This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrusive Cashier

I went into the three letter drug store to buy hair remover and a callus sander. I'm a man. When I was looking for hair remover, a clerk asked if I needed help. I told her that I was looking for hair remover, and she showed me without comment. Thank you, Ms. Clerk.

However, when I went to pay for my purchase, the female cashier asked, "Getting in touch with your feminine side?" I was tempted to say, "That's none of your business, b!" but I said, "They're for my girlfriend. At least they're not tampons." That wasn't untrue by the way. They were for me, but I do it to please my girlfriend. I don't mind if the cashier is friendly, but asking personal questions like that is not acceptable. This kind of thing is the inspiration behind Adam & Eve's "Nosy Edna" commercial.

I do realize that when I tell my girlfriend, she will be really pleased. She enjoys my humiliation. When you're a man in a female led relationship, the humiliation comes with the territory.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

That wasn't a personal question, it was just rude. What does she say to someone buying anything remotely medical?

I'd complain.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Some places want their cashiers/salespeople to "connect" with customers and make small talk like that. Sounds like this particular cashier failed in that.

I too would prefer to be left alone when browsing and buying stuff, but I'm not the corporate genius pulling down six or seven figures to think up "ideas" like this.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Erm.. I don't see how anyone could think that'd be appropriate to say to a stranger.

Unless it was a young child who said it but considering child labor laws, I don't think that's possible..

Comment

I don't really mind the attempts to connect, but cashiers (and front desk clerks like me) need to keep it in the "small talk" category. That means no talking about politics, religion, or what goes on under clothing (medical or relationship-related). The weather is fine, so are light discussions of current events (like the state of traffic), and there's always my go-to topic: pets.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I'm with rude. When its something of a personal nature, no reason at all to comment on it.

Now, I've had cashiers when buying food comment, but usually to ask me if i've tried whatever it is I'm buying. Usually happens to me in Trader Joes, and if its something I haven't actually tried, but looked interesting, I have no problem with them asking me if I've tried it, or in the case of the jar of preserved lemons I bought, what I'm going to use them for! When I said I had no idea but they looked interesting, the cashier told me everyone who's bought them said the same thing!

Comment

I still think the question was intrusive. It was definitely rude.

I forgot to mention that the same cashier talked about people coming in and buying condoms. The same people would come in later and get either the morning after pill, or a pregnancy test. I find that this cashier is keeping tabs on some of their customers. I find that creepy.

Comment

Yeah, if it had been me, I'd probably have felt like saying, in Arctic frigid tones, "I really don't see how that's any of your business."

Rude question was rude.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I would have just stared.

"Your feminine side, get it?"

"It was a joke..."

"I, uh..."

"I'll just finish ringing you out."

Never say a word, just keep staring as you give her money, get change, and leave the store.

Comment

heheh naw, just give 'em the best "Gibbs" stare you can muster

but remember, ya gotta do the shoulder move at the same time for maximum effect
                    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      I would have just stared.
                      "Your feminine side, get it?"
                      "It was a joke..."
                      "I, uh..."
                      "I'll just finish ringing you out."
                      Never say a word, just keep staring as you give her money, get change, and leave the store.
                      Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                      heheh naw, just give 'em the best "Gibbs" stare you can muster

but remember, ya gotta do the shoulder move at the same time for maximum effect
                      I'll keep that in mind the next time I make another embarrassing purchase.

My girlfriend was pleased that I bought those things. She has plans for me.

Comment

I would have said, "No, it's for the cat. I want a bald kitty!" just to see her reaction.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

As a cashier i sometimes commented on purchases, but never negatively, and never on any kind of grooming or personal hygiene product.

Things like

"Oh hey, i didn't know bacon was on sale, i'll have to get some."

"Ooh, i've never tried this dessert but really want to."

"Oh hey, a new flavour of icecream, I wonder what it's like."

I like to think i was friendly but not obtrusive with my little comments. At least, no one ever complained about it so I hope i wasn't.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                            I still think the question was intrusive. It was definitely rude.

I forgot to mention that the same cashier talked about people coming in and buying condoms. The same people would come in later and get either the morning after pill, or a pregnancy test. I find that this cashier is keeping tabs on some of their customers. I find that creepy.
                            I think I might be inclined to have a word with the store manager about her if you shop there anything like regularly. Her conversational choices are unprofessional and personally rude.
                            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Okay, if I can keep my mouth shut during a transaction involving bananas, condoms, and whipped cream... that cashier can keep her mouth shut for that. Frankly, it isn't any of her business.. any more than it was mine.

Yes, it took all my willpower to just keep everything pleasant/neutral and on the topic of "Hi, find everything okay?" I think that disappointed the girl making the purchase, since she seemed to be expecting some sort of reaction, but hey, I can't please them all and apparently, neither could her "man."
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                              X