Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Management and all that entails.

I used to manage an SRO Hotel (Single Resident Occupancy, basically a long term hotel) for people who werent exactly doing so well in life (ie, on welfare, mental disabilities, etc). I have had many weird and wonderful people who lived in the building including the maintenance woman who was severely bipolar who would on a daily basis work all chipper and happy but then spend the next hour crying on my shoulder in the break room.

This story however is about Jack, Jack is someone we have wanted to evict from the hotel (and trust me, that is not something we do often) for various reasons including bringing prostitutes in at all hours of the night, giving them his room key (a BIG no no), not paying his rent on time, dealing drugs out of his room, and this is just some of the things. One day I tell him that he needs to stop giving his "girlfriends" his room key as they are not allowed up when he is not at home.

Me: Sorry Jack but you cannot do that anymore, it is a security risk as we do not trust them at all.
    Jack: You cannot do this, I know my rights as a tenant of this building, I can have as many guests up as I like and they can stay as long as they like when I am not there.
    Me: Jack, there really is not anything in the RTA (residential tenancy act) that says that.
    Jack: BS
    Me: *Now I get to pull out the big guns, WOOOHOOO* Here is the RTA, show me where it says that.
    Jack: F*ck you man, if you were my father, I would kill you.
    Me: *now I can get him evicted for uttering death threats, awesome!* Sorry Jack but it is not going to work.
    Jack: *walks away muttering under his breath at me*

I talked to my boss the next day and in that awesome tradition of all Jellyfish Managers everywhere, the boss backed Jack up.

I can tell you that I did not stay with that company for much longer after that.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Jack sucked, and so did your manager.

We've had guests threaten staff here before. They were immediately gone. No ifs, ands, or buts. Pack up your crap and leave in 15 minutes, or else in 16 minutes the cops will be here to help you finish moving out.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Your boss wouldn't back you after a death threat?! Yeah, I don't blame you for leaving.

Hopefully Jack got what was coming to him.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Spineless in the face of a death threat is a new level of spineless that I'm not sure they even have a word for yet
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

The only thing the boss should have said when you reported that incident was "Hand me the phone. I'm calling 9-1-1." o_O
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Let me get this straight: Jack gives you a ground for immediate eviction on a platter and your boss effectively says just go along with it. Don't tell me, the manager was one of Jack's drug custys....that would explain a lot.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
            X