This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-way aisles; one entrance; one exit

So now, certain stores have implemented one-way aisles, meaning you can only enter them from a certain end. If you want paper towels, you enter that aisle from near the entrance; you have to instead go down the soup aisle, go to the end, then enter the paper towel aisle near the back of the store.

I at first had a hard time following this policy being for years, I and everyone else shop the normal way and enter from wherever I am. This is a pretty clever idea someone came up with as it was meant to cut down on the number people on any given aisle, and to have people do their social distancing.

Unfortunately, we have "entitled" people who don't feel as if they need to follow these rules. Yesterday, I was in a Publix, there was a cart with paper towels on it. One woman saw this, and started texting someone about it. Where did she stop at? Right next to the cart, which means she was blocking the entire aisle! To be polite, I waited a full minute thinking she would send a quick message, then move on. Nope, she was writing a freaking novel, and I finally said "excuse me!", to which she nearly jumped out of her shoes with some annoyance! Yep, I was being rude to her because I wanted to get down the aisle and get what I needed. Never mind that she was creating a roadblock.

To keep the stores safe, they also have implemented one entrance and one exit instead of entering wherever you wanted. Yet, they still have people coming and going where they want, even when managers remind these customers. And of course, those are the same customers without a face mask, and who stand close to you, even though the signs are there as well as the places on the floor showing six foot intervals.

These are some of the reasons why Covid 19 is not going away anytime soon, because people like this won't follow the rules.

"Excuse me" isn't rude. You could have said "Make a hole!"
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

"You know, if you shifted just a little bit to one side, you'd block the entire aisle/sidewalk/alley so much better."
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Also - you make a better door than a window!

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          "You know, if you shifted just a little bit to one side, you'd block the entire aisle/sidewalk/alley so much better."
          This is definitely my favourite.

My store has those arrows and most people follow them ... but yeah, not all. I have to confess, with considerable embarrassment, that occasionally I find myself (when doing personal shopping) wandering absent-mindedly the wrong way down an aisle.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I caught myself doing that the one day the arrows had been removed for floor cleaning; in my defense, I forgot one item and only saw the dirt outline of the arrow when I turned back around. The arrows really should be placed up above on the aisle signs as well.

When this started, mom made fun of me for actually making a list by aisle and only shopping at stores that I already knew the layout of...when word came down that stores were enacting one-way aisles she looked at me and goes "Damn, I guess you were right after all".
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              I have to confess, with considerable embarrassment, that occasionally I find myself (when doing personal shopping) wandering absent-mindedly the wrong way down an aisle.
              I've done the same. It's easy to forget, since they have the arrows the opposite way I've been traversing the aisles for years. Plus the way they have the arrows doesn't always make a lot of sense. It seem like half the time I follow the arrows to the next area I need to be in, and the next set of arrows is pointing the opposite way I need to go.

Not all of the stores have them, though. The smaller store across the street from the one I usually go to doesn't have them. They do have a designated entrance and exit so they can keep count of how many people are going in and out, which I believe is required.

EDIT: I just found an article saying that the store where I normally shop is getting rid of the arrows.
              Last edited by MadMike; 05-14-2020, 01:50 PM. Reason: Update
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

None of the stores here that I've shopped had one way aisles. Honestly I have my doubts of the usefulness of such a practice but putting that aside, you'd really need employees at the end of every aisle to enforce it. Around here yes a lot of people are really doing well, following guidelines and all. However, here's a significant chunk of the population who know the rules, not just store guidelines but actual state mandates, and straight up said "make me."
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I was at Walmart this evening, observance of one way aisles was a bit mixed, but people were doing nicely at giving each other space. Mask usage was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the shoppers, and I do not recall noticing an unmasked employee.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    "Excuse me" isn't rude. You could have said "Make a hole!"
                    My advancing age has completely emptied my lifetime supply of giveashit. My remark would have been 'MOVE YOUR ASS OUT OF THE WAY!'.

Comment

Stores here pretty much all have their employees masking. Plenty of them with fully-exposed noses, though >_<
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Stores here pretty much all have their employees masking. Plenty of them with fully-exposed noses, though >_<
                        ... evilly considers packing a spray can of foam sealant ...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So COVID spreads if I walk the wrong way down the aisle, but not if I walk down it the way directed on the sign? I did not know that.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          That would be me if I were still working in retail. I get tired out more easily wearing a mask during my longer shopping trips. When that happens I sneak off to an empty aisle, a corner or the bathroom, pull down my mask, and take some deep breaths before I put it back over my nose.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

IPF - Same here. I have joint problems (and other issues), so it's hard for me to shop for long even when leaning on a cart. I usually have to stop and sit down after 20 minutes or so, at which point I pull my mask down to catch some cool breaths (as long as there's nobody nearby) -- for me, it's more about the accumulated heat than anything else. I get tired with or without masks.

I was talking about customers and workers walking around the whole time with the mask only over their mouths but not their noses, even when working in areas close to open pans of food.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I pull my mask down to catch some cool breaths (as long as there's nobody nearby) -- for me, it's more about the accumulated heat than anything else. I get tired with or without masks.

I was talking about customers and workers walking around the whole time with the mask only over their mouths but not their noses, even when working in areas close to open pans of food.
                              I find it much easier to breath when I wear a face shield, still gets warm and sweaty tho.
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the ability to accept what I can't, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

Working...
                              X