This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS type

How do I tell what type of Mac OS I'm running? When I look at the computer information, it tells me OS 10 but doesn't say which animal. I'm not the one that set up the computer in the first place and am new enough to Macs as it is so I have no clue which I'm running. I'm trying to set up Lady's email on the Mail program, but the outgoing server isn't working right. The person at Comcast that I talked to knew what option I needed to select, but I couldn't find that option on my version. We couldn't figure out which version I was actually running and directed me to call apple, so now I'm on hold with them but not very optimistic (and by the way, Apple has very odd hold music....).
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

On the dock, click the finder (usually it's the leftmost item, it looks like the two-toned smiley face) or click anywhere on the desktop that doesn't have any window or icon showing. Then under the menu that says finder, the top choice will be "about finder". That will give you the system version number. At least, that's what it is under system 10.5, and I expect most of the rest.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      On the dock, click the finder (usually it's the leftmost item, it looks like the two-toned smiley face) or click anywhere on the desktop that doesn't have any window or icon showing. Then under the menu that says finder, the top choice will be "about finder". That will give you the system version number. At least, that's what it is under system 10.5, and I expect most of the rest.
      Yeah that just told me OS X 10.2.8. I managed to get a hold of the guy who set the computer up. It turns out that it's simply OS 10.2 and there is no animal name attached to it though it will be being upgraded to Tiger soon. I'll have to call Comcast back and see if they can help me or not.
      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Another way (and one that is always available):

Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen. Click "About This Mac". You will be told the full system version. Most times, people only care about the first two pieces, though. So, for instance, you're running OSX 10.2.8, but for most purposes, saying you're running OSX 10.2 will tell people what you have.

Oh, and it does have a cat name. In fact, all releases of OSX have cat names.

Version 10.0 was called "Cheetah", version 10.1 was called "Puma", version 10.2 was called "Jaguar", version 10.3 was called "Panther", 10.4 was called "Tiger", and version 10.5 is called "Leopard".

Incidentally, the upcoming 10.6 will be called "Snow Leopard".

Comment

yep. i've been told by my bf that snow leopard won't be a big jump, less changes than what leopard had. i'll see... still learning all of what leopard can do.

the nice thing is, even though you're on puma, you should still be able to get Tiger to work really well, and if you're Mac is an intel-mac it should also be able to run Leopard. When my bf & I bought it, we saw a guy installing it to a G4 laptop (approx 7 years old).

But regardless of which OS you upgrade to... I'd recommend bringing the computer in to the Apple store in person (if one's available to you). They're very good about letting you upgrade right in the store, and if something happens you'll have help available right away.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            But regardless of which OS you upgrade to... I'd recommend bringing the computer in to the Apple store in person (if one's available to you). They're very good about letting you upgrade right in the store, and if something happens you'll have help available right away.
            I believe the computer will be getting upgraded to Tiger. The nice thing is my best friend is the one who built the computer and since it's his mom's, he'll probably just install it hiself. He used to be a computer tech and has had plenty of expirience.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
              Incidentally, the upcoming 10.6 will be called "Snow Leopard".
              Mmm - when will they be getting around to Lion-o?

Rapscallion, curious

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                The problem is that their CEO, Jobs-Ra, is firmly set against Lion-o. Something about always losing because of him. Fortunately, they keep him tied up in so many bandages that he doesn't do any real harm to anyone.

So, it might happen, but I would imagine the wrath of Jobs-Ra will be an amazing to behold if they do.

Comment

Thank you for all the help! Lady now has working email thanks to the nice guy at apple who not only reregistered her computer to her (since it used to belong to the school) and walked us through fixing things despite technically not having to since we didn't have a service plan.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Rapscallion, curious
                    Mac OS...Mac Os...Mac OS.....

HHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
                      The nice thing is my best friend is the one who built the computer.
                      Self built Macs are a real oddity, true they exist (I have two such frankesteins myself), so, make sure this is an original apple. Otherwise you have a Hackintosh which it would be a very very bad idea to take into an Apple store.
                      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                        Self built Macs are a real oddity, true they exist (I have two such frankesteins myself), so, make sure this is an original apple. Otherwise you have a Hackintosh which it would be a very very bad idea to take into an Apple store.
                        We got about 25-30 scrap macs and he built it from the parts there so all that parts are original apple I believe (if that's what you mean).

Comment

Working...
                        X