Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people really complain about free milk?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people really complain about free milk?

Like many others, I get the https://www.usda.gov/media/press-rel...od-box-program on a weekly basis. The food helps us stretch our grocery money, and it helps the farmers.*

Each box has a gallon of milk, along with other good things. I can't drink that much milk, so I give my extra to a friend who has young children. Today, my friend was in the car behind me, so after I got my box, I pulled over, grabbed the milk and carried it to her. She was still finishing up with one of the volunteers who saw me coming and instantly asked (rather defensively) if there was a problem.

Why would anyone complain about free fresh food. The volunteers attitude made it clear that it has happened in the past, and that's just not right.

*Free dairy, produce and some sort of meat product AND no income limits or applications. All you have to do is show up, give your name, address and number of people in the home and a nice young person will put a box of food in your trunk and wish you well. Its well worth looking into.

r/ChoosingBeggars.

Comment

It's sad that I can think of a bunch of reasons from the top of my head. "I wanted fat-free!" or "this expiration date is too soon!" or "this wasn't kept refrigerated, was it?! it's warm!"

You could walk up to someone and give them a hundred dollar bill, show them that it's real and not fake, and they'd be like "could I get this in small bills?"

When I worked at the fabric store I'd walk across the street to the Starbucks on my break pretty often and if they made a drink wrong or extra by accident they'd say what it was, that it was free, and put it on the end of the counter. No one ever wanted it. I'd take it back to the break room and of course someone would be glad for a free drink, but in the coffee house nope. No takers.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

On the Starbucks thing - I can only postulate that I've seen people get suspicious of things that are free; i.e., they assume that something must be wrong with it, especially if it's edible. This may very well be inspired, in part, by people's tendency to donate expired canned/boxed food to food banks/charity boxes.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, sadly some people look for any rea.. excuse to complain. Wouldn't even surprise me if someone said they couldn't have it because they're lactose intolerant, and asked for an alternative...
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

The old saying is don't complain, or cry, over split milk. It doesn't mention free milk. Unless you spill the free milk.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've been in customer service all my life. I really did think I had seen it all, but to complain to a volunteer about the quality of free government milk is just wrong.

I talked to someone else about the food sharing event and he said he went, but there were at least 30 cars in line, so he just left. I've waited in these lines, 30 cars is less than 10 minutes.

I have no idea why he thought nobody else would be there getting a box and I didn't ask. I told him that the line always moves really quickly, so he's going to the next one but will be there half an hour early. I'm not quite sure why sitting there waiting for half an hour is better than waiting in line for 15 minutes, but again, I didn't ask. Sometimes I really don't want to know.

Hubs predicts that he will get there half an hour early, get mad after five minutes and then leave and complain about it again. I'm totally not taking that bet because I know that some people really don't want to be helped.

Comment

Do you happen to have a website link for the places where you can actually go to get these boxes? I'm in Arizona too, up in Chandler. I may have overlooked something when I was looking through the link you sent me, I'm kind of perpetually brain fried lately.

Comment

If you were in Yavapai County, I could hook you up in no time at all, but I'm not so sure about Maracopa. St. Mary's is usually the one distributing them here, so maybe call them. While I was searching, Matthew's Crossing also came up a bunch.

Here's a link I found with a list of food banks in Chandler, I'm sure that one of them would know who's getting Maracopa's boxes.

https://www.foodpantries.org/ci/az-chandler

I hope you find a place close, these boxes really are helpful even if you don't like 2% milk.

As far as I know, these boxes are being distributed country wide. The program is called American Farmers Feeds American Families.
                  Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 10-31-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Working...
                    X