Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What they said doesn't surprise me....

....But it sure did take my faith in humanity down a notch.

"My TV says no signal."

That's what the client's TV said. He had one of the store's house brand TV's, in other words a flaming hunk of crap. But that's for another topic.

I tried running the running the channel scan, reseated the connection, made sure the TV was set to the right input.... no dice.

I was almost ready to declare a hardware issue when the customer then asked me:

SC: "This cable was there from the previous owner of this house. I don't actually subscribe to cable. Think I need to?"

I told him yes, he needs to. Or if he doesn't want to pay get an over the air antenna. My co-worker thinks the guy was trying to steal cable service and was deflated when he realized he couldn't. I think she was right.

I'm using another person's network, part 1.

SC called in because he couldn't get online. Turns out, he was leeching off someone else's connection.

Me: Due to legal reasons, we can't assist you if you are using someone else's wifi. You will need to get your own ISP and router setup.

SC: Why the hell not?

Me: Because what you're doing is called Wifi leeching, it's essentially the same as stealing cable in the sense you're using something you're not paying for. Many states want to make this illegal in fact.

SC: You're calling me a thief?!

Me: Thinking: yes. Well no but as it stands if you want us to help you, you will need to get your own service and router.

SC: You're not helpful....

*Click.*

I'm using another person's network, part 2.

Another moron who turned out to be using someone else's wifi. I tell him the same thing that I told the guy in the story above.

So they guy asked....

SC: But I know the guy! How 'bout I give you his number and you can call him to get this issue resolved?

Me: I can't do that.

SC: Why not?

Me: Because as I said before, once I find out you're using someone else's network we can't assist. It's a legal issue as I pointed out before.

SC: Fine whatever....

*Click.*

Some IT guy you have there....

SC: I want to cancel your software because I am using [software with the same initials as California].

Me: *While surfing to the window to cancel our software.* Just one thing, once your subscription to [software with the same initials as California] runs out, it might be best to go with something else. That program is overused by so many people that malware just blows right past it and it slows things down to a crawl: Every time I see a computer with it, I have to uninstall it to get the computer to run like it should instead of like a 486.

SC: Well my IT guy recommended it. I think my IT guy would know more about this than a front-line rep like you!

Me: Okay sir I just canceled the software, here's your case number have a good day.

*Click.*

Bonus: I bet this galls the hell out of MalwareBytes.

One of the new versions of our security software that we support through the store-licensed program asks you to uninstall MalwareBytes Anti-Malware before it can be installed. Don't see how, as the freeware version of MBAM doesn't have a real-time scanner. I just let customers know that I am uninstalling to pacify the software and to reinstall it when the install of our software is complete, just don't run them at the same time.

Uggggghhhhhhhhh.......

My brother's "fiance" (she might be losing her title soon... :: crosses fingers :: ) called and said she needed me to set up her printer, and she couldn't get online anymore.

So, I went over. I knew going in that she was using my parents' wireless. There is a house in between my parents' house and my brother's house. I went "ehhhhhhhhh..." but figured I'd see what I could do. I had changed to WPA security, so I had to reconfigure her wireless connection anyways.

Sure enough, when I got over, she had a connection speed of 1 mbps. No interwebz. In an attempt to keep her from re-connecting to a random SSID that was unsecured, I went back to the parentals and moved the access point to the bedroom that was closest to my brother's house. That helped a little, but she couldn't get a consistent connection.

So, I told her that the only options she had was A: PAY FOR HER INTERNET!! B: Get my parents to upgrade to a stronger N router. C: Try an external wireless antenna.

So, then she says, "Can you turn on the wireless on my printer?" I said sure.

I pulled out the printer. First off, it didn't have any icons on it that suggested wireless. So I managed to maneuver the printer and laptop into position to plug in her really short USB cable. So I connect the printer, and start poking around the settings. Um...

"Does this printer HAVE wireless?"
    "I dunno. It's pretty old."
    ::

So, I had to run back later and give her a USB extension cable I had in my bag.

LATER, I found out that that night, she and my brother got into a huge fight. Apparently, my inability to HACK into a WPA2 secured WAP so she could have free internet really pissed her off. And, yes, she TOTALLY expects my parents to drop $70 to $100 on a router that she MIGHT have a better chance to connect to. I've been commanded by my Mom not to touch "fiance"'s computer again.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
      Sure enough, when I got over, she had a connection speed of 1 mbps.
      I'm misunderstanding something. A speed of 1mbps is about 2/3 of a T1 line, and that's still a fairly decent speed (small to medium sized companies that are well-run can get away with only one or two of those).

So, with what you're saying, she should have gotten decent speeds. What am I misunderstanding?

Comment

I'm probably using wrong terminology. I know I totally confused the server admin with this one day while working with a student.

Actually yes. When I said connection speed, I meant signal quality. Opps. On campus, most students are getting 54mbps. (Or is it 51??? ehhh, doesn't matter). So, I figure 1mbps in this case is BAD.

Comment

I use Verizon.

I get 1.5mbps down and 0.44mbps up. No wireless involved.

Comment

TA,
            You were right the first time - mbps (megabits per second) references connection speed. However, in the context you saw it (I'm assuming a Windows Start Bar icon?) it's an indicator of what wireless protocol the router is using. 54mbps means that it is an 802.11g network. This doesn't mean thats the speed you'll actually get, just the theoretical maximum for that type of network. See: 802.11g on wikipedia. The fact that windows does this irks me. Its inaccurate and just as much gibberish to a non-technical user as saying "connected to an 802.11g network".
            That said, I have no idea what windows mans when it says a computer has a connection speed of 1mbps. Ah, never mind. Found it: Legacy Mode 802.11 on wikipedia. I would guess that this is either some windows default for networks it doesn't know or cannot connect to or whoever she is trying to leech from is running really old hardware. Probably the former.

Pedersen,
            My home FiOS connection is 5/3 mbps and cheaper than a T1. And I believe this is the lowest speed offered. I agree, a T1 is great for a business which has (relatively) low bandwidth demands, but I see home connections moving in this direction as streaming video becomes more and more popular.

sld72382,
            I feel your pain on IT professionals who make bad recommendations. My boss is occasionally one.

Pitchpole

Comment

This is what I was referring to.

Pitch, it is a decent router. I picked it out myself. It probably is a case of being too far away from the WAP. IT did bump up to 18mbps when I moved the router closer to my brother's house.

Comment

TA,
                I haven't worked heavily with Windows 7/Vista or xp for the three or so years before Vista came out, so my memory may be a bit rusty.
                Actually, yes, it must be, because I can't find anything in the 802.11x range that gives that speed. Please ignore my earlier comment, I was mistaken.

Pitchpole

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                  Bonus: I bet this galls the hell out of MalwareBytes.

One of the new versions of our security software that we support through the store-licensed program asks you to uninstall MalwareBytes Anti-Malware before it can be installed. Don't see how, as the freeware version of MBAM doesn't have a real-time scanner. I just let customers know that I am uninstalling to pacify the software and to reinstall it when the install of our software is complete, just don't run them at the same time.
                  Please don't take this the wrong way, but it really doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy feelings when a new program asks you to uninstall anti-malware programs.

Comment

Just FWIW, "mbps" means milli-bits per second. Mbps is probably what you meant.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                      Please don't take this the wrong way, but it really doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy feelings when a new program asks you to uninstall anti-malware programs.
                      The kicker is that MB itself said that it works fine with said software (which starts with a T and the newest version is named after a metal). Which leads me to believe that T is just afraid of MBAM being "unfair competition."

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                        The kicker is that MB itself said that it works fine with said software (which starts with a T and the newest version is named after a metal). Which leads me to believe that T is just afraid of MBAM being "unfair competition."
                        Edited to reflect a more likely truth.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                        X