This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Punchy darkens my doorstep yet again

Tonight was looking like it would be a fairly quiet night. I'm working tonight and tomorrow night as overtime since I'm covering some shifts this week, but things looked like they would be calm and relaxing on the graveyard shift, so I was in a good mood about it. About 11:45pm, things started going downhill though.

First, a man came in...he walked by fast, but it looked like his forehead was bleeding. I tried to talk to him, but he just popped in the elevator and vanished into the night, so I shrugged and said "Whatever." A couple other people, including a nicer older lady come back in, and things seem normal. The lady is important, however.

I get a call from a room to start things off: it's a fight, but no one's on the phone. I can't tell if it's real though; several times I think I hear someone breaking into the phone, but there are 2 people registered in the room, and they both sound distant. The fight between them almost sounds recorded, but it's just yelling. Just in case, I listen in on the phone for a while in case things get physical, but eventually the call hangs up. To be sure, I go up to the room and listen outside for a while, but everything is quiet inside, so I have to leave after a few minutes to go back to the front desk.

10 minutes later, the older lady I saw before comes down...her face is red (obviously punched), she has a nice cut on her lip, and I can see blood on her shift sleeve. She wants a new room, which I get her (I comped it afterward, but wanted to get her up to that room before the guy came looking for her). Naturally, it was the woman who was in the room that called before...guess that fight was real. Dammit.

Now, I repeatedly tried to get her to let me call the cops, she kept saying no. I didn't mention that my asking was merely a formality, and the second she's in her room, I have the cops on the line; they head out immediately. While they try to check on her, I see the guy I saw before, and this time I can clearly see his forehead is bleeding...I try to stall him, but he leaves, so I call the police dispatch again. Before I'm even off the phone, they're downstairs, out the door, and they manage to catch him before he can leave.

It takes a while, but we finally manage to get his wife talking to the cops, and she...naturally...says she can't remember how she got hurt, and refuses to say anything against him.

For anyone who's neither seen, nor dealt with a domestic abuse case, this is all too common where the abused person won't want to report the person hurting them. It also sucks because no report means no charge: the guy will spend the night getting his head fixed away from the hotel, and she's in a different room, but odds are she will go back home with the guy and get beaten again sometime in the future. This sucks, but there's nothing I can do...at least we tried to get her to do the smart thing, but I really didn't need this.

The kicker? They were scheduled to stay tomorrow night too...which means I could have to do this again tomorrow night. /sigh

I can't understand either part of this though...both my partner and I are pretty clear on the fact that, if one of us really hit the other, that would be it. Done. Over. 6+ years down the tubes. How people can get the crap beaten out of them and STAY is beyond me...no matter how many times I've seen it.

Edit: Husband came back from getting himself patched up and is trying to find his wife, who is not registered under her real name at all. He's calling claiming to be his wife's brother, but naturally hangs up when I mention that I don't have his wife registered. It doesn't help that I really want to punch the guy in his damn face all over again out of principle...
    Last edited by KhirasHY; 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

again sometime in the future
    Sometimes also as revenge for having the cops involved.

Comment

It gets better...the husband was in and out this morning, so I had to see him a lot. He talked to several people...the whole time acting like nothing had happened, like everything in the world was normal. Every time I saw him smile, I wanted to knock his damn teeth out...grr.

Time to go to bed. Hatehatehatehatehatehatehate...

Comment

Makes me happy a friend of my daughters (DF) actually listened to me while they were growing up. I always told the kids, 'You don't hit, unless actually defending yourself or someone helpless, and if your boyfriend or whoever hits you, don't stay with them. It is going to get worse. get out.' I also talked about the way most abusers ensure you stop seeing friends ect.
        DF got in with a guy,who quickly started separating her from her friends. lies about how my daughter and I were insulting him and laughing about him on the bus (we hadn't even seen him if he was on it), ect. I told her mother I was worried, but her mom was delighted with him, as he had arranged for them to temp live in his parents summer home while they looked for an apt.
        about a year later, DF came to see me. Told me he punched her during an argument, and slammed out of their apt. And she could hear my voice saying 'DF get the hell out of there. You know it wont change' So she went straight to the cops. And found he had beat his two previous girlfriends so bad one was hospitalized.
        so take heart. Sometimes they listen. Some get out in time.

Comment

One of the reasons people don't leave abusive relationships is because they're afraid that the abuser will kill them (or at least beat them worse than usual) if they try to leave, or if they cooperate with the police. Sometimes it's just a no-win situation.
          It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

Teskeria - I'm glad DF got out in time o_O

Foxfire - I would imagine that the sorts of ...people... who do this are likely to encourage such beliefs in their victims.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
              One of the reasons people don't leave abusive relationships is because they're afraid that the abuser will kill them (or at least beat them worse than usual) if they try to leave, or if they cooperate with the police. Sometimes it's just a no-win situation.
              Solution: Bouncers with sledge hammers!

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
                This is, unfortunately, true. The most dangerous time for an abused spouse is immediately after leaving the abuser. Doesn't mean they shouldn't leave, but they need an exit plan, somewhere to go, etc.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And a bouncer with a sledge hammer.

The thing that always pisses me off about these guys is that, 9 times out of 10, they are cowards. They have no problem beating on someone who they've conditioned to fear them, but if someone squares off with them and fights back, they curl up in a ball. May they all be awoken by the sensation of boiling bacon grease being poured directly onto their crotches.

What? I'm not a friendly guy sometimes.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                    How people can get the crap beaten out of them and STAY is beyond me...no matter how many times I've seen it.
                    Why Doesn't She Just Leave?

^that's why, I knew the girl in the story.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Unfortunately, people in an abusive relationship were abused as children and are conditioned not to fight back or tell on their abusers. I know a woman who had an abusive husband, left him for someone who abused her, then finally got therapy and got into non-abusive relationships. Often, "why don't they just leave" is answered by "because that's how they've been programmed".

Comment

How about we get bouncers with angry dobermans strapped to their arms instead then?

I'm really seeing this as a workable solution...

Comment

Khiras -- You knew this was coming.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                            How people can get the crap beaten out of them and STAY is beyond me...no matter how many times I've seen it.
                            Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            Why Doesn't She Just Leave?

^that's why, I knew the girl in the story.
                            It's Stockholm Syndrome.

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                            How about we get bouncers with angry dobermans strapped to their arms instead then?

I'm really seeing this as a workable solution...
                            Am I the only one picturing Merle from "Walking Dead"?
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth dog_mu View Post
                              Unfortunately, people in an abusive relationship were abused as children and are conditioned not to fight back or tell on their abusers. I know a woman who had an abusive husband, left him for someone who abused her, then finally got therapy and got into non-abusive relationships. Often, "why don't they just leave" is answered by "because that's how they've been programmed".
                              Not necessarily, the abuser can erode the confidence of even the most strong-willed person.

However, that's all I will say. Don't get OP's thread locked, guys, even if the punishment may be deserved.
                              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X