This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
    I think the first SC was wanting you to say "How MAY I help you?" Instead of "How CAN I help you?" without having to actually say that's what he wanted. I've had to answer phones like that and had SCs do this to me too. I usually catch the silent hint and rephrase it and they become all smug as hell and after the 2-minute superiority speech, they go on to finish the call. And I mark down another reason to find another job.
    Ha, you could actually be right there. Lord knows I've encountered that kinda crap enough times in the past. Dont word something the way the custy wants it exactly, then all hell breaks loose.

I think one of the worst ones relates to the word 'sir'.
    As you'll probably know from my posts, my habit I do actually refer to males as 'sir' on the phone.
    On the odd occassion that I just so happen to use someones name - eg 'Not a problem, thanks for that Mr Smith, Ill just take a look for you now'... they usually do respond with 'EXCUSE ME, but its SIR to you. You will address me as SIR and nothing else. I am your superior. Blah blah blah...'

Funny, isnt it. Im so used to calling men 'sir'...until they force it on me like that.
    Once it becomes a case where I am being TOLD that I MUST call someone sir...and usually for reasons as outlined above [they are my superior, allegedly]...I can't stand it and just will not do it. Ill just respond with "I'm sorry, but I have you listed as Mr Smith, as we are obligated to address all callers using their name as listed on file'

Just a funny little thing of mine I thought Id share...meh lol

Comment

Quoth tilly101 View Post
      ... You will address me as SIR and nothing else....
      There is always the mil-spec spelling available to use... (C-U-R)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OORsz2d1H7s

anyone else's mind go here instantly upon reading the title?
        A close second, but my mind immediately went here:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8

Comment

Quoth tilly101 View Post
          I think one of the worst ones relates to the word 'sir'.
          As you'll probably know from my posts, my habit I do actually refer to males as 'sir' on the phone.
          On the odd occassion that I just so happen to use someones name - eg 'Not a problem, thanks for that Mr Smith, Ill just take a look for you now'... they usually do respond with 'EXCUSE ME, but its SIR to you. You will address me as SIR and nothing else. I am your superior. Blah blah blah...'
          And then there are those who refuse to be addressed as "sir."

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            And then there are those who refuse to be addressed as "sir."
            "Don't call me 'sir!' I work for a living!"
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              "Don't call me 'sir!' I work for a living!"
              (My standard reply when encountering this at the c-store.)

"All the more reason!"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                There is always the mil-spec spelling available to use... (C-U-R)
                Just curious, but what does the mil-spec spelling stand for?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Any officur ... like my little brother, the cornhole.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    cur (n):
                    1. a mongrel dog, especially a worthless or unfriendly one.
                    2. a mean, cowardly person.

Origin:
                    1175–1225; Middle English curre, apparently shortened from curdogge. See cur dog
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Any relation to "curmudgeon"? I suspect it may be so...^_^

The "Sir" thing has definitely been thru a few threads on this board before Seems to be a regional thing (esp. in the US) -- I have encountered many who are natives from the North who get insulted at being called "Sir" or "Ma'am"...Similarly, I have encountered many natives of the South who get insulted if they are NOT referred to that way, especially when being addressed by people younger than they are.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I admit..sometimes I will say "Call me <First name>, my father is a Sir." Now that I am getting older though..guess that doesn't quite work any more.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          I admit..sometimes I will say "Call me <First name>, my father is a Sir." Now that I am getting older though..guess that doesn't quite work any more.
                          Same with "Ma'am." Unfortunately I was being addressed as such as far back as High School.

But I seem to be getting the opposite as I get older . . . if I hear "young lady" one more time . . .I think my inner bitch just may come out to play after all . . . .
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            ...I think my inner bitch just may come out to play after all ...
                            Here's your sign song: Getting In Touch With My Inner ...

Comment

Working...
                            X