This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem. Glad to help ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'll just leave this here, from Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...ugs-get-fixed/

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        "Apache debacle"?
        Microsoft, in an effort to repair Vista's bad image decided to run an advertising campaign. In this campaign they had "common people" (in quotes because it was more likely staged) try out their "incredible new prototype" Windows OS codenamed "Apache". After showcasing the positive reactions they would then say that they've been using Vista all along.

It went about as well as you might guess.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Wow, you are an optimist. I wouldn't even give it THAT long.
          It is the 29th, so I wouldn't be surprised if the complaints are already online!

And in other news, my Toshiba laptop (where I have the 10 reserved on) now has screen bleed. I'm debating whether to buy a new screen and install it myself or just get a new laptop.

Yet my old Dell Inspiron, which I am using at the moment, is still chugging along just fine. Unfortunately, it has Vista and can't upgrade to 10.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            In this campaign they had "common people" (in quotes because it was more likely staged) try out their "incredible new prototype" Windows OS codenamed "Apache". After showcasing the positive reactions they would then say that they've been using Vista all along.
            I remember that campaign. It smelled like BS to me even then.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              And in other news, my Toshiba laptop now has screen bleed.
              You don't need a tech for that - you need an exorcist!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                You don't need a tech for that - you need an exorcist!
                And I can purchase a new screen for less than $60 and install it myself. But my Mom thinks I'll fry it like what happened to my previous Toshiba laptop when I tried to put it back together with a new motherboard a decade or so ago.

I am wanting to get a new laptop anyways, so I'll just make do with it in the meanwhile. At least my old Dell is still chugging along fine.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

So windows 10 is downloading on a lappy we have so we can see what it was like but we got NO notification of a 3gb download and as my internet was running at treacle speeds I was thinking of a restart when I just looked at updates on the off chance and behold Windows 10 download at 40%.
                  Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Eek. I knew it was a background download but I figured it would at least warn you and ask "Are you ready?" first

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                      So windows 10 is downloading on a lappy we have so we can see what it was like but we got NO notification of a 3gb download and as my internet was running at treacle speeds I was thinking of a restart when I just looked at updates on the off chance and behold Windows 10 download at 40%.
                      Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Eek. I knew it was a background download but I figured it would at least warn you and ask "Are you ready?" first
                      Sounds like someone at Microsoft dropped the ball on that one. What about people who travel a lot on business, and use a laptop with either a "rocket stick" or a smartphone acting as a hotspot for their internet connection? A massive download without warning, causing either massive overage charges or (for those with "unlimited" plans) run them into the "fast" cap so they're restricted to really low speeds for the rest of the billing cycle.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Sounds like someone at Microsoft dropped the ball on that one. What about people who travel a lot on business, and use a laptop with either a "rocket stick" or a smartphone acting as a hotspot for their internet connection? A massive download without warning, causing either massive overage charges or (for those with "unlimited" plans) run them into the "fast" cap so they're restricted to really low speeds for the rest of the billing cycle.
                        Obviously thinking from all angles isn't someone strong suit there. And I wouldn't be surprised if MS starts getting tons of complaints about that and a bunch of "You better fix this or I'll sue" type threats.

Comment

Well despite the surprise download that Bardie posted about I'm liking 10 so far, seems stable and easy to use. Poked all the relevant settings to off (No you do not get my information microsoft :P ) and got it to how I like pretty quickly.
                          As soon as I start thinking
                          That I'm sensible and sane
                          The Random Hedgehog comes along
                          And fiddles with my Brain
                          (from card I got)

Comment

So

Would you recommend it?

Hated Windows ME and Vista, Windows 7 works great for me now.

The earlier Windows 3.1 and Windows XP were at work and someone else configured.

Windows 7 so far has been easy to use, just that some of the automatic stuff is too deeply buried for me to find the time to adjust.

I hated Windows 8.0 because things were buried even deeper in the OS, but in Microsoft's defense I found the more damage a function could cause to your machine (format drives for example, re-partitioning, etc) the harder to get to.

That makes sense considering some of the bonehead move I have seen others and even myself make.

Comment

Tentative yes at the moment, it has most of the best parts of 7 with some of the benefits of 8

Start menu is back, things are relatively easy to do in it for the less tech literate. I actually forced the upgrade on my main pc because I want to see how it runs with a much better powered system. This is not for everyone because you need to do some command line stuff and I know most people are not comfortable doing that. I however have a techie at my beck and call who works for kisses and cuddles

Techie boyfriend loves it after having 8 on his laptop, had a minor hiccup with a driver issue but it was easily sorted by downloading the correct ones from the companies website

Haven't found anything that doesn't work with it yet but I haven't tried some of the odder things I have on my main system yet.

So far it's been a positive experience but I'll report back with any issues I find I run into.
                              As soon as I start thinking
                              That I'm sensible and sane
                              The Random Hedgehog comes along
                              And fiddles with my Brain
                              (from card I got)

Comment

Sounds pretty cool so far. Still waiting to be notified that my download is ready (have reserved it on my Toshiba laptop.)

Comment

Working...
                                X