X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No veggies for you!

Shortly after I came on SCO duty yesterday,. I get this gem:

A woman had 9 bags of frozen vegetables. She had probably started scanning too fast, as the belt sent the last two back (the first one had been accepted and then sent back/removed, the second one hadn't even scanned in, she just threw it on the belt). I come over as the light's blinking and she lays into me.

SC: Oh my GOD this is stupid! I don't know why I use these machines! [I do...]
    I take the two bags off the front belt, clear the error and go to rescan them. It's clear what happened; she had 5 bags of X and four of Y. It's obvious that two of Y is not on the order. I quickly explain "The system didn't pick up these last two, I'll scan them in."
    SC then goes to grab my hand.
    SC: "No! Hold on! I don't trust this damn machine and I don't trust YOU!"
    Okay, that's it. I stop short of scanning the first Y, pick up the bags and go to return them.
    SC: "I need those!"
    Me: "You don't trust me to scan them in correctly, remember? This transaction is done. Pay for what you have now."
    Then (I didn't get to deal with this as I was helping someone else) she tried to leave without paying. ASM2 nipped that in the bud; I guess she tried to complain about me and he told her (politely) to GTFO. Never saw her again during my shift, so she must not have needed those cheap veggies after all.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Oh my God the gall of some people. I had one woman call me stupid, thick and every name under the sun used to insult someone's intelligence. The reason? I scanned something twice by accident. I told her that this transaction was over, that I was refusing to serve her. She flipped out and couldn't understand why I was being so rude. Then her daughter started defending her saying that her mum had done nothing wrong. But I just ignored the both of them until they walked away. I'm NOT going to serve someone who insults me like that. I'm also not going to stand there and listen to someone who is adamant that I'm wrong and they're not.

Comment

Gotta love how often people think we're complete morons. It's not like we do this every day for eight hours a day...
      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I think I'm the most competent SCO overseer my store has...one of the rare breed who not only likes doing it--gee, what scam or system glitch can I catch today?--but some things are almost second nature by now so I'm fast at fixing issues. A few regular customers have laid into the jerks on my behalf ("I see her here all the time. She knows what she's doing, so shut the hell up or leave")

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          A few regular customers have laid into the jerks on my behalf ("I see her here all the time. She knows what she's doing, so shut the hell up or leave")
          Now that's a moment in your day that gives you that certain butterfly tickle in your tummy of pure joy, a moment in equivalence to heartfelt flattery from a loved one.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            Oh my God the gall of some people. I had one woman call me stupid, thick and every name under the sun used to insult someone's intelligence. The reason? I scanned something twice by accident. I told her that this transaction was over, that I was refusing to serve her. She flipped out and couldn't understand why I was being so rude. Then her daughter started defending her saying that her mum had done nothing wrong. But I just ignored the both of them until they walked away. I'm NOT going to serve someone who insults me like that. I'm also not going to stand there and listen to someone who is adamant that I'm wrong and they're not.
            Ah yes the abusive, entitled customer that has been lulled into believing you have to sit there and take it.

I remember when I was a 16-year-old phone wench at Domino's Pizza many years ago. I was handling a callback. A woman called in pretty irate because her order was incorrect and now getting the correct order to her would mean it would be getting there late. It was not enough that the pizzas would be free, at this point, she also needed to vent her rage at the inconvenience by cussing me out in a way that would have made a sailor blush.

I waited until she paused and informed her, "Ma'am stop cursing and yelling at me or this phone call is over. I'm trying to help you but the help stops if you don't stop verbally abusing me."

She paused...and then apologized! She quieted down and we got on with completing a correct order to resend.

Meanwhile, *as* I was reprimanding the lady on the phone, my dillwad manager said, out loud - in front of all my coworkers, "Never speak to a customer like that."

As soon as I got off the phone, I told my manager, "Never tell me to accept verbal abuse again. I *will* speak to a customer like that if they are cursing me out. I do not have to put up with it."

Now I really should have pulled my manager in back for my response but the cool part was that he was so shocked at how I spoke to him (I barely talked to my coworkers or boss, much less *backtalked* them) that he let the whole subject drop. It helps to have backup from your boss to not let yourself be abused. It sucks when they try to set you up to take abuse.

Comment

A lot of our shift leads won't back cashiers; when they do, they still give the SC what they want because "it's good customer service" (then what's the point of having policies at all?).

One of the reasons I despise ringing; in addition to the physical reasons why I can't stand behind a till for 7 hours, if I'm running SCO I find people are less likely to try and argue with whatever I tell them (maybe it's the shirt).

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                Gotta love how often people think we're complete morons. It's not like we do this every day for eight hours a day...
                You're telling me.

I love it when they call back after a work order and demand compensation for the truck fee they could have avoided if they'd actually checked to make sure xyz was plugged in. 'but nobody ever goes back there!'

Fido isn't a nobody, just a non-human member of the family, lady.
                "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                X