This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this ... ?

The office in which I am currently doing my contract job is pretty small, and it has two four-shelf filing cabinets in it. I have utilized a cart to haul the large-box case files up there, and the cart sits between one of the filing cabinets and the door.

Today the Big Boss came in and said they will be removing that file cabinet (as soon as they figure out where to put it) so the cart can be moved over and nobody runs the risk of tripping over anything.

I'm hoping this is a positive sign ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

o__o

That shows a surprising amount of intelligence.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      o__o

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

What?? Why, LOL?
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        That shows a surprising amount of intelligence.
        Not necessarily. They probably don't want a workman's comp liability

Seriously though, the company might have finally joined the 21st century, and is keeping digital copies, and getting rid of physical files. When my firm *finally* went digital and quit keeping so much paper, the resulting pile of crap was 6 feet high I managed to fill up my car's trunk--twice--hauling it to the recycling plant. Most of the file cabinets got cut up for scrap.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Eesh. it does depend on the type of records, though. IIRC, accounting firms have to keep paper records going back at least 3 years (even if they're redundant with digital records, which they damn well better be), ditto for any business' payroll records.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's a law office ... so I doubt it will ever be 100% paperless. Or anywhere near it. They are way too fond of multiple copies of *everything* -- partly because you never know when somebody might want to see a piece of paper that was relevant back in the 1970s, and heaven forbid you no longer have it ...
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I remember people touting the "paperless office" back in the 80s -- All it did was cause people to use MORE paper, as they didn't trust these newfangled electric boxes to store their data indefinitely and securely...which, to be fair, is a valid concern even today. Even optical media is a poor long-term storage method (CD's start to die (as in, literally fall apart) as soon as 7-8 years after printing; unsure about DVDs or BR)
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I remember people touting the "paperless office" back in the 80s -- All it did was cause people to use MORE paper, as they didn't trust these newfangled electric boxes to store their data indefinitely and securely...which, to be fair, is a valid concern even today. Even optical media is a poor long-term storage method (CD's start to die (as in, literally fall apart) as soon as 7-8 years after printing; unsure about DVDs or BR)
                It's actually worse than that. The electronic copy is the 'master' now, so paper copies are disposable, printed for the duration of need, then recycled. If you need a copy at your side when not in front of the computers, you'll need to print it.

Tablets or light notebooks could alleviate this, but that costs money all at once for a depreciable asset, while paper and toner comes out of the office supplies budget.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                  It's actually worse than that. The electronic copy is the 'master' now, so paper copies are disposable, printed for the duration of need, then recycled. If you need a copy at your side when not in front of the computers, you'll need to print it.
                  For the past couple of years, I've been carefully archiving all of my hobby-related stuff. Things like track plans, kit instructions, and most of the magazines. I simply don't have the space to store that much crap. They get cut apart, dropped into the scanner, and the reassembled into the various articles. Now, I can easily carry my laptop into my workshop, and grab whatever I need to off the server upstairs. Much easier than having to dig through the stacks, and deal with multiple dusty binders.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                    I worked for a major mortgage/finance company in the mid 1990's. This is EXACTLY what they were trying to do back then. Any printed documents that back then needed a physical ink and pen signature were scanned into a computer and that became either the "master" or the backup" (they had not decided which at the time) and the physical paper documents went back into a file folder for archiving in a protected warehouse. Not surprising that a mortgage generates A LOT of paper documents over the course of its entire life.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                    X