Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Tales of Bad Parenting (Featuring Blood! Bodily Harm! And Broken iPads!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth eltf177 View Post
    Why is it this is exactly what I expected to hear?
    To be fair, the shelf fell on the kids. Management thinking may have been "if we don't try to sue for payment for the iPad, maybe she won't try to sue us for having a shelf that was capable of falling on kids".
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
      My late husband remembered the LAST time he acted up in public:

His mother scooched down, so she was eye-to-eye with him, and said, "If you don't stop that right now, I'm going to pull down your pants and spank your bare bottom in public."
      And he was only 34 at the time :P
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
        maybe its just me, and the fact that I'm old, and was actually taught as a child you do not misbehave in public, and disciplined if I did. But I'm so sick of being either at work, or out shopping, and seeing kids who are all over the place, and the parents either do nothing, or very little.

We had someone in last night, mom, grandma and two little girls. who were running all over the place, touching everything, and just being bored kids. I can't say I blame them, since its no fun waiting for the adults to try clothes on. But....when your kids are doing things they shouldn't be, and are not listening when you tell them to stop, how about taking some action? Take them out, or go over rather than just yelling across the store to quit it?
        I was taught this as well, and I taught my daughter the same thing. On a related note, there was also no way in hell my mom would give me a piece of gum or candy or a snack or whatever while we were shopping, ESPECIALLY not if I whined about it. When I was a kid, we were taught to behave. When my daughter was young, if she wanted something then she had to behave and then I'd let her pick something out of one of the quarter machines at the front of the store on the way out. I see this lack of parenting every single day, several times a day, and it just makes me sad. Kids are allowed to run around like banshees, destroy the store, get in the way of my work (like messing with the bag turnstyle, that drives me nuts!) and they get rewarded for it with toys and candy and soda. I just don't get it.

I finally lost it one day and actually yelled at a kid because he was spinning the turnstyle, the parents and several older brothers and sisters hadn't bothered to load anything off of it into their cart, and a gallon jug of bleach went flying and splattered all over the floor. Bleach! Could have gotten in my eye or the kid's eye or another customer's eye. So I put out the wet floor signs, start cleaning it up, and what does the family do when he starts spinning the damn thing again? Nothing at all!! So I yelled at him to stop. And a completely unrelated customer in another line starts yelling at me. I walked away after that and asked a CSM to get someone else to finish up for me.
        Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          That kid that punched you, though...honestly, even as a parent who has been popped a few times (accidentally) the natural instinct is to strike back without thinking and you really have to control yourself to not do that. I might have walloped the kid across the head on instinct.
          I probably would have, too. I have done in fact; no, I'm not an evil kid-smacker, I just have a neurotic fear of my personal space being invaded and if someone suddenly hit me or shoved me, my instinctive response is to hit out. Once I kicked a child who suddenly grabbed my legs while in a shop, the other time a boy wearing those damned Heelys crashed into me while I was at the mall, and I hit him in the chest. Both times, there were no parents to be seen so I didn't get yelled at, but if I had been, I would have told them to keep their kids under control in public.

Seriously, if I owned my own store, I'd have a sign saying "All children must be kept on a lead". Not dogs, children. My dog that I used to have would quietly and obediently walk at heel; these children weren't at heel and the hell knows where their parents were.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            I probably would have, too. I have done in fact; no, I'm not an evil kid-smacker, I just have a neurotic fear of my personal space being invaded and if someone suddenly hit me or shoved me, my instinctive response is to hit out. Once I kicked a child who suddenly grabbed my legs while in a shop, the other time a boy wearing those damned Heelys crashed into me while I was at the mall, and I hit him in the chest. Both times, there were no parents to be seen so I didn't get yelled at, but if I had been, I would have told them to keep their kids under control in public.

Seriously, if I owned my own store, I'd have a sign saying "All children must be kept on a lead". Not dogs, children. My dog that I used to have would quietly and obediently walk at heel; these children weren't at heel and the hell knows where their parents were.
            Yeah, I've told the story here on the boards before about the time I angered some bratty kid because I wouldn't let him do... something or other at the wholesale club. I think he'd had some item, and the father had decided not to buy it, so it was sitting up on my register, out of reach.

Paraphrasing, it went something like this:

Kid: "Gimme that [item]."
            J2K: (looks at Father)
            Father: (shakes head no)
            J2K: "Nope, sorry, kid."
            Kid: (glares at me, looks at my shin, draws back foot for a kick)
            J2K: (warning) "If you kick me, I will hit you back."
            Kid: (blinks in surprise, thinks about it, kicks me anyway)
            J2K: (gives him a soft, but noticeable, thump on the head)
            Kid: (claps hands on head) (turns to Father)
            Father: (shrugs) "He warned you."
            Kid: (pouts)

I very purposefully did not thump the kid hard enough to bruise, just enough for him to feel it and let him know that I could have done worse. Granted, if I had, I'd have gotten in a lot of trouble from the wholesale club where I worked, but I like to think that the bratty kid may have learned his lesson about not hitting people just because he can't get his way.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
            X