This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about the weaker sexer comment
    and for the society tells us boys will be boys thing (which is what i ment, i was half out of it when i typed, i was channeling my psych book
    what does this research show? Are they stereotypes of males and females accurate? Well, the findings are a mixed bad. The research indicates that genuine behavioral differences do exist between the sexes and that people's stereotypes are not entirely inaccurate (Eagly, 1995; Swim, 1994). But the differences are few in number, smaller in size, and far more complex than sterotypes suggest.
    -snip book stuff-
    In regard to social behavior and personality, males tend to be more aggressive than females, both verbally and physically. However, it is worth noting that femalea engage in more covert and relation aggression.
    -snip-
    Inregard to personality, the disparities are small but males score a little higher on measures of assertiveness and global self-esteem.
    That was i ment sofar, i didn't mean to seem insensitive or mean, or stupid. I ment that the Sterotypes where wrong.... i should have constructed the thought better.
    Sorry sorry sorry

(all from Psychology themes and variations sixth edition, wayne weiten)
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 06-12-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
      Sad how the kid who actually needs the ADD meds didn't get it, but thousands of other normal children who don't actually have ADD get too much just because parents are tired of dealing with them.
      It's insane how some kids are medicated. We have quite a few on several different antidepressants at once, plus clonidine (blood pressure med also used for a calming effect) plus ritalin/adderall/concerta or a combo of those, and in the case of some kids, lithium, anti-psychotics, etc.
      It gets a wee bit nutty sometimes.

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
      This reminded me of part of a South Park episode.....
      heh heh heh...the DDR kid is my favorite out of that whole episode

Comment

I always think that women can be more aggressive than men, due to female animals being aggressive to protect their young; maybe that also comes out in women, too. XD

I was a tomboy as a kid; I played football, I had toy cars and cap guns, I spent playtime at school chasing girls with worms and flicking pillbugs at them, I screamed bloody murder when my mum tried to put me in a dress.

However, today I wear makeup, wear skirts and dresses and high heels, and I adore girly nights out and spas. True, I also like computer games and occasionally like to do bloke things, but seeing as when I was 10 my mum despaired of ever getting a daughter who'd be happy wearing a dress and doing girly things with her, that's pretty good. XD
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Let's clarify this one real fast...

Females and males DO have inherent differences, mentally, physically, and emotionally. Males, for instance, will never have an instinctual drive to breastfeed. This, my friends, is obvious.

Fact is, due to the very nature of our physical design, we've got different instincts in play. Instinctively, females want to have babies, nurture them, care for them, care for the nest, and attract males to that end.

Males, instinctively, are designed to protect the female, get her pregnant and generally, instinctively want to get lots of females pregnant, and outclass other males so he can have the females.

These instincts show themselves in different ways because, guess what... we're sentient creatures and are no longer bound by instinct, thus, instincts show up in different ways, twisted by an intelligent mind.

Because of this batch of instincts, different hormones, and stuff, females and males WILL react differently to the same stimuli. Not all females react the same, not all males react the same, and sometimes the roles are kinda reversed... but that applies to the population, on average.

Mind you, these distinctions are much less extreme than society makes them out to be. And also, because we are intelligent creatures, we don't have to listen to our instincts. The over-protective, jealous boyfriend who will beat the hell out of any male friends you have... he's really failing the whole using his intellect thing. We don't need primate males anymore.

Because these distinctions exist, society has taken the averages, made them a bit more extreme, and assumes Everyone meets that mould. So, people like me who aren't so average (me being one of those burning-barbie-dolls girls because I thought bubbling plastic looked interesting), we find the society and it's expectations to be ludicrous and generally a pain in the @$$

Best thing to do, is guide children to focus more on logical thinking, have them reading and playing more mind oriented games, like RPGs instead of sports games. Merely by using their mind and logic more often, they should second guess their instincts more. Not that their instincts are bad, but taken to certain extremes... like the violent, over protective, jealous boyfriend mentioned earlier... those instincts can be devastating.

There's my 2 cents.

Khana

Comment

Working...
          X