No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're into forgotten starlets then check out Louise Brooks who had a huge hit with the 1928 film Pandora's Box and then disappeared off into obscurity.OMD did a wonderful homage to her in their single Pandora's Box.
    Me I'm reading They Shook Hands by Dethryl. Classic HP fanfic that starts off as an amusing isn't everything different with a Slytherin!Harry but soon just like the original HP becomes darker when Voldy turns up and Slytherins have to decide which is more important-house or school loyalty.Plus it's the first story which has managed to make me cry when they kill off someone...��
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I also read with my son who is 8 and we're reading Rick Riordan's series Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard. We,'re both enjoying it, it's really funny but also heartfelt. My son has read Percy Jackson and the other Greek series but this is my first and I can see why he's do popular. I'm also pleased with how diverse and inclusive his cast of characters is and how he tacjles matters like religion that can be kind of thorny.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I just got Magnus Chade and the Gods of Asgard: The Ship of the Dead AnaKhouri. I love Riordan, the books he writes are approachable to all ages, and he doesn't shy away from charcters from all kinds of back grounds, military brats, kids from abusive families, kids with learning disorders, kids with actual disabilities, and he has had some great representations of LGBT kids. Niko was relatable and lovable in his own way/

Comment

We are just beginning the second book. The transgender character took me by surprise but I think I did okay explaining it to a third-grader!

Comment

I finished The Gods Themselves. As mentioned upthread, it does NOT stand the test of time.

I started reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller today. If the rest of the book is as hilarious as the first chapter, I'm going to love it!
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Booth Tarkington Penrod, Penrod and Sam, Seventeen.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That name rings a bell...I want to say The Magnificent Ambersons?
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  I started reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller today. If the rest of the book is as hilarious as the first chapter, I'm going to love it!
                  I read that back in the early 70s. It is hilarious all the way through, [spoiler] with a bit of gruesomeness. [alert]
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I found a book on my shelves that I sort of remember buying a number of years ago, but I didn't remember reading. "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. So I picked it up and it was my bedtime reading for a while.

I either hadn't read it before, or it didn't leave any impression. I enjoyed it, though it seemed a little off-kilter in some ways.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

kellyclark- Tom Robb Smith's Child 44 is excellent. It's set in the Soviet Union during the waning days if Stalin's reign so you can imagine the paranoia.

Reading Wychwood by George Mann. Fun, quick mystery, probably not something I will remember though.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                        We are just beginning the second book. The transgender character took me by surprise but I think I did okay explaining it to a third-grader!
                        Gender fluid, though to be fair that's on the gender identity spectrum right in the middle.
                        What i really love is the series honest look a adolescent homelessness, what these children struggle and why they may wind up in that situation. Even the dangers these vulnerable children face, with out having to make his characters active and dramatically victims.

Comment

The book said she was both IIRC, though the genderfluid part hasn't come up yet as she's always presented as female so far (I guess you can be both. It seems very complicated). I assume at some point she'll tell people she's male (she told the main character she's a girl unless she tells them otherwise) so I'll try to explain that when it comes up. Rick Riordan doesn't shy away from anything, which is nice! It's a good opening to talk about stuff I wouldn't normally think to bring up as it's so far from my own experience. Kids are great though, he's just like, "Oh, okay. Whatever."

Comment

Currently reading "Southern Gods" by John Hornor Jacobs. Set in 1950s Alabama, it starts off like a detective novel (guy gets hired to find someone) but turns into eldritch horror, because as a side job for his client, the 'detective' agrees to find a blues musician named Ramblin' John Hastur. The gumshoe finds out that Ramblin' John's music can trigger violent rage in people, as well as raise the dead. Not to mention there's a reference to the Necronomicon thrown in for good measure.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That sounds interesting! I'll put it on my list. Have you read Matt Ruff's Lovecraft Country? Sort of the same idea.

Finished Wychwood. I found Fred Saberhagen's The Frankenstein Papers while packing up some books for the move so that's my current read.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                                That sounds interesting! I'll put it on my list. Have you read Matt Ruff's Lovecraft Country? Sort of the same idea.
                                I have quite a backlog of books to get through so I might just add that one to my wish list. The past few years, with only a handful of exceptions (new Dresden Files, Discworld, or Girl Genius novels), if I saw a book I thought was interesting at the bookstore, I'd snap a pic of the cover, and later would just add the title/author to my wish list. Then family can get me a copy of the book for my birthday or Christmas. Presently I have at least one bookshelf full of books I've gotten but haven't read yet.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X