This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't mean to offend. :(

I was checking out students and she asked about a sale. I asked my sup to help and we were checking out the app to see if there was anything. At first we weren't having luck, which surprised me because it's back to school and I figured there must by something. I said as much, making a joke about it with something like "...hey, Company, help the [college] kids out!" The young man said "I'm 21" which confused me until my coworker tried to smooth over the fact that he was offended by my using the term "kid". I made it worse by explaining in a self-deprecating way that I'm middle-aged--old enough to be their mom so anyone of their age is a kid to me. I kind of want to defend myself here because I saved them $20 and they didn't have to do anything at all for that and the fact that many people would've laughed and said "I know, right!" But I suppose never mentioning age to anyone is the plan for now.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-23-2016, 11:48 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I'm in my 20s and call people my own age or even a couple years older "kids" sometimes. I usually don't even realize it for a few minutes, then I go, "Wait, he's older than me, how is he a 'kid'?"
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

So you shouldn't be offended when someone asks you very personal questions about your health while at your work, but the word "kid" is unacceptable. First, you could have been talking about college kids in general (that's actually how I took the context), second, you weren't saying it in a derogatory way... Third, assuming a person is young is generally considered a compliment. *sigh*

Last edited by notalwaysright; 08-24-2016, 01:41 AM. Reason: better meme
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        First, you could have been talking about college kids in general (that's actually how I took the context)
        Yes, I meant all the college students in general who shop at our store, not these particular two. And they looked like teens to me, but I assumed they might be in college by what they were buying.

Comment

I find it slightly demeaning when a customer refers to me as "kid" or "young man" at work...but then again, I'm forty-two. Someone who is BARELY out of their teens should just take it in stride.

Comment

I find it a bit irritating to be called "dear" or similar endearments by anyone who's younger than me. Then again, once I hit 50 it took me a bit to get used to being called "ma'am".

Comment

Hah hah hah. I got ma'am'd the other day! It did take me aback for a brief moment, but YAY, she was polite in her ma'am-ing, and we were talking civilly, so it's all good! And yeah, I'm 61, and I have a lovely hairline of silver now, so I guess I should totally expect it.

My basic feeling about ma'am-ing is that as long as it's polite, and you don't call me 'yo, bitch!', I'll roll with it.

Comment

Well, FL, that KID (and he was a indeed a kid) was 21 -- Which means, everyone on the planet should now magically know he's old enough to buy alcohol legally, so you don't need to check his ID!...Right? I mean, he has 3 weeks' worth of stubble now! He's ready to adult! (The poor fool, bahahahaha)
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was at Job #2 (probably should now be called Main Job) today ... somebody called to make an appointment. I got "Good afternoon, sir" and "Thank you, sir" all the way through the call. At one point the caller actually thought I was Bossman. When I said I wasn't, caller said, "Oh, I'm sorry, sir."

Hint: I'm not a "sir."

But I have a fairly low voice for a woman and this is something that's occurred sporadically all through my adult life. I'm looking forward to the invention and widespread distribution of visiphones ...
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

^ My coworker ma'amed a sir the other day.

Comment

21 is still a kid as far as I'm concerned. He was offended? Really? Where's my itty bitty violin when I need it?...LOL!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        ^ My coworker ma'amed a sir the other day.
                        OMG I did something similar a while ago in my now Secondary Job! I was heading for two customers, not looking closely at them, and said "Hi ladies" ... one wasn't a lady.

Alas, praying for the floor to open up and swallow you doesn't work ...
                        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Meh, if it's not malicious, no foul. I occasionally get called "Ma'am" even when my hair is short (think Beatles circa 1964).
                          Now, for malice, I'll channel Freewhellin' Franklin, "Why don't you suck ... and find out!"

'Sides, us old coots and cootesses can look a lot alike...
                          Last edited by dalesys; 11-23-2016, 01:34 AM.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

Alas, praying for the floor to open up and swallow you doesn't work ...
                            sorrynotsorry

Comment

Working...
                            X