X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tria View Post
    Oh wait, it's just the Onion.
    :glaring around: Who's hating on The Onion?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth HowMayIHelpMe? View Post
      So, what did your GM ask you to do? I wasn't clear from your post about what he or she (your GM) said to you. Did he/she sound angry with you over this complaint? Were you punished in some way? I'd go after this arrogant couple for workplace harassment.

I've been in your shoes before, almost precisely the same pair of shoes, in fact. When I worked at the evil company Kinko's, I found that a lot of walk-in customers who need help with copying and editing documents could be very defensive about their knowledge and skills relating to said tasks.

I can practically picture in my head this couple who harassed you. And, I don't know about anyone else on here, but about 6 red flags went up as soon as I read that they referred to your "book smarts". Most of the people I've met who use that expression are AFRAID OF BOOKS, and, consequently, not very smart.

That couple who gave you grief (and in a cowardly fashion, I might add, since they went to your manager and didn't speak with YOU about their problem with YOU) would probably get along famously with this lady.

You have my sympathies.
      Well, first the GM made very clear that there would be no disciplinary action taken, and she is not the kind of person that just blindly takes the customer's side. In fact, after hearing from the rest of you, I wonder if maybe I did not stand up for myself like I should have. I'm so confused, I don't even know who's right; heck, I don't even know who these people are (but the GM said she did talk with them and basically defended by job style as best she could under the circumstances). I did in fact ask why they didn't just come to me about this (a truely unhappy customer typically has no trouble letting the checker know how they feel; whether it's actually the checker's fault or not is beside the point) but they replied that had they done that I would've likely gotten angry/defensive at them or something. The gist of it is that she said that it's okay to "have fun but keep it within reason" or something...

I guess the only thing I can do is to try to give this couple the benefit of the doubt, but I just have a bad feeling in my gut that this situation is more likely to get worse than better. I'm also afraid that it could end up costing me a promotion. You see, I'm in contention for the Asst. Customer Service Manager position that would pay almost double what I'm making now; and I definetly have enough seniority now to have a realistic chance (this is a union place so it's essentially most seniority wins). I just don't know what to do or what not to do...
      Last edited by Estil; 10-02-2007, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
        I'm generally smiling and trying to joke with customers --"Oh, ice cream! Off to a nice relaxing night, eh?!" type banter that usually gets a smile and a "yes!" and more banter...!
        That reminds me of something from around 5 years ago. A co-worker was in the habit of saying "have a good night" to customers during evening shifts. One time he got a very embarrassed "ok thank you" from a customer who bought some condoms, she thought he meant it in that nudge-nudge-wink-wink-say-no-more kind of way.

Comment

So let's say I do run into this couple (the woman in particular; she's the main complainer)? What, if anything, should I say or do?

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
            Well, first the GM made very clear that there would be no disciplinary action taken, and she is not the kind of person that just blindly takes the customer's side. In fact, after hearing from the rest of you, I wonder if maybe I did not stand up for myself like I should have. I'm so confused, I don't even know who's right; heck, I don't even know who these people are (but the GM said she did talk with them and basically defended by job style as best she could under the circumstances). I did in fact ask why they didn't just come to me about this (a truely unhappy customer typically has no trouble letting the checker know how they feel; whether it's actually the checker's fault or not is beside the point) but they replied that had they done that I would've likely gotten angry/defensive at them or something. The gist of it is that she said that it's okay to "have fun but keep it within reason" or something...

I guess the only thing I can do is to try to give this couple the benefit of the doubt, but I just have a bad feeling in my gut that this situation is more likely to get worse than better. I'm also afraid that it could end up costing me a promotion. You see, I'm in contention for the Asst. Customer Service Manager position that would pay almost double what I'm making now; and I definetly have enough seniority now to have a realistic chance (this is a union place so it's essentially most seniority wins). I just don't know what to do or what not to do...
            Aw, man, I PRAY you get this promotion. Then the next time that couple comes in, flash that shiny new name badge in their direction and rub in your success. It's your nice attitude that puts you in the running for such a position! Those people are just full of $(@*
            "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

I smell a rat

Quoth Estil View Post
              You see, I'm in contention for the Asst. Customer Service Manager position that would pay almost double what I'm making now; and I definetly have enough seniority now to have a realistic chance (this is a union place so it's essentially most seniority wins). I just don't know what to do or what not to do...
              I would try my best to make sure they are not related somehow or friends with who ever else may be up for the same job.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                :glaring around: Who's hating on The Onion?
                No hating on the Onion....

I um.... Just didn't....

Realize it was the Onion....

At first.... Hehe. I thought it was a real idiot.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                  So let's say I do run into this couple (the woman in particular; she's the main complainer)? What, if anything, should I say or do?
                  You should continue to perform your job to the best of your abilities, the best way you know how. If they still think you are "too friendly," well, that is their problem. Don't let them affect the way you do your job. Don't get me wrong, if you feel that there was some merit in their complaint, that sometimes you can be a pest to customers (Estil's thoughts from the OP, not mine), then of course strive to fixing that. But as for these two ass reamers? There are always going to be people who don't like you, for whatever reason. That is life. And some people are going to be miserable no matter what you do, and are merely looking for something to complain about. Don't let me get you down.

In short, fuck 'em.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

do what you normally do; don't let this 'couple's' lack of a life ruin who you are and how you do things.

you did nothing wrong; they, however, seem to have issues of some sort, which is their problem.

*fingers crossed on your promotion*

fyi: i would come off as fake if i were 'hi, how are you,' so don't worry about it; be who you are, and let the rest have the 'que sera sera' approach. it works for me.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                    X