This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser?

You would be amazed at how many people I talk to in tech support chat that don't know what a browser is. How do you get as far as tech support chat like that? I had someone insist today that his was AOL. I tried to prod him in the right direction. Cues like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome rang no bells. Nope, AOL. I think I had a time traveler.

This guy was in chat over 3 hours total today. He also felt the need to ask me if he could make his window wider. Kind of depends on how wide he's got it already. Today was migraine inducingly stupid as this guy was sadly par for the course.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Sad to say, he may have been right. There does exist a "AOL Explorer Browser".

What amazes me is that it works better (for me, at least ) than IE.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Ugh, I remember AOL. I was so much happier when they introduced just the dialer option.

Anyway, it seems a lot of people just (barely) know that they use the internet, not really how they are accessing it, unfortunately.

As for AOL working better than IE, I wish I could say I was entirely surprised. I actually cringe when I walk through the house and see all but one housemate using IE.
      Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Of course they don't know what a browser is! The number one response to my standard "Which version of the Operating System is installed?" is "Internet Explorer." Followed closely by "Word... something?"

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
          Sad to say, he may have been right. There does exist a "AOL Explorer Browser".
          Wow. I thought the scourge had been removed from the internet a long time ago. Perhaps wishful thinking? I've never met or talked to anyone that's used AOL in about a decade at least. Of course, we're still stuck with IE, but that's another rant.

Quoth tuck319 View Post
          Of course they don't know what a browser is! The number one response to my standard "Which version of the Operating System is installed?" is "Internet Explorer." Followed closely by "Word... something?"
          YES! I get that too! It's hair pulling! Some people need their computers confiscated.
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

This really makes me feel better about my lack of computer knowledge.

Also I initially read the title as "Bowser?" and I was very curious.

Comment

AOL, that's nothing. A friend of mine did tech support for WebTV back in the day. Its no coincidence he'd go thru a fifth every couple days.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I was a demo person for WebTV for a while. I gave demos of the Panasonic box at Circuit Cities.

I used to like to visit odd pages like, say, ones with lots of pictures of spiders or the like. I think I still have the sweatshirt they had me wear for that gig.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
                  I initially read the title as "Bowser?" and I was very curious.
                  That precious snowflake is in another castle.

Comment

The AOL client has its own, built-in browser based on Gecko. So he may well have been telling the truth.

Quoth tuck319 View Post

NOBODY knows what OS they're running; I know this from experience. Even the consumers smart enough to know XP from 7 aren't really sure. Save yourself the hassle. Have them read it to you from the Computer Properties. Start. Do you see "Computer" or "My Computer"? Right click, choose "Properties". Did you get a new window? Is it grey, or white? And so on.

(Btw, if Computer / My Computer isn't in Start Menu, then either a) they're running XP / Server 2003 with the legacy start menu enabled, or b) they're running something older than XP. Either way, it'll say "Windows XP", or "Windows 98 Second Edition" -- god save you -- etc, along the left side of the start menu.)
                    Last edited by roothorick; 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

actually, root, I have an easier way.

"Do you see your clock? Is the date listed right under it?"
                      Yes = Win 7.
                      No= "Is your start button a little circle on a green button?"
                      Little circle = Vista
                      Green button = XP

It's worked out pretty well so far. I've had a few "Start button?? What's that??" but it's fairly easy to get them to the right place.
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                        I've had a few "Start button?? What's that??" but it's fairly easy to get them to the right place.
                        <SIGH>

Do you realize I have users that can't run software unless there is a shortcut to it on the desktop? It was problem enough that shortcuts to all the Office programs, plus a couple of other programs we use are now setup before the user even touches the computer. Do you know how aggrivating it is to have to show someone who has used a computer everyday for three years as part of their job where the "All Programs" list is?

...and they still won't let me offer a short, voluntary "Basic Computing" training. I need more Dew.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'd believe it because.... I have the same users. It seems fewer and fewer programs are putting shortcuts on the desktop. This had led to

"I need [insert program here, like.... Word] installed on my computer."
                          "It is installed...."
                          "No, it's not."
                          "Um....." opens up All Programs, "Here it is."
                          "Oh."

It's even worse when I have a work order to install a program that's installed on our image, because that means that AAFH (Admin Asst from Hell) took the work order, and even though she knows it should be installed, didn't think to VERIFY anything...

And, as an added bonus, my handy dandy way to get people to find the start button (well, unless they've accidentally moved the taskbar...)

"Okay, put your finger on the middle of the monitor. Yes, the TV looking part. Now, move your finger to the left, until it hits the edge of the screen. Yes, YOUR left. What? Um, no, the other left. AWAY from the clock. Okay. Now, move your finger straight down until it hits the bottom. THAT is your start button!"
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            <SIGH>

Do you realize I have users that can't run software unless there is a shortcut to it on the desktop?
                            Shoot, most people I run across can't find a document unless they have it on their desktop.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                              Shoot, most people I run across can't find a document unless they have it on their desktop.
                              Oh, I have that too. The special ones are the users who only access the documents through the recently opened list in the program, then 'lose' them when they drop off that, or it resets for some reason.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X