This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstiening

So a while back, my friend and I got a bunch of apples. I have about 9 G4s in a mix of silver and dark blue. I also have a spare bright blue G3. The cases are all pretty much the same shape and as a fun project since I have so many cases (since at least have if not more are essentially just cases with various parts inside) I wanted to try to mix the three different colored cases together into one case. The insides will then be upgraded so I can upload and store all my movies on it.

These are the ones I have:
    http://techfresh.net/wp-content/uplo...owermac-g4.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pc-G4-2003.jpg
    http://www.africapc.co.za/images/G3l.jpg

Has anyone had any expirience taking apart cases like those that can offer any tips? I know there's a chance (maybe even a good one) that this project won't work. This is more of a just for fun thing for me than anything else but I know at least the insides of the two G4s seemed to be interechangable and the outsides look like the same size and shape completely.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Macs are a bitch to disassemble.
    The cases are all the same shell, so you won't have a problem interchanging their parts... the hard part it just getting them apart in the first place.
    "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

There is a reason I keep a obvious blonde streak

So I start reading your post . . . and then I got confused
      I use the New Post feature so I didn't catch this was under tech support
      Then I see the word apple and I am thinking granny smith, red delicious . . . not Mac, I Phone etc
      Then I was thinking did the do like pumpking carving only with an apple?
      So I opened the first link and well then I caught on. I have sent an e-mail to my favorite Apple Tech . . .I will get you any info he shares with me.

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
        the hard part it just getting them apart in the first place.
        Because the screws are in so tight or for other reasons?

Quoth Emrld View Post
        So I start reading your post . . . and then I got confused

Quoth Emrld View Post
        I have sent an e-mail to my favorite Apple Tech . . .I will get you any info he shares with me.
        Yay! Thanks!
        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
          Macs are a bitch to disassemble.
          Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
          Because the screws are in so tight or for other reasons?
          Tight screws for one, 'hidden' screws for another.... and there are just a ton of screws period.

There is also a very distinct order on how each Mac's case is to be taken apart.
          I never actually took apart my Bondi Blue or MDD when I had them, but I have taken apart my share of iBooks, iMac G3's and PowerBook G3's.

Generally, the desktops are not as much of a pain as the notebooks, but they are still a pain.

The key is to be patient... VERY patient. Don't force things apart.
          "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
            The key is to be patient... VERY patient. Don't force things apart.
            I can deal with that and on the plus side, if I need to, I can just completely demolish one of the extras to see where that hidden screw was and then propperly take it apart on the other one.

Comment

My biggest advice, be very very VERY carefull with power sources. Those machines use different power sources, from slightly modified ATX sources like the B&W and Digital Audio use, to heavily different sources like the MDD and latter models.

The PSUs won't be exchangeable between most of these devices. Some could work with a modified ATX PSU but you'll still have to use a very good quality PSU since these logic boards are VERY sensitive to power variations.

A few other tips: If you work on a quicksilver, the fourth screw that ties the CPU to the logic board, on the outside of the cpu, is also a ground conduit. If you don't have a nice screw doing a contact between the cpu and logic boad, the machine won't turn on.

Quicksilver PSUs and newer MDD PSUs use a 30Vdc standby voltage instead of 5Vdc standby, it's easy to fry the PSU or a different logic board if you connect those to the wrong board.
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Working...
              X