Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Would you pay to access social media?
Yes 0 0%
No 18 75.00%
Depends on the Cost 3 12.50%
I don't know 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Assistant Manager

The thing is, FB and their kin have normalized the idea that they get to attach advertisements to your conversations and other content, and you don't get to do anything about it. Remember, "if you're not paying for a service, you're not the customer, you're the product". And more, Facebook has developed ways to lean on people, like demanding membership before you can comment on any number of their most popular pages. Not being a member, I don't know exactly how they pressure people to limit a forum to FB members, but I'm quite sure they do have ways to do so.

If you are paying, that sets up reciprocal obligations, like a real community. Now, the "owner" of a forum like this one is intrinsically a despot -- the technology supports their power. But if they abuse that power, people can walk away. If the people are financially supporting the site, then when they walk away, and the owner goes from making a profit (or at least covering costs) to losing their shirt. But a social media site isn't supported by the members, it's supported by the advertisers. And more members are easy to come by.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM
The cat who could drive a car!

Upgrade to CS gold™ for my answer.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth notalwaysright View Post
So, would I pay $1 or so for this site? Yes. For most or all other social media? Absolutely not. I have no interest in giving personal information out to social media, secured or not.
So I get what you're saying. But this is a "discussion forum" style site. If there was something that was more "Facebook" style (let's call it Facebook light), but you could remain anonymous like you are here, would you pay for that?

Of course, there are obstacles there, too. You don't really want kids on the site (i.e. under 13), and those kinds of things, but I get the anonymous aspect.