This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Wii

I've been hitting the overtime heavily of late, and I decided that I wanted to reward myself. I don't have a TV by choice (long story, and I don't want one), but I do have an old CRT monitor that is distinctly nice.

http://iiyama3.gingco.net/internat/h...hp3?id=LS902UT

I did some research and found that this cable should do the trick. Off to the shops scampered I this afternoon, and made a salesman's day by buying a few bits and pieces, including a minor stereo system. The cable had already arrived.

If it worked, I wouldn't be posting here, would I?

The monitor displays the following message:

"Attention - out of range H: 15.6KHz V: 49.9Hz"

A reset of the Wii later and the V is reading 50.0Hz. So, thoughts?

Aye, I've done a few resets etc. I've looked to see how to up the Wii to 60Hz, but that involves getting to see the screen. The cable may be wonky, and we're not discounting that as an option.

Rapscallion

best advice would be to take your wii to a freind who has a tv and adjust the refresh rates on that and then take it home to your monitor. or see if you can find a tv card for your pc and plug it in like that. other than that dunno
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

TV card means licence Best chum for this would be a little too far away - the refresh rate reverts if you leave it powered off for more than five minutes according to documentation.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        TV card means licence Best chum for this would be a little too far away - the refresh rate reverts if you leave it powered off for more than five minutes according to documentation.

Rapscallion
        licence? im a bit confused. i had heard there was a tax stamp but nothing about a licence. please esplain.

Comment

The "tax stamps" are actually licences, and I guess they're referred to as tv cards as well.

Raps, what he was referring to was this. Sorry I don't have any great insights to solving the problem though.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
            licence? im a bit confused. i had heard there was a tax stamp but nothing about a licence. please esplain.
            You require a TV licence for any article capabable of receiving a television signal, be it a TV, TV card or any other device.

As an interesting note if you have a Black and White TV you pay less for your licence, however if your VCR/DVD/Freeview digital kit receives (and is capable of transmitting to your TV) colour signal you have to pay full colour rates, even if your TV is B+W.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

unfortuneately the fix i have for your license issue would require a trip across the pond and a change of citizenship. or for a slightly reduced price this. i knew i had seen these somewhere just couldnt remember where. this would allow you to connect quite a bit to your monitor. im not sure if it would require a licence though, it doesnt say it has a tuner in it so im thinking not.

Comment

it doesnt say it has a tuner in it so im thinking not.
                Ummm, SteeleDragon78?

Quoth That Product You Linked
                Packaged with High Quality TV Tuner and the Best Image Processing Chip

Comment

weeeeeeel fark, though this does bring up an interesting question, can they get around the license requirement if there is no broadcast signal going through it? or am i just dreaming.
                  Last edited by SteeleDragon78; 09-23-2008, 01:17 AM.

Comment

weeeeeeel fark, though this does bring up an interesting question, can they get around the license requirement if there is no broadcast signal going through it? or am i just dreaming.
                    If it's capable of receiving you require a licence.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Okies, found out what is up by reading the manual.

*wince*

Need to set the Wii to 60Hz on a TV and then it should work on a monitor. Going to make a mercy dash to my parent's place to deal with that this morning. Hopefully should get that running before I head to work.

Rapscallion

Comment

Okies - changing to 60Hz isn't the thing. I need to change to EDTV/HDTV settings, but they're greyed out on the screen of my parent's TV. I'm using the basic connectors (composite, I believe) that come with the Wii and can't get them to display on the TV unless I use the SCART adaptor.

Can SCART display EDTV/HDTV? Can composite transfer that signal? I'm looking for reasons the setting is greyed out.

Does anyone think the basic Wii cable would work on this? It's an option under consideration.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          Does anyone think the basic Wii cable would work on this? It's an option under consideration.

Rapscallion
                          If it has the ports (and it looks like it does) then it will work.

When it comes to dealing with composite, there's two things you need to look at:

TV-mode (In your case PAL-B/G)
                          If you have the connectors (universally yellow for video, red and white for audio)

With that one, you can go with default for now and upgrade to hi-def later on as well.

You are going to have to fiddle with the sensor bar to get it to work right, but that's nothing new.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Found chum with correct connector on his TV, and it works like a charm now. Ooooh yes!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X