This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not to self: in future, let them fire you

I've just been advised that being fired -- apparently even FOR cause -- makes it easier to collect unemployment than if you quit.

NOW I find this out.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That's why they try to get people to quit rather than fire them.

Comment

And, as I found out, "not all causes are created equal" when brought to the board.

Comment

If they make you quit, then you have a case for "constructive dismissal". Should be equivalent to being fired.

(Though we all know that "should be" often doesn't equal "is".)
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Aye. Quitting may actually disqualify you.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can't say for sure about US law, but here in the UK quitting is seen as your choice, and as such they refer you to the old proverb "you made this bed, now lie in it." You can become eligible for assistance eventually if you're out of work for long enough, and there's also grounds to appeal for constructive dismissal, but the basic belief is that if you quit then you need to handle the fallout on your own.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

DUH... you quit so it's on you 99% of the time.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Rosco; I quit because there was a 99% likelihood that I would be fired in the very near future anyway, and I felt that I'd rather jump than be pushed. The chances that I would have been able to improve my performance in the time given to me was extremely unlikely. I was under the mistaken impression that quitting OR being fired for cause would be equally damaging to my chances of collecting unemployment, so it really didn't matter.

However, in future, if I am having problems on the job, I will definitely let them do the pushing.

Nunavut Pants, no they definitely did not make me quit. There was no toxic work environment or anything else of that sort (aside from one bitch of a coworker, but hers was not so much an organized attempt to make my life miserable as just her being a natural-born bitch).
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In Oz, it doesn't make too much difference if you quit or get fired. The claim process can take 6 or more weeks before the first unemployment payment comes through.

If you are fired, it can then be paid back to when you first made contact with Centrelink. So start the process that day, or the next if it's after Centrelink closing time. And make your boss/hr give you the separation certificate that day or with your final pay. (You can apply without this, but it makes life so much easier because it has your final pay broken down to pay, sick leave, holiday leave, etc all separated out.)

If you quit, you can still start the unemployment process that day or the next day. But they won't back pay unless there is exceptional circumstances. For example, I quit because of a toxic work place. If the Centrelink staff member hadn't given me bullshit info about lodging, going overseas for 5 weeks, then continuing the process when I came back, I would have be paid from the date I quit. If I hadn't gone for my pre-paid for holiday, it would have been a lot easier.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Presumably Pix knows the rules for their locale. (If not, Pix, research it!!) I know that in California, it doesn't make one tiny bit of difference why you no longer work, you still can claim Unemployment benefits. In fact, you can even be grossly negligent and incompetent, and still get benefits.

I had a run-in with the system after my second job (ever!!) fell apart, and the company decided to be ***holes about it.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Nunavut Pants: I've been through the unemployment process before but this is the first time I've had this particular mixture of circumstances (let go from one job due to lack of work, quit a second job). I've tried doing some research but I might be using the wrong keywords or something ... I can't find anything that covers that particular situation.

However, I have started the process; I have the Record of Employment from my office job and am still awaiting my RoE from The Mothership (if it doesn't show up this week I will email them and ask). Will get those in ASAP and just let it go from there.

I have started training for a new job, and am under consideration for yet another job (I will either hear from them -- or not -- this week) so the situation isn't particularly desperate, although even a small amount of unemployment would be helpful.

I'm thinking now I should've just thrown a cup of coffee at somebody and let them fire me. Heaven knows I was frustrated and stressed enough.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                      X