This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner doesn't work

I have an HP 3210 All-in-One printer/scanner/copier. It prints well (when I have sufficient ink). It scans documents well. I assume it copies well, though I haven't needed to copy anything in some time.

I used to be able to scan negatives and slides on it, but now, it's throwing a hissy fit. It just isn't scanning them, and when I opened the Help Center, it informed me that I didn't have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player downloaded for Internet Explorer.

(On a side note, why should that matter? I don't understand.)

So, does downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash Player fix the problem?

Of course not, because I'm unable to download it.

Suggestions?

Can you do a "manual scan"? I know that on my system (OSX and HP 3250 all-in-one) I can do a click-and-drag to select a rectangular region to scan.

My guess is that Flash is only needed to go to the webpage that hosts the Help Center, so even if you had the latest and greatest it wouldn't help.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Yeek. Maybe try going into Paint (etc) and see if it'll scan from there. If it asks for a type/source, choose TWAIN scanner, point it to your printer, and see what happens. It could be that it's having an issue with HP's built-in drivers.

Alternatively, try uninstalling the HP scanner driver and see if you can do the above.

Note on Adobe Flash -- There was an issue with some programs (such as QuickBooks) in 2005~2006 where a program said that it "wanted" version ABC123 or later, but what it really meant was that it wanted version ABC123 and nothing else. See if you can obtain an older version of Flash, uninstall the current Flash, and install the one you found; see if that helps.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I fiddled around with it, and discovered that there's an old driver that's no longer in existence, so I downloaded another file (directly from the HP site, so don't worry), that sort of works.

I say "sort of" because when I try to scan, I end up with a lovely thick black line with no photographic features whatsoever.

I think it's time for a REAL film scanner.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Stupid question, but are you using the "hat"? Many years ago, it was common for flatbed scanners to list negative/slide scanning as one of their features, but the film needed to be backlit. Solution? A triangular affair, white on the inside, that was a couple inches thick and the width of the scanner bed. You'd put your negative/slide at one side of the bed, put the "hat" over it, and scan. As the lamp went past, light from the "no film" side would shine up, be reflected off the inside of the "hat", and backlight the film.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Either the above, or some scanners instead have a backlight in the lid, that you need to remove the white reflective part to expose

Comment

Working...
            X