID # You know these people. "I get enough sales calls, I do not need more. Besides I've been shopping here since before you were born young lady, never have I had to hand over my identification so I call my manager over to explain that I couldn't complete the transaction without it. Begrudgingly, after 10 minutes of holding up my lane, he forks it over. Shortly after I get the "I need each product in a separate bag, you must guess what I'd like double bagged" custy this is my second day mind you. This is my first job since staying home about 20 years with my kids. Well she'd noted my numbers and custy waiting times were bad. Well god forbid you talk to nice ones! Or make certain you've entered in things correctly. I wasn't even given a fighting chance at that task.

Long story short I get called into the managers office. Door closed behind me, great so since I hadn't worked for so long, I got put at the door, greeting. Cashiering was just too much for me. My last day doing cash, a regular SC had nothing but organic produce, like 12 different various fruits and veggies, and two bottles of wine. She comes in every morning for the wine, so I'm told. Not all produce has a "PLU number" right on it, and I hadn't yet committed them to memory, except for the bananas, so I looked them up. This really angered her big time! She was in a great hurry! Customers behind her even told her to settle down, obviously the girl is new. I guess that pushed her over the edge. As a result these three SCs all complained to my manager that day. I was a greeter for 5 months before getting moved into a department.

Greeting is the worst...I can't deal well just standing there for the better part of our shift. We also did the occasional carry out, kept the bathroom swept and presentable, (women's room was quite a challenge) and kept the area cleared of carts/amigo motorized carts. I was moved into a department because I'm really quite particular about cleaning up a mess, and things being orderly in general. I'm supposed to be retrained at cash because sometimes they'll call departments to lanes when it's busy. It's been months and still hasn't happened I hope to god it never does. I think that's all I'd need to make my head explode! I've tried to memorize those numbers for the produce. I have ADHD, so this is difficult. One guy, very helpful when I was at cash used to tell me the numbers. To this day I name some obscure new fruit we carry, he knows the number. I wish I could do that.

Since when is being too cautious a bad thing?

Comment

Being too cautious is being too slow. A balance must be meet.

BUT, I did not see any overly cautious behavior, just A**ho**s being themselves. It was really bad luck to get so many, so early, and so close together.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

People just don't have any patience anymore. When even the other customers call them out on their behavior, that should be a big clue for them, but no...Heaven forbid they have to wait an extra few seconds while the newbie looks up a produce code.

Sorry you had to deal with such jerks, HBC. I hope things get better for you.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I would like to know when society in general decided that if a person hasn't got any free time whatsoever, a good thing to do between mandatory tasks is to run to a store somewhere, fill a cart to overflowing with goods (none of which match the coupons crammed in their purse or pocket), and proceed to give the cashier hell because they "don't have time for this." Why the fuck are you doing it then!!??
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            Since when is being too cautious a bad thing?
            At my job, before I retired, the saying was, "Poor quality isn't a problem until there isn't enough of it." In other words, if you're too slow, you not doing the job right.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I would like to know when society in general decided that if a person hasn't got any free time whatsoever, a good thing to do between mandatory tasks is to run to a store somewhere, fill a cart to overflowing with goods (none of which match the coupons crammed in their purse or pocket), and proceed to give the cashier hell because they "don't have time for this." Why the fuck are you doing it then!!??
              I dunno. That person's sister runs a spa near me, though and sends her towels to the laundromat to wash-dry-fold. The towels are always folded WRONG. Well, hun, they're folded by whoever is on that shift when your stuff goes through the system. You refuse to buy a secondhand washer and dryer to have at the spa, or to pay your employee to go down there and do the job the way you want it done.

Comment

Working...
              X