Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I going to need to re-register every time I take a week or two away from CS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to need to re-register every time I take a week or two away from CS?

Ok, SuperDan is here for the third time. The party can now begin. *pours drinks*
    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
    My MySpace
    My LiveJournal

We've taken steps to firm up the security. Have a look at Site News.

Hopefully, it will take the buggers longer to make it awkward for us next time.

Rapscallion

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...=1367#post1367

As with life, and pretty much every website that exists, there are no guarantees.
      We cannot say for certain that someone won't find a way around the security or that something will not go wrong to cause the site to go down.

Not to sound too defensive, but rather than complain about having to re-register so often in the past few weeks, why not be gratfeul that Raps even brought the site back, and even provided a temporary home during the transition?

It's not that I am unsympathetic to those who have repeatedly lost some pretty good material, but I would think they would have their own copies of this stuff if it's so important to them, especially since one would have to have cruised the site with blinders not to have known that we are prone to hacks and trolling attempts.

On that note, welcome back Dan.
      Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2006, 05:42 AM.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Not intending to sound complaining, I just find it amusing that we get hacked seemingly every time I disappear. Thanks for your efforts at getting us more secure, Raps and the Admin team.

Yes, I just read the news posts. Interesting how the hacker managed to get that deep into the DB. Of course all the more reason to completely wipe out the entire DB and start from scratch (or back-up) if/when we get attacked again.
        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
        My MySpace
        My LiveJournal

Comment

Let's just say that three rootkits is pretty deep :/

We're more secure now, but considering I've been told that Bethesda was on Invision and got hacked recently (not checking this personally, since I trust the source and I don't have time), nobody is ever really safe. We've made it more awkward for the hackers for next time, but there will be more vulnerabilities and the like.

We'll come back.

Rapscallion
          Last edited by Rapscallion; 07-10-2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Mesa back again!

Like SuperDan, I, too, am registering for the 3rd time with the new site! All this reregistering is getting frustrating! I wish there was a way for CS to set up some really nasty ICE* surprises for the crackers** that keep messing with the site!

*ICE - Intrusion Countermeasures, sophisticated software designed to protect computers from intrusion by launching counterattacks against the intruder. In theory, a really sophisticated ICE program could be designed to be lethal to to the intruder, i.e. fry the computer of the hacker/cracker that's breaking into the system!

**Within the computer industry, hackers are actually considered to be the GOOD guys, the ones that design antivirus, antispyware/malware, and firewall software to protect systems from attack. They also do everything they can to close security loopholes in OSes like Windows. Crackers, on the other hand, are the punks that use their "skillz" to "crack" the security on a computer system and attack it. The term is derived from the word safecracker, because that's what the guys are: the modern equivalent of a safecracker, only instead of going after money, they're going after your data and personal info. Or, in the case of CS, they're cracking into your system to foul it up, out of some misguided desire for revenge. All the more reason to use ICE to turn the tables on them!
            "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
            --StanFlouride

Comment

Bethesda got hacked again today. They seem to be targeted every weekend. But they fix it for the Mod to be able to reset the hack. So within 5 mins of it getting hacked again, one of the mods fix it as soon as the post about the virus showed up.

Aye, no board is safe 100% of the time. I have yet to find a board posting forum that didn't get hacked as soon as it was popular.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance
                *ICE - Intrusion Countermeasures, sophisticated software designed to protect computers from intrusion by launching counterattacks against the intruder. In theory, a really sophisticated ICE program could be designed to be lethal to to the intruder, i.e. fry the computer of the hacker/cracker that's breaking into the system!
                Not as sophisticated as sneaking into the cracker's server/router room with a device consisting of a cable with an RJ45 connector on one end and an Edison male on the other end... who said Ethernet ports aren't supposed to withstand 110 volts?

Quoth LostMyMind
                Aye, no board is safe 100% of the time. I have yet to find a board posting forum that didn't get hacked as soon as it was popular.
                I would never consider Old Lutheran popular and we were hacked there over the winter. Nobody is immune. That's why ICE programs are great.
                My MySpace
                My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                X