Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What, I'm stood here for the benefit of my health?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What, I'm stood here for the benefit of my health?!

A recent post about a camera store reminded me of a story from my last job involving my husband S (we met there).

I know some people will probably say it's wrong, but that's just it - what do you think? I'm curious.

Our PC store had a camera counter. Usually only one person stood at the camera counter because it wasn't hectic-busy all the time, but did get plenty of customers.

Sometimes we'd get people who'd come in to just test out cameras too see which ones they like, which was perfectly fine (I'd show them the difference between the various models and give them as much info as possible).

Once it was really busy (around Christmas time) and there were quite a few people looking at the cameras (they were all on display and alarmed, so someone had to be serving you to test them out with you.)

S was approached by a couple who said: 'Oh, we're not buying the camera here, we've seen it cheaper in Jessops. We'd like to try it out though.'

S: 'I'm afraid not.'
    Customer: *shocked* 'Why?'
    S: 'Well you've just told me you're not buying the camera here. So I'm afraid it's inconvenient for me to show you the camera when theres a queue behind you.'
    Customer: 'But we want to try it out. You can't say no.'
    S: 'I can. You're buying the camera at Jessops, you're not going to buy it here, and the time I spend here with you could be spent with someone else waiting behind you, who are probably looking to purchase from this store.'
    Customer: 'That's not right, we were waiting here.'
    S: 'It IS right - you've just told me you're not buying from here so it'd frankly be wasting my time and that of other customers. Why don't you try it out at Jessops? They give demonstrations there too.'

Eventually they just sighed and S quickly explained the reasons why. I would have done the same thing. Basically because:

1. They came in and told us straight away they weren't buying it from us. Not 'we MIGHT buy it here'. Not 'we're considering buying from here but might go to Jessops'. They said, 'We're not buying it here as it's cheaper elsewhere.'
    2. In December, the store is VERY busy. So much so that sometimes there are queues to see salespeople. With the camera counter, the salesperson can only deal with one customer at a time (alarms, danger of stealing etc). Normally a customer will like to try out cameras, ask for info, buy a package - so usually it takes 5-10 minutes per customer, often more. Spending this time with a customer who is not buying from us is not fair on those waiting behind who ARE going to buy from us.

S told the manager and the manager said he was right in declining.

Personally, I would NEVER go into a store and say, 'Oh, I want to use up ten minutes of your time but hey, I'm not going to buy from you.' I know that people like to test things out and do a bit of research, we all do, but for God's sake don't admit it.

Unless of course, they wanted S to beg and plead and cling to their feet in the hope they bought from our store. If that's the case, they lost out.

What are your opinions? Was he right to say 'no'?

Of course he had the right to say no. They admitted they weren't going to buy anything, so why waste his time? Why were they even at the store instead of Jeepo's (or whatever it was) that's what I would like to know.
    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Following the saying 'Time is Money', he was well within his rights to decline. The store is in essence losing money, because they have to pay him to sit there and babysit people who have clearly stated they have no intention to buy, thus there is no compensation for the time. I would have laughed in their face.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Nothing wrong with what he did, and everything wrong with what the so-called customers tried to do. I say "so-called", because they're not customers if they don't actually buy anything. It certainly wouldn't have been fair to the real customers who were actually looking to buy.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Good for S for telling them no. He was absolutely in the right, IMO.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If you are in a store to buy, you are a customer.

If you are in a store to maybe buy or not you are a potential customer.

If you are in a store and you know you are not going to buy, you are a loiterer.

If you are in a store making a nuisance of yourself, you are a trespasser.

Comment

Heh - reminds me of the time someone phoned up asking for a catalogue, since they bought our gear from another wholesaler (one we supply with our brand products) and wanted to know the discount we had on promotional products to get it off their supplier.

Rapscallion

Comment

I suspect they made that announcement in order to short-cut S possibly trying to give them a hard-sell. Of course, in this case, it backfired, and good for S for sticking to his guns.

Comment

At our hotel we have people to come and check out the rooms before making a reservation. Normally I don't mind except this one day this moron couple made me show them 5 different rooms and asked a ton of questions. Imagine my disgust when they proceeded to tell me they always stay at another hotel and that is the only they recommend to other people. Why did they want a tour you ask? Because they were bored.
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Yes S was in the right to decline. If you are not buying anything, you are not a customer. Seriously, some people........

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      If you are in a store to buy, you are a customer.

If you are in a store to maybe buy or not you are a potential customer.

If you are in a store and you know you are not going to buy, you are a loiterer.

If you are in a store making a nuisance of yourself, you are a trespasser.
                      *nod*

What RK said.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X